LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen numerous posts on the subframe bushing install and the one in the KB and noticed a lot of questions as to where to support the car with jack stand, but no real answers. What has everyone been using to support the car so that you can still get to the bushings. I saw somewhere that the frame by the catback to midpipe connection along with the IRS was used, is this safe? Also, are we supposed to use any type of grease with the Noltec bushings?

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I personally used a lift to get the car in the air. I supported the car at the lift point suggested by your service manual. Have a jack ready to support the rear section of the sub frame. Spring preassure will force the frame down.

I see you are in Mass. Where abouts are you? I could give you a hand. Supposed to go to Mass to help two other GTO owners to help them with there LT installs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in Rockland, any help I get get would be much appreciated, although this install seems pretty straight forward, I just don't want to have the car fall on me or worse yet, damage the car

·
06 m6
164 Posts
prl34 said:
I am in Rockland, any help I get get would be much appreciated, although this install seems pretty straight forward, I just don't want to have the car fall on me or worse yet, damage the car
as a guy comes out from under the car with a broken arm, is the car OK. and a friend asks we sould get you to the doctor, then says no you should get that other jack and help me get her back in the air.:patriot: lol. I too love my car that much. by the way are'nt them bolts tty (one time use) 45. from GM only. I would make sure you have new ones.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
I know I'll probably get yelled at but I used a bottle jack on the tie down loop right in front of the rear wheel. With my side exhaust on the subframe bushing install was an ordeal. :banghead: 2+ hours for each side.

·
06 m6
164 Posts
radkon said:
I know I'll probably get yelled at but I used a bottle jack on the tie down loop right in front of the rear wheel. With my side exhaust on the subframe bushing install was an ordeal. :banghead: 2+ hours for each side.
at least it done, and you have all your fingers 1-2-3-4 . 4, thats all you should have right.:)

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
burnz said:
at least it done, and you have all your fingers 1-2-3-4 . 4, thats all you should have right.:)
11 last time I counted :D

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
prl34 said:
Also, are we supposed to use any type of grease with the Noltec bushings?
Use Lithium grease where the poly touches metal, that isnt bonded to the poly :thumbs:

Give us a call if you'd like to go over it in more detail.

·
06 m6
164 Posts
radkon said:
11 last time I counted :D
OK, mabe I was wrong. but I know for sure your suppose to have 12 toes. I lost one in a bike accident when I was younger now I have 13.:D

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Just PM me if you would like a hand.

·
06 m6
164 Posts
Black Devil said:
Just PM me if you would like a hand.
sorry for the highjack. got carried away,thought he was done with the Q and A. realy make sure you change the torque to yeild bolts, unless you plane on doing a cradle alginment some time soon and your changing them then. good luck. oh yea, I don't know about the noltec bushings. but on the pedders you almost never use grease. only use a soap or winshield washer fluid, pretty much anything that will dry up. the grease will end up leting the bushings to move when they should'nt.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
That's no problem burnz. I just thought prl34 just wanted to do this himself.

BTW, I just reused my original bolts, but after cleaning the threads in the hole, and on the bolts. Then added red loctight. Never used grease or any lubricant.

·
06 m6
164 Posts
Black Devil said:
That's no problem burnz. I just thought prl34 just wanted to do this himself.

BTW, I just reused my original bolts, but after cleaning the threads in the hole, and on the bolts. Then added red loctight. Never used grease or any lubricant.
cool not looking to piss off anybody, fig. he had to info he needed. and to do the work your self is half the fun of haveing this car, it's like the future gear head. you never seen the guys with the old cars mod them as fast as we are. seen this guy the other day he has only 5000 mi on his gto and already has 10000.-12000. into mods with out haveing a charger.it's a new game from when I grew up.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I wish I could mod that much. I just love diving this car too much to take her down for a long time. She does sit in the winter inside. No snow, really cold weather, I also hate driving in the rain. Sometimes, it happens though.

·
06 m6
164 Posts
Black Devil said:
I wish I could mod that much. I just love diving this car too much to take her down for a long time. She does sit in the winter inside. No snow, really cold weather, I also hate driving in the rain. Sometimes, it happens though.
yea, been working with my INS. guy to drop some of the coverage over the winter. still mite want to take her out on a nice day. for the mods only the spring and shifter right now. mostly just trying to fix the factory fu** ups (wheel hop) the sifter was a pushed mod, but needed. had to buy something when I retured the drag bags.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you for all the info guys, burnz don't worry about it, I didn't consider any hijacking going on. joking around is half the fun of these forums.

Black Devil, I pm'ed you

·
06 m6
164 Posts
prl34 said:
thank you for all the info guys, burnz don't worry about it, I didn't consider any hijacking going on. joking around is half the fun of these forums.

Black Devil, I pm'ed you
hope all go's good, looking to do the same some time soon. ( realy do only have 9 toes) had to much fun when I was younger. :gr_devil:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts