LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I hate you
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car to the local dealer to get my SLP UD pulley installed (they actually said they will do it..and for 65 bucks) yesterday morning. Around noon I get a call that they got to my car and the factory pulley is off and I should have my car back shortly.

Around 4:30 I was getting a little worried...so I gave the dealership a call. I wasn't aware that you had to take the starter off to do a pulley swap...but when the tech took my starter off to get to my fly wheel, the tech noticed that the starter housing was cracked.

I was then informed that no one had a starter in stock. They said they didn't want me to leave with a cracked starter...and they said they hope to have my back in my car the next day.

I swear....everything I do to my car...something else always happens.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Bummer... but you should feel lucky, they caught it before it caused a problem.

BTW... how does a starter get cracked???

·
I hate you
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no clue...it might have been a defect when it was manufactured...or as my boss put it...it was cracked when the tech dropped it when he was working on your car...LMAO

·
I hate you
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bronko91 said:
Yea, you pull the starter to lock the engine from turning so you can pull/install the crank bolt.
Damn I feel stupid...learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
it sucks but if its covered thats just a minor setback.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Wow, that's a bummer. Ask for the old starter back, or at least to take some pictures of it. I'm curious to see how/where it cracked...

·
What the....
2,590 Posts
That little starter has a helluva lot of torque to spin over the motor. They will self destruct if there is a flaw in the case.

·
I hate you
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll take a camera up there with me and take some pics of it. Hopefully I'll get a call today.

·
gotta love a gto
1,096 Posts
Doubt They Will Show You, It Is Turned In For Warranty. If It Wasn't Warranty Then You Could Pay A Core Charge And Get It Back.

·
I hate you
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my buddy there is the suspension guy (and OMG has he been doing strut replacements and sway bar bushing galore on 2006 gtos) He said if I needed to see a part...even if it isn't his specialty..he can pull it aside and let me look at it. Not sure on pics though.....but we shall see.

·
I hate you
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok..got the car back. By the time I got there...the part was already gone. My friend took a pic on his camera phone....but it didn't turn out that well.

The damage wasn't as bad as they originally said. The part of the starter that cracked...was at the mounting point. Where the bolt goes into. It had cracked right in the center and was going down.

Happy to have car back...no I just watch my Volt meter drop at the lights because of the UD pulley. I have a SOTP difference...but then again..I've been driving my work van the past 2 days. A honda civic would feel like a dragster.

·
Registered
25 Posts
At least its covered that could have really turned into a nightmare..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Last Rites said:
I swear....everything I do to my car...something else always happens.
I hear ya man! I wound up with a Corvette pulley from Speed inc. The shop didnt realize it was the wrong one till they had it on and torqued down and the belts didnt line up.

I get on the horn with the vendor, at least they didnt ask questions and shipped me the right one!

On top of that, the next day, one of my idler pulleys is jacked, I take it to the dealer and lo and behold, they say the A/C compressor is shot. I'm STILL waiting for parts. The rental thing sucks azz! I want my car back!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts