LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just on a leasurely drive home today and desided to play a bit and pulled rubber from first to second, second to third and third to forth and then backed off it. Man that felt good.

TJ
OUT

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
It sure do!!!!!!!!!

tjthrows said:
I was just on a leasurely drive home today and desided to play a bit and pulled rubber from first to second, second to third and third to forth and then backed off it. Man that felt good.

TJ
OUT
It will get it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Shifty questions

Yellow Jacket M6 said:
It will get it.
OK, I have never drag raced. Only had one other manual that would get any rubber. Clarify some shifting terms for me.
When you shift without lifting throttle, what is that called?
When you shift without using clutch, what is that called (other than risky)? What is speed shifting vs. power shifting??
How are you shifting to get rubber in all or most gears?
Tnx

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I think 'speed shifting' and 'power shifting' are used differently in different areas by people so I'm not sure on that one.
Normal shifting with the clutch will spin the tires, depending on the speeds and aggressiveness of letting the clutch out, in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in some situations. It's a little hairy when the traction control kicks in at over 70 for the first time...
Dan

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
In my neck of the woods, "speed shifting" means shifting without the clutch and "power shifting" means shifting without lifting the throttle. Both are risky and neither is suitable for my new car. I'm not THAT desperate for lower times.

With T/C off, I've had success barking the tires through 4th gear. Just keep the RPMs up and dump the clutch. Remember, though, you're giving the drive train a helluva beating. I get more satisfaction out of those two or three "chirps" right off the line that tell me I've gotten a good launch, right on the edge of breaking traction. Then smooth, quick shifting, 2nd 3rd 4th, and WOW, I'm way down the road before the rest of the crowd is through the intersection... and except for 1st gear, I never got over 4000 RPM. :D

·
got rice?
480 Posts
Around here in Jersey, shifting without letting off the throttle is called WOT (wide open throttle)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I always thought the same as Florit (wait a minute. retract that statement). I agree with Florit, speed shifting is without using the clutch and power shifting is without letting up on the gas. If you want to chirp in 1-2 or 2-3 or 3-4 then 'squeeze' the gas little more between shifts and dump the clutch. Depending on the amount of gas you could go from a chirp to wheel hop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts