LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took it out today because the weather is Really REALLY nice. I popped in the newest A Perfect Circle CD, and headed toward the onramp for I-70. Half way down the ramp, no more tunes. I did have it up rather loud, but I have programmed the distortion limiter to off. The radio was still on, and displayed that it was still running. After 3 miles on the interstate I went back into town and turned it back on and it played fine. I sure hope that this is fixed, and soon. I do not want to spend money on a new stereo, since this is supposed to be the best one I have ever had in a car.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Warren said:
I took it out today because the weather is Really REALLY nice. I popped in the newest A Perfect Circle CD, and headed toward the onramp for I-70. Half way down the ramp, no more tunes. I did have it up rather loud, but I have programmed the distortion limiter to off. The radio was still on, and displayed that it was still running. After 3 miles on the interstate I went back into town and turned it back on and it played fine. I sure hope that this is fixed, and soon. I do not want to spend money on a new stereo, since this is supposed to be the best one I have ever had in a car.
I'm with you on this,but apparently many people here just prefer to buy after market stereos,therefore this problem is being ignored :mad: It's a shame that the stereo in this car is such good looking but crappy. :mad:

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Its the thermo protection system.
When this happins turn down the volume and turn off the power for 10 to 20 seconds and it will reset itself.
Try to turn down the bass a little as this will decrease harmonic distortion levels and you will have less chance of this happing again.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Running an amplifier into distortion (clipping) will cause extremely rapid heating of the output transistors and speaker voice coil. At low frequencies, the clipped waveform (caused when the signal voltage reaches the supply voltage) is a flat topped wave that represents a DC voltage at 100% duty cycle. To give you an idea, how long could you hold the business end of a 35 watt soldering iron in your hand? A voice coil and/or the tiny gold bonding wires that connect a silicon die to the terminal will melt quite quickly under a DC current of more than a few Amperes.
On the high frequency side, even relatively brief clipping will take out a tweeter, due to the ultrasonic harmonics produced. Both these phenomenon are relatively irrespective of the so-called wattage ratings of the speaker or amplifier. A 20 watt amp can easily produce 100 watts of unlistenable, speaker or transistor damaging distortion. Speakers and amplifiers are designed to reproduce music and not concentrated bursts of DC and ultrasonic energy.
The type of music will have a profound influence on the demands placed on the playback system. I listen mainly to acoustic jazz and classical music. The sound system in my GTO is capable of reproducing that music at an unnaturally high volume level, that is, a volume level one would never experience at a live performance. A different category of music, lets say hip hop or techno dance music is a little different animal, as there is no longer a live, unamplified performance to use as a point of reference in judging the accuracy of reproduction. The source of the music is almost entirely synthetic, so any concept of fidelity to the original is moot. The traditional criteria of flat frequency and time domain behavior simply don't apply.
The most dangerous type of music to reproduce would be metal, because distortion is in intregral part of the music. There is no simple way to determine if your playback system is being overdriven or not. Metal practitioners routinely destroy industrial-strength equipment in the persuit of their art. Attempting to reproduce that at home or in the car, one should expect no less.
I have actually been impressed with the overall performance of the factory stereo. Frequency balance is quite good, and the rear-deck woofers are tuned to a relatively low cutoff frequency, which is always a trade off for raw power handling, due to physical excursion limits. To summarily dismiss a given system as crap, because it will not perform certain unnatural acts, is to do an injustice to the engineers who developed it. One will never see a car factory equipped with nitrous, because the vast majority of customers would never be willing to pay the price to do it safely and reliably. The same applies to any engineering decisions on any product. One tries to do the best possible job for the largest segment of buyers. People at the extremes will be disappointed no matter what.
There are a lot of crap OEM sound systems. The one in the GTO isn't one of them.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
mistermike said:
Running an amplifier into distortion (clipping) will cause extremely rapid heating of the output transistors and speaker voice coil. At low frequencies, the clipped waveform (caused when the signal voltage reaches the supply voltage) is a flat topped wave that represents a DC voltage at 100% duty cycle. To give you an idea, how long could you hold the business end of a 35 watt soldering iron in your hand? A voice coil and/or the tiny gold bonding wires that connect a silicon die to the terminal will melt quite quickly under a DC current of more than a few Amperes.
On the high frequency side, even relatively brief clipping will take out a tweeter, due to the ultrasonic harmonics produced. Both these phenomenon are relatively irrespective of the so-called wattage ratings of the speaker or amplifier. A 20 watt amp can easily produce 100 watts of unlistenable, speaker or transistor damaging distortion. Speakers and amplifiers are designed to reproduce music and not concentrated bursts of DC and ultrasonic energy.
The type of music will have a profound influence on the demands placed on the playback system. I listen mainly to acoustic jazz and classical music. The sound system in my GTO is capable of reproducing that music at an unnaturally high volume level, that is, a volume level one would never experience at a live performance. A different category of music, lets say hip hop or techno dance music is a little different animal, as there is no longer a live, unamplified performance to use as a point of reference in judging the accuracy of reproduction. The source of the music is almost entirely synthetic, so any concept of fidelity to the original is moot. The traditional criteria of flat frequency and time domain behavior simply don't apply.
The most dangerous type of music to reproduce would be metal, because distortion is in intregral part of the music. There is no simple way to determine if your playback system is being overdriven or not. Metal practitioners routinely destroy industrial-strength equipment in the persuit of their art. Attempting to reproduce that at home or in the car, one should expect no less.
I have actually been impressed with the overall performance of the factory stereo. Frequency balance is quite good, and the rear-deck woofers are tuned to a relatively low cutoff frequency, which is always a trade off for raw power handling, due to physical excursion limits. To summarily dismiss a given system as crap, because it will not perform certain unnatural acts, is to do an injustice to the engineers who developed it. One will never see a car factory equipped with nitrous, because the vast majority of customers would never be willing to pay the price to do it safely and reliably. The same applies to any engineering decisions on any product. One tries to do the best possible job for the largest segment of buyers. People at the extremes will be disappointed no matter what.
There are a lot of crap OEM sound systems. The one in the GTO isn't one of them.
So I was kind of right?

I remembered from the last post on this subject.
Short term memory gone but long term memory not forgottin :slap:

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Holeshot said:
Short term memory gone but long term memory not forgottin :slap:
That's all right. They say if you can remember the seventies, you weren't there. Of all things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. :confused:

·
I used ta could
514 Posts
mistermike said:
That's all right. They say if you can remember the seventies, you weren't there. Of all things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. :confused:
"Slightly" Touched?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mistermike,
first i thank you for the constructive comment. Now i'll try to briefly describe why i'm not so happy with the sound system that came with our cars,also keep in mind that i'm not into hiphop,base,rap or metal,by this i mean that i'm not the type that cranks the car stereo so the whole block can hear it. I just think the heat protection device is fine and dandy but it's timing to kick in is just not right,for example:

Delco 6 speaker system volume at 10 db= clear sound (no cliping)

Blaupunkt 10 speaker system at 8 db= distorted sound (cliping) a min later shuts off automatically.

Note that i used 10 and 8 decibels as a point of reference only.

In my opinion i think the gto sound system sounds good until you try to listen to your music loud.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I haven't had a problem with this stereo either. I wish it had a little more bass to it (but not Rap style bass) as it sounds a little tinny.

However, comparing it to the infinitely more powerful Monsoon system in the Camaro, this thing is on par with the best I've ever had from the factory. It's has the technical clarity of the Bose unit I had in my Aurora it just lacks the subwoofer. It can maintain some pretty high levels of volume with minimal distortion or cut out.

·
Registered
193 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
I haven't had a problem with this stereo either. I wish it had a little more bass to it (but not Rap style bass) as it sounds a little tinny.

However, comparing it to the infinitely more powerful Monsoon system in the Camaro, this thing is on par with the best I've ever had from the factory. It's has the technical clarity of the Bose unit I had in my Aurora it just lacks the subwoofer. It can maintain some pretty high levels of volume with minimal distortion or cut out.
I hear people say all the time their camaros came with a monsoom system,but mine says Delco and it looks just like all the 97-02 systems including the ones in the vettes,did they come with two differnt options? :confused:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
RemoteControlD said:
I hear people say all the time their camaros came with a monsoom system,but mine says Delco and it looks just like all the 97-02 systems including the ones in the vettes,did they come with two differnt options? :confused:
The newer ones just had the "Monsoon" logo on the display plastic. OTherwise it's just a standard Delco headunit. The Monsoon is the amp and speaker package down stream from the headunit.

Mine also says "DELCO ELECTRONICS" but I assure you, it's a Monsoon.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
RemoteControlD said:
Mistermike,
first i thank you for the constructive comment. Now i'll try to briefly describe why i'm not so happy with the sound system that came with our cars,also keep in mind that i'm not into hiphop,base,rap or metal,by this i mean that i'm not the type that cranks the car stereo so the whole block can hear it. I just think the heat protection device is fine and dandy but it's timing to kick in is just not right,for example:

Delco 6 speaker system volume at 10 db= clear sound (no cliping)

Blaupunkt 10 speaker system at 8 db= distorted sound (cliping) a min later shuts off automatically.

Note that i used 10 and 8 decibels as a point of reference only.

In my opinion i think the gto sound system sounds good until you try to listen to your music loud.
My take on the system is that the engineers were probably very conservative setting up protection paramaters. Remember, blowchunks, oops, excuse me Blaupunkt reflects German thinking. They rarely build stuff that can be operated in such a way as to break itself, and tend to be a pretty cautious bunch. Just look at the maintainence recommendations for a BMW or Mercedes. Trying to get a deep bass tuning (Low F3) out of a 7 inch woofer demands a means of reigning in the excursions so they don't mechanically bottom out. (a truly obnoxious sound, if you've never heard it). I personally would have spec'd in a slightly larger unit, but the sound system guys are probably among the last group to get a crack at the car. No one ever redesigned the rear deck or roofline to please the audio engineers. They pretty much have to play the hand they're dealt by marketing, design, powertrain, legal, etc. The lawyers already stole half the trunk as it is. :mad:

·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mistermike, I am not saying that the stereo is junk, and if I came across as that way it was probably because of my frustration with it more than anything. It just seems strange to me that they talked up the stereo, and in MHO, it does not perform like the rest of the car - all out balls.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
That's alright. You're right about the ballsy thing. If everything on the car performed like the powertrain, the woofers could be felt a block away, and the seat advance button thingie would launch at 2.5g. If I came across as a little too pedantic, it's because audio is my worst obsession. Actually, I'm ditching the OEM rig for this nice Spark-o-matic I saw in JC Whitney. Mwahahahaaaaaa :sneaky:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
TBGTO,
We need PICS!!!
:drink: :drink:

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
You forgot!

TrueBlueGTO said:
JC Whitney!! Ooo impressive!! Personally...after doing some rough measurements I'm thinking of replacing my system. I'm gonna enter it in competition.

Go with me on this one right...6 CD's isnt' enough...I want total entertainment system compatiblity. I'm talking top of the line-state of the art equipment! Jensen AM/FM Single din head unit...Audiovox cassette player Single din underneath...a CD adapter cassette insert for my portable JVC CD player (gotta get some new AA batteries for it though). But ya ready for the coupe de ville??? A kickin' vintage Delco 8-track player in that dash top. OEM baby!! Got a sweeet deal on a Sanyo EQ box I'm gonna velcro under the steering column--got little rainbow bright light up sliders and all!!

Then in the little hideaway console under the radio, I'm squeezing in an CB from Radio Shack--it's a discontinued demo but it's got all those cool chrome buttons on it! Gotta screw in the hook for the mic on glovebox door and hang my 7 foot antenna on the rear bumper somehow. But that's not all...I'm gonna spin that rear wing 180 degrees and wire it as an antenna for my old Sears 6-inch B&W TV's--gonna use some duck tape to keep attach 'em to the back of my headrest. What do you guys thing??? I'm still working on the MP3 and 12inch album spin table--maybe the glovebox? Pretty cool huh?? :thumbs:
You forgot the homemade pager clip for the dashboard... :thumbs:

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
with some people the bass has to be felt enough to pulverize kidney stones. i'm sure that's where the drop out is coming from. a good sub will solve that problem and create a problem for all the other drivers around you. :) i'd like a little bit more clarity out of the front tweeters myself. someday i'll have to look into upgrading those. i find myself turning the radio off to listen to the exhaust most of the time though. that's got a sound that gets everyone's attention.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Ok guys and gals, I have to ask...Just how loud are you running this system?

I ran last weekend for 2 hours, then had a rest, then another 2 hours of driving in 100+ degree Southern California high desert heat without a single problem. I normally run my volume in the high 30s according to the indicator, with the distortion limiter on, and with the EQ to rock but the Boost to +1. I didn't have any problem with the system then and I haven't had any problem with it ever.

When were your vehicles made? The born on date in my car by the spare tire and under the hood say 3/9/04.

·
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
phobos512 said:
Ok guys and gals, I have to ask...Just how loud are you running this system?

I ran last weekend for 2 hours, then had a rest, then another 2 hours of driving in 100+ degree Southern California high desert heat without a single problem. I normally run my volume in the high 30s according to the indicator, with the distortion limiter on, and with the EQ to rock but the Boost to +1. I didn't have any problem with the system then and I haven't had any problem with it ever.

When were your vehicles made? The born on date in my car by the spare tire and under the hood say 3/9/04.
Mine was made 12/03. I had the car for 3 days when the stereo turned off on me that first time. Has not happened to me since. But I do not play the music very loud in it all that often.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts