LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wife says our riding lawnmower has been cutting out; She showed me yesterday and it wasn't a spark related miss. The flow out of the fuel filter wasn't that great, so I ran to the store and replaced it. That fixed it right away and it ran normally again.

I run this mower on ethanol-free gas, either from Buckees or from an rural station that sells it.

The problem is that I often run this same fuel, from the same two stations, in my GTO. (it both runs better and gets better mpg). Now I'm considering adding a fuel filter after cutting open the lawn mower filter, and finding all of this fine crap inside.

It's finer than sand, but slightly more coarse than baking flour. Be aware that the filter is less than a year old - I replaced the carb, fuel lines and filter in the summer of 2020 - so this isn't years of build up.

Has someone added a filter? GM used a very simple, inline filter in their TBI and lower pressure vehicles (like a Wix 33481) but I'm not sure what would be best suited for our higher pressure fuel injection.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe it's time for you to stop being afraid of ethanol and get gas from a good station.
You've spoken positively of ethanol in the past. I've replaced 2 lawnmower carbs, and fought for months trying to find a replacement carb for a 30yr old Kawasaki 3-wheeler due to its damage. I think I'm going to stay on this side of my line in the sand (no pun intended).

·
Worthless reject member
48,501 Posts
Odd, my lawnmower runs fine as do all our cars and my remaining GTO which runs on e85.

I think your problem is more ho-dunk gas station related and not the gas itself. Their tanks are probably trashed.

(Edited repeatedly because i can't speeeeeeell.)

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
I run 91 no e in my dirtbike and mowing equipment. No issues from this station but its popular and new.

Rural leads me to think old tank. Our cars have the filter sock for the pump then the fuel filter.

I have the 33481 wix on my car right now.

Are you sure its not filter breaking down?

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Wow that's a lot of shit. Can you see it gathering in the bottom of the tank? Or perhaps in the bottom of your gas cans before you even pour it in?

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,350 Posts
Just cross 172,000 miles this weekend and the car has been using regular E10 its whole life.
Don't be afraid, join us, the ethanol is nice and warm. :coffee:

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Wow that's a lot of shit. Can you see it gathering in the bottom of the tank? Or perhaps in the bottom of your gas cans before you even pour it in?
Good point. It would definitely settle in the gas can if thats where its coming from.

Im leaning towards filter material breaking down

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,563 Posts
Adding an external filter wouldn't be hard. The tank already has quick disconnects, so you could plumb something inline at the back of the car.

Good point. It would definitely settle in the gas can if thats where its coming from.

Im leaning towards filter material breaking down
That's my thinking, as well. My second choice would be the carb float breaking down.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Suprised you can use that little plastic filer, used one for a test and it broke from the pressure. Takes just a few minutes to add an additional filter, as I doubt any of that stuff was getting past the entire filter housing.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fortunately, the gas cap on the lawn mower is at easy place to take off and look down into the tank. I can see a fine silt at the bottom of my riding mower's gas tank, so it definitely came out of one of my cans. We live on 1+ acres and go through gas pretty fast, so one of the trips to fill the can must have been with fuel riddled with this powdery silt. I can't see into the gas can itself - it's a metal, Eagle safety can and it has a mesh screen recessed into the opening, making it hard to shine a light down in there. I could pour it out into something else, though.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Suprised you can use that little plastic filer, used one for a test and it broke from the pressure. Takes just a few minutes to add an additional filter, as I doubt any of that stuff was getting past the entire filter housing.
The filter example in the pic is from my lawn mower, not my GTO. What they have in common is that I often fuel my GTO at the same station.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I run 91 no e in my dirtbike and mowing equipment. No issues from this station but its popular and new.

Rural leads me to think old tank. Our cars have the filter sock for the pump then the fuel filter.

I have the 33481 wix on my car right now.

Are you sure its not filter breaking down?
I agree. I always knew that our cars really dont have a easily serviceable filter, which is why I'm concerned.

You say you have a 33481 - Did you modify the fuel lines and install it yourself? My Chev truck and '95 Camaro had the same design, and oh how I wish the GTO did, too.

I'm pretty sure the lawn mower filter wasn't breaking down - It was always opaque and is less than a year old. I did replace it with a perfectly clear one that's twice it's size last week, so I can spot this next time at a glance.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
I agree. I always knew that our cars really dont have a easily serviceable filter, which is why I'm concerned.

You say you have a 33481 - Did you modify the fuel lines and install it yourself? My Chev truck and '95 Camaro had the same design, and oh how I wish the GTO did, too.

I'm pretty sure the lawn mower filter wasn't breaking down - It was always opaque and is less than a year old. I did replace it with a perfectly clear one that's twice it's size last week, so I can spot this next time at a glance.
i reworked my feed line from the tank to the hardline. spliced in there essentially.

so tank outlet -> filter -> hardline

·
Registered
877 Posts
I took the stock line at the back and cut the hose off and replaced it with new gas hose as it was leaking. Kept the stock fittings. Could easily add a filter in it.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Not only is there a sock on the pump inlet, there also is a filter made into the pump assy. It is changeable, but requires pulling the tank and fuel pump/bucket assy. Our vehicles are designed to be compatible with the E10. Yard equipment is not and specifically states that in the manuals.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Not only is there a sock on the pump inlet, there also is a filter made into the pump assy. It is changeable, but requires pulling the tank and fuel pump/bucket assy. Our vehicles are designed to be compatible with the E10. Yard equipment is not and specifically states that in the manuals.
"changeable" by changing the bucket top half which cant be bought by itself - so buy a whole new oem pump assembly. not worth the money

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Filter is available by itself. I paid 25 or 30 bucks. I'll find the part number when I get back to the house

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Filter is available by itself. I paid 25 or 30 bucks. I'll find the part number when I get back to the house
You and hubert keep saying that but theres no way to change it without dremeling apart the plastic. So you still must be talking about the top bucket half. And ive not seen it separate.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
You and hubert keep saying that but theres no way to change it without dremeling apart the plastic. So you still must be talking about the top bucket half. And ive not seen it separate.
It snaps in, you don't have to Dremel, cut etc anything

1 - 20 of 27 Posts