LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Porch Dick
20,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to set up an area for darts here pretty soon. I'm probably going to set up two areas, one by the patio (outside, of course) and one in the garage for when the weather doesn't cooperate.

The board itself doesn't seem that difficult to choose, but I'll hear some suggestions. Mainly, though, I'm curious about people's setups.

Wall protection and types of darts (grips, shafts, flights) are two pretty big ones. I'm settled on getting a bristle board as the soft tip boards never feel right to me.

It originally seemed pretty straight forward, but the prices on all of these components cover a pretty wide range, so I thought I'd throw it out here and see what you all had to say.

·
half intelligent for a FIB
7,729 Posts
My dad put up an arachnid board at home. Full 4'x8' sheet of plexi behind it to protect the drywall so it doesn't matter how bad you are. Nice large washers and stainless hardware to mount it. We nver got past the starter set of darts, and we just bought the largest pack of tips available.

·
Porch Dick
20,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dad put up an arachnid board at home. Full 4'x8' sheet of plexi behind it to protect the drywall so it doesn't matter how bad you are. Nice large washers and stainless hardware to mount it. We nver got past the starter set of darts, and we just bought the largest pack of tips available.
I'll probably start with a regular set of brass grips for the darts. Cheaper and always worth keeping around for the "community" darts that I don't care about getting beat up. I imagine I'll get something somewhat decent for myself eventually.

4' x 8' has been pretty popular for the DIYers that build their own back boards. I might start with a piece of plywood that size, then figure out how I want to finish it later.

Bored, so here is a Dart.
If we get rid of the Cruze and start looking Dodge, I'll hit you up ;)

My only input...

Darts > pool
I've only just started throwing darts and it is only when we are at one of the few pubs we frequent. I don't know if I like it better than pool as a whole, but right now, I certainly do. Besides, I have a couple of great places to put a dart board, but no room for a pool table.

·
HEMI
2020 Camaro SS Vert M6
2,164 Posts
I've only just started throwing darts and it is only when we are at one of the few pubs we frequent. I don't know if I like it better than pool as a whole, but right now, I certainly do. Besides, I have a couple of great places to put a dart board, but no room for a pool table.
Again...

my age < ***

I played Pool at home and in the "pubs" for years (early teens to early 20s) then I met Darts --- I played a few varieties for a while with my buddies then a I met a good friend (his father owned a bar) and I started playing Darts (Baseball) and never looked back..

·
Hunkerin Down
244 Posts
Get a good bristol board they'll last longer as far as darts go you can spend a little or alot.. I used to be heavy into it when i was in my 20's..

If you buy some "real" darts like hammer heads you can replace the points when they wear out. but they are not cheap.
You can also just buy cheap brass darts at most sporting goods stores which should do until you really get into it.

I have even ordered sets of unicorn darts from england.

Great drinking sport :D

·
Worthless Staff Mbr
55,908 Posts
It can become an extremely expensive game, if you really get into it. My uncle played competitively in some dart league when I was a kid. He'd spend a good chunk of his paycheck just on a new set of darts that us kids weren't allowed close to. I loved playing darts when I was a teenager, haven't done it in a few years now.

Hope you find what works for you in regards to the backdrop and other supplies and it is something you play more than a few times.

·
Token-Cracker African
3,488 Posts
used to play all the time with my parents at home. As a kid and while in college.

most bars set up stools/tables in front of the boards and you get the feeling that the boards are for decoration only around here...

·
Registered
786 Posts
Get a good board that has the outer ring you can move to save wear on areas of the board that get thrown at alot, a good board will last you years if taken care of. Cheap darts for friends is a good idea, for you, try finding a local shop that will let you try sets before you buy as finding the set right for you is like finding a car that fits you.

·
Administrator
19,087 Posts
Santa Claus bought the Foosball table, and the wife & kids got me a Halex Aurora for Christmas. I bought some interlocking foam floor-mat tiles to protect the drywall.

Once upon a time, I threw darts on a weekly basis, and I had always imagined having a nice, felt board in my basement. BUT, with kids, from safety standpoint AND from a "learning how to play and keep score" standpoint, the electronic deal makes sense.

·
Porch Dick
20,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Santa Claus bought the Foosball table, and the wife & kids got me a Halex Aurora for Christmas. I bought some interlocking foam floor-mat tiles to protect the drywall.

Once upon a time, I threw darts on a weekly basis, and I had always imagined having a nice, felt board in my basement. BUT, with kids, from safety standpoint AND from a "learning how to play and keep score" standpoint, the electronic deal makes sense.
Now THAT is a great idea. I might look in to that. Are they too thin/soft, do you think, for metal tipped darts? I wouldn't want to go through them and hit the wall anyways, though I suppose I could mount to a piece of plywood and not have to worry. Thanks for sharing.

As to the electronic/soft tipped dart set-up, they certainly excel in a few areas and you seem to be a great candidate for one. With foosball and darts available anytime, your kids are probably going to win quite a few beers somewhere down the road. Foosball has always been my bar game of choice.

·
Porch Dick
20,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Get a good bristol board they'll last longer as far as darts go you can spend a little or alot.. I used to be heavy into it when i was in my 20's..

If you buy some "real" darts like hammer heads you can replace the points when they wear out. but they are not cheap.
You can also just buy cheap brass darts at most sporting goods stores which should do until you really get into it.

I have even ordered sets of unicorn darts from england.

Great drinking sport :D
Get a good board that has the outer ring you can move to save wear on areas of the board that get thrown at alot, a good board will last you years if taken care of. Cheap darts for friends is a good idea, for you, try finding a local shop that will let you try sets before you buy as finding the set right for you is like finding a car that fits you.
I found a bristle board on Amazon. 1.5" thick, outer ring can be rotated, heavy, and had all 5 star reviews. All for only $21. It might be crap, but if it is, I'll just leave it outside and get another for the garage. Seemed worth a try, though.

There is a store just down the road from work that I was recommended to try. Apparently I can demo some darts there and plan on doing just that during lunch.

It can become an extremely expensive game, if you really get into it. My uncle played competitively in some dart league when I was a kid. He'd spend a good chunk of his paycheck just on a new set of darts that us kids weren't allowed close to. I loved playing darts when I was a teenager, haven't done it in a few years now.

Hope you find what works for you in regards to the backdrop and other supplies and it is something you play more than a few times.
I've noticed. I tend to get just good enough and things that I spend a lot of money, but don't see quite the results I should. I hope I either suck bad enough to never buy the expensive stuff or get good enough that the money becomes well spent.

·
Administrator
19,087 Posts
Yep, by themselves, the foam tiles are definitely too thin for metal tipped darts, but if you use them to skin a piece of plywood or MDF, you should be good. :D

·
Porch Dick
20,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took a trip to a local shop and threw a few darts.

I ended up getting some that were 80% tungsten with a thinner barrel and 25g. I also bought a set of longer shafts and a little bigger and more durable set of flights. It probably just barely qualifies for "middle-of-the-road", but feels like a good step up over the regular house darts.

Chunking them around a bit I eventually settled on that setup. I was consistently in the 20's and even grouped three triple-20's at one point. Felt good, though I'm not good enough to know where I go from here.

Heading out tonight to get some plywood and either foam tiles like Midnight or some corkboard.

I have a big party on Saturday and would love to have this this ready to go.

·
Porch Dick
20,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can get the foam tiles for dirt cheap at Walmart, just FYI. It's in the fitness section.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check there tonight.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My backboard is a 4 by 4 sheet of plywood covered with 1 foot squares of 1/4 inch cork.

·
Porch Dick
20,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I finished building my backboard last night. The glue dried overnight and I didn't bother taking the weights off of it this morning for a picture. Maybe tonight.

I used a 4' x 4' sheet of 1/8" hardboard, then screwed a couple of pieces of wood to it to hold the anchor for the board. I then used the interlocking foam tiles that Midnight suggested (thanks for the Walmart tip, VGT) and used high-strength Loctite adhesive to fix it to the board. I did a little test piece and it seems like it will work. I have a hole cut out for the wood that will hold the anchor.

It looks pretty good. Ultimately, this will probably end up being the backboard for the garage, but I will mount it outside for now.

Eventually, I will make one like this that we can leave up outside permanently. When the dartboard isn't on it, we can hang something else.

http://macgyverisms.wonderhowto.com/how-to/protect-your-wall-from-stray-darts-with-diy-dartboard-cabinet-made-wine-corks-0138908/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts