LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
My other car has wings
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are several good crank pin kits available but my question is a little different. Lets say you install a pin kit and then sometime down the road you do a timing chain or cam swap, now how do you get the balancer side of the holes lined up with the crank holes for a re-install? The longitudinal drill kits would be hard to line up again for a re-install. It would be a piece of cake if the holes were all the way thru the damper so you could use a long dowel to line up but that's not the case. When I did my cam swap last year my damper fits way too tight on the crank to rotate it to line up the pin holes after its on the crank more than a half inch or so. Am I missing something? The last thing I would want to do is drill more holes in that crank snout! What's the trick for re-installation? I didn't want to have to buy the 2 piece ATI balancer with the perpendicular pin kit for my supercharger install.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Using the ati myself. Still used a regular pin kit as the crank was keyed while it was out.

Assuming it will come out once the pulley is off, could by a long dowel and cut it down once it’s seated. Should be cheap and available at hardware stores.

Not sure what I’m going to do yet but I have to swap the cam again sometime this winter.

·
My other car has wings
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm waiting for a reply from Magnacharger on my question. If there isn't a guaranteed way to re-align the pin holes on re-installation I'm gonna take the plunge on an ATI with the perpendicular pin kit that rides in the ATI balancer key way. I wonder why the hell GM didn't key the crank/damper in the first place?

·
GR-RRR!
4,584 Posts
I wonder why the hell GM didn't key the crank/damper in the first place?
It is a very slight taper fit with a huge bolt torqued to the moon and from GM's perspective it was never intended to turn anything more difficult than a water pump, alternator and AC and PS accessories. Just no need for a keyway. So, one less machining step and eliminates the possibility of jacking up a crank or damper during the engine build (like as if someone tries to install the damper without it being perfectly lined up with the key). Another aspect is that dampers fail in two basic ways, either the rubber holding the outer ring to the inner hub or it cracks at the hub, almost always at the keyway slot. No keyway slot and you eliminate one possible failure point.

·
My other car has wings
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ATI is selling blemished dampers for the GTO on Ebay right now for $300, so I said smurf it and bought one along with their perpendicular pin kit. They are going to add a 2nd key-way 180 degrees opposite the key-way they already have in their hub so I can install 2 pins. Therefore, in the future if I ever have to pull the damper it will be easy to line up the damper for re-install.
Problem solved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts