LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am looking to do a daily driver with around 500hp for cheap, whats the best way to go? It sounds like it is possible to do it NA which I would prefer because I don't want to add to much weight upfron since I will be autocrossin this car. But I don't want to do anythin extreme either. Maybe a low boost turbo? I spose I would need to lower the compression ratio even with a low boost turbo. A supercharger would work I guess but again weight and looks are important and I don't want the supercharger to detract from the engine... Anyone have any ideas on the way to go?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DevilYellow said:
put a 427 LS1 in it and leave it be
I said cheap :) Anyways, want to keep the original engine. Essentially like the car, I want it to look subtle and stock, very sleeper like...

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Nothing looks more stock than a 427 :)

By looking at the engine bay there is no way to tell at all. The only other way to get that horsepower level is with a power adder. Which not only takes away from your engines life but does cost $.

For what you will spend for a blower/turbo, new short block, DFI, fuel system, etc its almost just easier and cheaper to go with the bigger motor.

My vote: 427 with sleeper cam :D

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
My vote - get a GTO for the daily driver and build a used Corvette (or insert car of your preference) as the fun car.

That being said, Devilyellow is probably right. As a matter of fact here's a link to somebody who may be able to help you out in our area (it's a 422, but same concept):
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131902

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rschumacherfan1 said:
My vote - get a GTO for the daily driver and build a used Corvette (or insert car of your preference) as the fun car.

That being said, Devilyellow is probably right. As a matter of fact here's a link to somebody who may be able to help you out in our area (it's a 422, but same concept):
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131902
Why wouldn't I use the GTO as the fun car? :sneaky: Thats the whole point of the car. Not all of us can afford two cars. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GTOME said:
MyGTO is a fun car. Some day it will be more fun.
Thats what I love about the GTO. Its a really fun car out of the box, lot of potential for more fun, but still can be a daily driver.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
If you can afford to bump the GTO to 500 hp you can afford a stock GTO and a toy car. I'm not trying to start an argument, I personally think 500 hp is a bit much for a daily driver (especially with the road conditions we've had this year) - and probably more than you need for autocross. Since the jump from 350 to 500 will probably cost you around $10k+, I figured you get have a very respectible daily driver, and a very fun autocross car for the same total price.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, well maybe 400-450hp then for 4K ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well here is my goal then. I want the car to do mid to high 12's in the quarter. How much power do I need? I figure if stock it can do 13.6 with 8" wide rims and non sticky tires, then it should do my goal with about 450hp, 9" wide rims and some sticky summer tires... maybe 500hp is a bit much, but sometimes I just get greedy...hehe

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DevilYellow said:
heads and cam :)
Ok, if I do that, I want to buy a total package and not just a hodge podge of stuff from various sources. It seems like for the GM enthusiasts that they do a lot of their own custom work or grab things from here and there. I would prefer to buy from a company that sells a kit that includes heads and cam and has throughly tested and dynoed the kit. Anyone know of such a place? What are the good heads and cams to get? Isn't an LS6 just a different set of heads and cams?

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
If you have an M6 with headers and a decent exhaust, 420RWHP should not be too hard to get with a decent cam and heads. I would not use GM parts or stock LS6 items. I wouldnt call the aftermarket kits a "hodge podge" .... there are great LS1 head porters out there making great power. Lets just use Patriot as an example because they do not have core charges and their prices are very fair. These motors have been out for awhile and the big shops on the left should have hundereds and hundereds of Dyno runs they can show you with the popular combinations. If you do not wish to get too wild a standard 224-581 cam is a great power maker, been around for quite awhile. Drives nice when tuned but puts big cam power down to the ground. ...... as far as the ET's, thats up to you :) I cant tell you what it will do, even more so because we are just starting to race them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
you need to pay corvetteforum.com a visit and see what the vette guys are doing to the LS1. There are many 450 to 500 HP street vette's roaming the streets of America. My buddy is pushing 600 and the car is a fantastic street car.

There are many great vendor's out there with great H/C packages. I've seen as low as $2500 but average is $2800 for the LS1. Most LS1 C5's with a H/C package and headers are pushing 500 crank HP or 450 RWHP.

The LS1 is made to be modded.

Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts