LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to switch up my exhaust again. A few years ago I fabbed the exhaust though the lower valance with Lexus bezels. Even before that I always dreamed of putting a 4th gen Camaro CME tip on a 04 bumper. I've seen it done and liked the look. Plus I had a 2001 Camaro with the SLP CME exhaust so it reminds me of my old car too lol. So over I eventually got an 04 bumper (more than one actually) and a CME tip from a Camaro. Its not a real one pretty sure its a replica but oh well. I had the parts sitting in the basement for almost a year and was planning on only redoing the axle back part. Then I upgraded from my MP112 to a TVS 2300 at 16-17lbs of boost and already have Kooks 1 7/8" headers and mids that are 3" so I decided to fab my own 3" all the way from the mids back. I got a bunch of bends, pipe, hangers, flanges, mufflers, etc from Summit and got to work. I did aluminized tube since I have a mig welder and only drive the car on sunny summer days. I painted everything after it was all welded with high temp paint anyways.

I ordered a 3" X-pipe too but when I got it I saw it necked down to 2.5" inside so decided to make my own H-pipe instead. For mufflers I got Cherry Bomb Salute 1229's. I put 2 in 04 location and 2 more behind axle. They are straight through so I got 4 because I like my car somewhat quiet for normal driving. Magnaflow 11229's would have been quieter but they are $105 each vs $32 for Cherry Bombs, which are still stainless. I also put electric cutouts before the rear mufflers for days when I wanted a little more volume (cars and coffee, etc). I did this instead of in the mid pipes just because open headers is just too loud for me and would rarely open them. Having them before the rear mufflers with turn downs ended up being pretty cool, the overall volume isn't insane yet makes much more "bass" in the cabin. I really like it. It was an easy project, just time consuming cutting and test fitting all the bends over and over. I did have to cut out a little of the spare tire cavity to make room for the CME tip since its up high enough. But that was easy to cut out and weld sheet metal back in.

Then it was time to modify the bumper. I had an 2 extra donor bumpers so I cut out the passenger side corner and used that to fill in the original driver side exhaust outlet notch. Took quite a bit of massaging and was not a direct fit but it made a nice base to build off of instead of fiberglassing it completely. I used Pliogrip repair adhesive and mesh backing. Then cut out the lower lip of the bumper in the center where the tip goes. The lower lip isn't quite enough to make the bottom of the tip flush with the bottom of the bumper but I wasnt going to cut any higher up since at that point it would look worse since it would mess up the body lines. I left the axle back slip fit with band clamps temporarily since that allows me to adjust how far the tip protrudes from the bumper. Once I'm happy with its location I will mark the pipes, cut them, and weld on flanges.

Overall I'm happy with how it turned out. Its quite a bit louder than my 2.5" setup even with 4 mufflers. It is deeper sounding too which makes it sound pretty mean at idle, but when you get on it I was a little surprised how loud it is, even with the cutouts closed. Slowly my car is acquiring more and more 04 parts lol. I also got a different trunk lid and filled the spoiler/rear emblem holes and painted that same time I did the bumper. I haven't had a chance to get it out much and still has storage tires on it but once I do I will post some better pics of the finished product.

Now for the pics! Old setup and new.

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm curious as to why you painted the exhaust black?
I tucked it up as high as possible but the pipes/elbows on each side of the tip hang down a little lower than the bottom of the bumper and were really noticeable when silver. I painted them satin black and they virtually disappear. Now from behind only the tip (and my harrop cover) really stick out not the jungle gym of exhaust tubing/cutouts. Just personal preference.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,111 Posts
That's very SLP of you.

Very sharp fabrication. Surprised you moved away from that Lexus-style setup your build years back.

·
06 Cyclone GTO
3,526 Posts
Wow! Good job! It looks great!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts