LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Seriously?
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll get this started...

I was in Lowes the other day and I always go to the tool section to look. They lowered the prices of the Craftsman torque wrenches by almost 50%. I picked up a 3/8 drive and 1/2 drive torque wrench for $51.xx each. They were priced at $90 each. They are not Snap On but they aren't Harbor Freight either. Comes with a nice case to store it in when not being used. Go get you one!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-1-2-in-Drive-Click-Torque-Wrench-50-ft-lb-to-250-ft-lb/1000772366

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-3-8-in-Drive-Click-Torque-Wrench-20-ft-lb-to-100-ft-lb/1000772356

·
Registered
40 Posts
They are imported and no different than Harbor Freight torque wrenches.

That is to say... They probably work just fine.

I somehow have accumulated a variety of harbor freight and Ridgid (USA made) TQ wrenches.

The convenience of HF is the warranty. Pop in and swap it out.

·
GR-RRR!
7,150 Posts
I have four torque wrenches. One I bought as a teenager, Craftsman, others I inherited from my dad and my uncle. The ancient Craftsman is still perfectly calibrated even after all these years, after all the use and after having been loaned out to hamfisted "friends" who don't know how to treat a proper tool (a borrowed one no less). Same with the ancient Snap-On which came from my uncle who was a mechanic. Good tools last. Point being, torque wrenches don't have to be considered super delicate works of art. Find a good one, even a good used one, and occasionally check its calibration. The biggest point to a torque wrench is consistency, not necessarily an absolutely exact torque, plus/minus 1 to 2 % is considered pretty good. Also, testing equipment doesn't have to be all the sophisticated, just used properly.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
1,565 Posts
Good find, thanks! I need to get a replacement for my 1/2" drive torque wrench. The selector mechanism sometimes moves to a neutral position where the wrench just spins around or even reverses itself. There's something loose/broken inside, and I'm tired of messing with it.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,597 Posts
The only issue I had with my Craftsman torque wrenches was the chrome coating was starting to flake off the head, which isn't ideal when torqueing internal engine bolts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts