LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So recently I have been getting a cracking sound from my clutch when I let it out all the way. Well it turns out around my clutch master cylinder there is a crack about 2inches long. Any ideas what caused this? I have a monster stage 2 clutch in the car. Has anyone every expercienced this before? What did you do?

Here are the pics everyone has wanted:

·
Frantically Modding
4,458 Posts
So recently I have been getting a cracking sound from my clutch when I let it out all the way. Well it turns out around my clutch master cylinder there is a crack about 2inches long. Any ideas what caused this? I have a monster stage 2 clutch in the car. Has anyone every expercienced this before? What did you do?
I have personally never witnessed this, easy enough to fix just a mother to get to.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have personally never witnessed this, easy enough to fix just a mother to get to.
you thinking take everything off and put a bracket on there so it is stronger???

·
Nothing is free.
531 Posts
you thinking take everything off and put a bracket on there so it is stronger???

There is barely anyroom to doing that, unless i'ts like 1/8in thick.
I'm just trying to picture was happent to him..

I have a tick's master and a stage 2 monster on the way. lol

Not something I want to hear.

One thing you can do is buy and aftermarket cylinder and it comes with bracket, for example the ticks master.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is barely anyroom to doing that, unless i'ts like 1/8in thick.
I'm just trying to picture was happent to him..

I have a tick's master and a stage 2 monster on the way. lol

Not something I want to hear.

One thing you can do is buy and aftermarket cylinder and it comes with bracket, for example the ticks master.
well I will have pics hopefully soon... it is kind of a pain to get in that little area and take a pic.

·
cave dweller
7,278 Posts
I've seen it on some older cars before, just never on a newer GTO.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does anyone think this could be my clutch or is there some other issue

·
Administrator
16,444 Posts
This has nothing at all to do with any clutch. It's simply a weak area. Most vehicles have doubler plates in this area much thicker than that of the GTO. I knew I would hear of or see this issue eventually, just didn't expect it so soon.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This has nothing at all to do with any clutch. It's simply a week area. Most vehicles have doubler plates in this area much thicker than that of the GTO. I knew I would hear of or see this issue eventually, just didn't expect it so soon.
well what the hell do i do now???

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Weld the crack shut, grind smooth, & add an 1/16" plate to the area using existing bolts. I believe I would add the material to the inside of the firewall.
that is what I am thinking.. kinda. I was thinking about adding the plate to the engine bay though. I like the idea of using the existing bolts. why do you believe to add it from the cabin not the engine bay

·
Administrator
16,444 Posts
that is what I am thinking.. kinda. I was thinking about adding the plate to the engine bay though. I like the idea of using the existing bolts. why do you believe to add it from the cabin not the engine bay
Due to the direction of force. Make a cardboard template that fits properly. Transfer the pattern over to 1/16 plate, paint it, and bolt it in.

·
GOATFEST 9 COMING SOON!!!
2,567 Posts
Definitely interested in seeing some pictures... my buddies GTO has a weird creaking sound everytime he pushes the clutch in. He has the Tick master... and the problem developed after about a year of good use. I wonder if this might be the issue and its slowly been getting worse over time...

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have some pics but they are terrible. I am going to get better ones. The car is currently at the shop right now. There was a hole drilled in the firewall to temporarily fix the crack from going any further. that will be all welded up along with a plate for more support.

·
Administrator
16,444 Posts
I have some pics but they are terrible. I am going to get better ones. The car is currently at the shop right now. There was a hole drilled in the firewall to temporarily fix the crack from going any further. that will be all welded up along with a plate for more support.
Bravo... Sounds like they know what their doing. Good luck on the repair, and let us know about the outcome of the correction.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bravo... Sounds like they know what their doing. Good luck on the repair, and let us know about the outcome of the correction.
car is being taken apart friday. I will try to get good pics then. then put back together some time soon lol
thanks for the help

·
Administrator
16,444 Posts
car is being taken apart friday. I will try to get good pics then. then put back together some time soon lol
thanks for the help
No problem. Even as thin as it is, I am really surprised to see this showing up so soon. I will keep a close eye on mine.

·
GOATFEST 9 COMING SOON!!!
2,567 Posts
This has me thinking about making my own little plate for when I install my Tick master on my next GTO. Just as a preventative... may as well while I already have that SOB out!

1 - 20 of 120 Posts