LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much valvetrain noise do those of you with aftermarket cams get?
Mine's not terrible, but its more than I would like. I understand they're noisy motors naturally and the valvetrain components required for the ramp rates and such just caush more noise.
However, it did increase notably after installing the cam. The only way that kind of clickety noise will come around is if there's clearance somewhere opening up that wasn't there before, correct?
What would getting a slightly longer set of pushrods do for the situation? I imagine that's where the clearance problem exists...
Does anyone have any input? Just throwing it out there, stuck at work and have been thinking about it...
 

·
73 Plymouth Barracuda
Joined
·
695 Posts
Mine is also noisy. In fact I'm not happy with it. The car sounds good when you stand in back of the car, but in the front it sounds like lifters. Does something need to be adjusted?
 

·
Growing up is an option
Joined
·
17,296 Posts
the cure for a noisy valvetrain is a louder exhaust.... or more cow bell :D
 

·
Resident Head Installer
Joined
·
519 Posts
I say trade it for a new 06. Then go with a S/C instead of a cam.

:)

I realize I'm adding no value whatsoever to this thread, so I will now STFU.
 

·
Deuce and a Half
Joined
·
1,880 Posts
Jon01 said:
How much valvetrain noise do those of you with aftermarket cams get?
Mine's not terrible, but its more than I would like. I understand they're noisy motors naturally and the valvetrain components required for the ramp rates and such just caush more noise.
However, it did increase notably after installing the cam. The only way that kind of clickety noise will come around is if there's clearance somewhere opening up that wasn't there before, correct?
What would getting a slightly longer set of pushrods do for the situation? I imagine that's where the clearance problem exists...
Does anyone have any input? Just throwing it out there, stuck at work and have been thinking about it...
the geometry of the lobes will be different on an aftermarket cam usually(ramp rate). this will cause if setup so the valves to open and shut much quicker and they tend to cause a louder valvetrain. There's nothing you can do. The thinner walled stainless headers also let more valve noise come out than with the thick walled cast ones.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
82,628 Posts
I've got a disease and the cure is more cow bell!

Noisey valve train is a factory thing, and a cam just amplifies the sound, its needed evil.
 

·
Former GTO Owner
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
I know that this is an expensive fix, but maybe that Crane rocker kit might take care of the noise. I have heard it does make everything quieter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Simply put, the louder valvtrain noise is from the stiffer springs usually associated with the more agressive ramp rates the springs have to control slamming the valves shut harder than the stockers did, make sense. That being said I put alot of time in my valvtrain and when it was all said and done I came out with .010 more preload than the factory specs and my setup is slightly louder than stock and only because my headers so I am happy about that, but I also have a small cam too.
 

·
Used to have one
Joined
·
4,734 Posts
alot of that clicking noise is the injectors...they tend to be the noise i notice most when the hood is open...other than that the ls based motors are just loud motors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
LITE SPD said:
I know that this is an expensive fix, but maybe that Crane rocker kit might take care of the noise. I have heard it does make everything quieter.

doubtful. my last LS1 car had comp magnum roller rockers with around 580 lift and it was really noisy.

its unfortunate, but if you want more power with these motors, you are just going to have to live with the valvetrain noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, but I'm not willing to accept the ramp rate/stiff spring argument anymore.
Mine was a bit noisy with the stock cam, but not nearly as ticky as it has been since I stuck the cam in.
I don't see how stiffer springs will equate to the kind of noise the motors are making. All they do is put more pressure on things to keep lifters from ramping off the steeper lobe angles. Ramp rate shouldn't matter either, at idle/cruising speed, even stock valvespring seat pressure should be able to control the inertia and keep things from bouncing off of each other.
It's a distinct CLICK, as if there was clearance between two pieces of metal and it was quickly closed, or at least the motors that I've heard have sounded like this.
I've been around things long enough to know injector noise, it's definitely not that. Similar in pitch maybe but more amplified sounding.
Also been fooling with motors long enough to know what a misadjusted rocker sounds like. Definitely sounds like that.
If the motor had adjustable rockers on it I'd be running the valves with it idling to try to get it quieted down. Been there, done that, my Charger has a solid flat tappet, spent plenty of time adjusting valves.
I was of the impression that the aftermarket cams for these motors were created from fresh blanks, not reground OE blanks, or is this incorrect?
If they are regrinds that explains a lot, reduced base circle would open that clearance up.
 

·
Been here for a long time...
Joined
·
4,659 Posts
Its normal for the most part. Headers amplify it even more. Could be your pushrods are too short. Get a checker in there to make sure. Geometry could be off as a result.

Just have to remember, there is no sound deadening with the LSx engines. Aluminun block and heads and plastic intake does nothing in the way of sound quieting.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,185 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
itsme4g63 said:
How bout thicker oil?
I think with the tighter clearances in these LSx motors that wouldn't be a good idea. Some amount of valvetrain noise is normal, but if it is really excessive I would do some checking on pushrod length, preload and valvetrain geometry.
 

·
I'm gonna get you!
Joined
·
2,812 Posts
Jon01 said:
Sorry, but I'm not willing to accept the ramp rate/stiff spring argument anymore.
Mine was a bit noisy with the stock cam, but not nearly as ticky as it has been since I stuck the cam in.
I don't see how stiffer springs will equate to the kind of noise the motors are making. All they do is put more pressure on things to keep lifters from ramping off the steeper lobe angles. Ramp rate shouldn't matter either, at idle/cruising speed, even stock valvespring seat pressure should be able to control the inertia and keep things from bouncing off of each other.
It's a distinct CLICK, as if there was clearance between two pieces of metal and it was quickly closed, or at least the motors that I've heard have sounded like this.
I've been around things long enough to know injector noise, it's definitely not that. Similar in pitch maybe but more amplified sounding.
Also been fooling with motors long enough to know what a misadjusted rocker sounds like. Definitely sounds like that.
If the motor had adjustable rockers on it I'd be running the valves with it idling to try to get it quieted down. Been there, done that, my Charger has a solid flat tappet, spent plenty of time adjusting valves.
I was of the impression that the aftermarket cams for these motors were created from fresh blanks, not reground OE blanks, or is this incorrect?
If they are regrinds that explains a lot, reduced base circle would open that clearance up.
The valves are opening further and often fasted due to lobe design. The heavier spring pressure can also give them more acceleration when closing. It's not a matter of clearance but of the fact that your slapping both the lifters and the valves faster and often harder.
 

·
73 Plymouth Barracuda
Joined
·
695 Posts
How about roller rocker arms? 1.7 or 1.8 and are they adjustable? If they are adjustable won't that take care of most of the noise?
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Top