LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got done swapping out the speakers and running the wires for an amp install.

As usual, I cant make it through an install without snapping something. I post my lesson learned to help any others avoid these pitfalls.

1- Broke the snap click on both driver and passenger door front interior mirror cover. (The triangle piece in the front of your windows). Its a ***** to get them out cleanly so use caution and pull slowly. One one side the white clip broke, on the other, the plastic mount for the clip.

2- Be reallly carefull with the door lock lever covers. Stupid little plastic things. They come off easy enough, but for the love of god, how they go back on without stripping is beyond me. Any suggestions for others would be welcome.

3- Passenger side seat raid covers. Was always a little difficult to keep in place anyway, but it snapped going back in. Move the seats up as high as they will go vertically to ease your pain.

All in all, this car was very easy to take apart. Easiest one I have owned. And there is mega room for running wires and such.

·
MAX-M6/LS1
223 Posts
How About The Door Panels, How Did You Remove Them? I Want To Remove The Old Subs Also Now That I Have The Jl But Haven't Found Out How To Remove Them From The Rear Deck.

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Well, since you asked...

Alexandria-GTO said:
Ok so I got done swapping out the speakers and running the wires for an amp install.

... 2- Be reallly carefull with the door lock lever covers. Stupid little plastic things. They come off easy enough, but for the love of god, how they go back on without stripping is beyond me. Any suggestions for others would be welcome. ...
According to the Helm manual, those are supposed to be one-time-use items. Take one off? Replace it.

I just slipped mine out a little bit - enough to lift/remove the lever - and then reused them. I have had both door panels off twice and no problems so far.

Diggs

·
Evil Conservative Hatemonger
1,238 Posts
Snap clips are evil. They seem like whoever designed them intended to make them so easy to break unless you remove them just right!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went last night to the local Pontiac Dealer and ordered my replacements. I couldnt get the red tab out to save my life and mine wouldnt lift up enough to clear the door :(

Other than the door locks and the plastic pillars of "Snap Off", its a fairly easy door removal.

Miscreant (I think) posted diagrams of how to take the front doors apart.

First break (did I say break? I meant take!!) off the Traingle Vent Covers of Death. Very carefully and slowly pull the whole thing directly away from the window. It will just pop off (hopefully)

Basically its one screw in the door jam, two on the trailing edge and four underneath. After that you have two screws on the door release lever, one for the lever and then one just behind it securing the door. Lift up then slightly out, then remove the clips for the door light in the bottom trailing edge. (and the clip for the mirror control if drivers side) and I think you are done.

I think.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts