LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· 14s lol
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost 10 years ago I bought one of the last NOS pairs of the cv8r tail lights from jhp, including bulbs and harnesses. I can't find any for sale anywhere, and I'm curious as to what they are worth now. They have never been installed on my car, still in the original boxes. I know of a only a few forum members who had them back when this car was still new and many who have painted stock tail lights to match. I might sell them to fund some mods for cts v2 but have no basis on what they are worth (beyond what I paid years ago).

· Administrator
11,677 Posts
I wouldn’t take less than a cool grand for a set of NOS blood red CV8-R’s

I spent well over a year searching for a set of NOS CV8 tails that I had shipped over from AUS so I could have Tim convert them to true authentic blood red replicas. Even those I wouldn’t let go for less than a grand.

· Registered
123 Posts
Well. If you want to sell them and you're trying to flush out the highest bidder...

I second $1k minimum. They are certainly top 5 unobtainium.

I have a set and wouldn't sell them for less than a nauseating amount to most.

· 14s lol
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, that was kind of the minimum I was thinking they would go for. I'm very torn about selling them or just finally installing them on the car.

· Administrator
11,677 Posts
What tails do you have on it now? Stock 04’s?

If so, hell yeah you need to put those things on the car. I’ve been saving mine specifically for the off chance I get a QSM in the future as I believe they look the absolute best on that color.

Reactions: HellaciousA

· Registered
270 Posts
To the right person agreed $1000

The only issue is since all Holden tails have the same 3 parts numbers for cv8 cv8r and hsv engraved on the back there’s ZERO way to distinguish OEM cv8rs against modded cv8s that have been opened and blacked out which then technically speaking diminishes value on “used” ones. Since you have the boxes there’s a solid argument to be had they are legit and therefore worth it.

that being said deals can be had… I had 2 sets of oem nos 06 and while these clearly aren’t nos due to lack of plastic film cover and bubble wrap envelope they are the cleanest set I’ve seen come up in awhile. CV8 tails are still available new. Just bake them open them and black out the chrome and poof cv8rs. Anyone can also open up cv8s blacken them and them modify 06 brake globes and slap on clear lenses and boom HSV 427s.

Attachments

· Administrator
11,677 Posts
Anyone can also open up cv8s blacken them and them modify 06 brake globes and slap on clear lenses and boom HSV 427s.
Semi-427’s.

I tried to go down this rabbit hole last year to create authentic looking 427’s. It’s impossible as the only red brake globes with the correct j-e-wling are genuine 427 globes, so you’d need a pair of damaged 427 tails to create authentic looking replicas.

It is possible to replicate authentic blood red tails with a pair of CV8 tails though.

Reactions: bo06gto

· Registered
270 Posts
Semi-427’s.

I tried to go down this rabbit hole last year to create authentic looking 427’s. It’s impossible as the only red brake globes with the correct j-e-wling are genuine 427 globes, so you’d need a pair of damaged 427 tails to create authentic looking replicas.

It is possible to replicate authentic blood red tails with a pair of CV8 tails though.
Even Tim hasn’t blown apart 427s, I however have. The back of the chrome is what has the ultra fine reflector. The red globe can be made to work with CV8s the only difference being 06s have a tab that sticks out to meet the side reflector and the fact the globe has the disco ball effect to the smooth bowl of the CV8s. Alternatively you could attempt to wrap or dye the clear brake globe on the cv8s red.
Perhaps the best part of the export tail lamps is the turn and reverse chrome are built into the lens. Domestically the turn and reverse lens are separate buckets and the chrome on them is stupid thin. That’s why they peel on the edges. However the export lamps the chrome seems to haze dull and blacken (as seen below) where I’ve never seen domestics do.

Pic of the blown apart 427s I have and a 06 globe with the tab that needs hacked circled in blue.

im also fairly certain the “King” knock offs sold in AU are done using the original molds and do use the proper red brake globe with a fugly chrome bezel glued to it to avoid being sued. I however don’t feel like spending the money to import a set and be sure but they are the only aftermarket tail that uses the clear soda pop can diffusers for the brake and reverse lamp just like OEM. (Unlike the depo waffles)

Goggles Table Sunglasses Wood Tableware

Tableware Dishware Kitchen utensil Ingredient Flooring
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle

· Administrator
11,677 Posts
I have a damaged 427 that I’ve broken apart as well. I think you just proved the point I was trying to make in your above pictures, which is what Tim and I found too when we attempted to create authentic looking 427’s.

The red globes in 427’s are smooth whereas the ones in 06’s have j-e-wling.

Reactions: IBM06GTO

· Registered
270 Posts
I have a damaged 427 that I’ve broken apart as well. I think you just proved the point I was trying to make in your above pictures, which is what Tim and I found too when we attempted to create authentic looking 427’s.

The red globes in 427’s are smooth whereas the ones in 06’s have j-e-wling.
which leaves the king 427s as a source if you wanted to go that real.

no lie the way you’ve spelt ***eling out I didn’t quite follow. I just say disco ball.

edit now I see why lololololol

· Chickun maka lousy houspet
967 Posts
The last NOS CV8 "Blood Red" tail light I saw for sale was on eBay and they were asking around $450 for it. It was ONLY one side (I believe it was the passenger side). I had it saved in my "watch list" and I almost pulled the trigger, but I really don't need another tail light.

Anyway, a brand new set, never installed...I would say $1K isn't outrageous.

Too bad they don't post to the U.S...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

...now, if I used the word --> ***eled <-- would it come up or be censored :oops:

👆 👆 👆

Dang, that's some 🐂 :poop: right there!! Why are we so sensitive? I mean, what if I wanted to use the word je💎eled, 🐓tail or fumb🦆?

· Registered
270 Posts
The last NOS CV8 "Blood Red" tail light I saw for sale was on eBay and they were asking around $450 for it. It was ONLY one side (I believe it was the passenger side). I had it saved in my "watch list" and I almost pulled the trigger, but I really don't need another tail light.

Anyway, a brand new set, never installed...I would say $1K isn't outrageous.

Too bad they don't post to the U.S...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

...now, if I used the word --> ***eled <-- would it come up or be censored :oops:

👆 👆 👆

Dang, that's some 🐂 :poop: right there!! Why are we so sensitive? I mean, what if I wanted to use the word je💎eled, 🐓tail or fumb🦆?
Holmart will post to the USA and they have cv8s brand new in the box…

1 - 14 of 14 Posts