LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
'05 GTO Nationals - St. Louis
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an old laptop from the office and want to set it up to get some data logging from the GTO. I'm not looking to do actual tuning, but I would like to be able to get good data without having to read my Predator while doing a WOT run. :eek2:

What do I need as far as software and cables? And where's the best place to get them?

·
Registered Goat Abuser
3,350 Posts

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was checking out the autotap on Tbyrne's site. It looks great, but probably a lot more than I really need. I was just wondering if there was a more simple, less expensive approach. Maybe not.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The absolute BEST I have used is EFI Live (www.efilive.com). Its written specifically for LS1 powered vehicles, and is by far the easiest to use and easiest to understand the data you get back. I've gone through a LOT of the scan tools available, and for anything with an LS1 or LS1-derived motor, EFI Live is the top. It will read a lot of other vehicles, but it is definitely targeted to the LS1 world. It will also use the AutoTap cable if you already own one ;)

If you want the top scan tool for all 96-current vehicles, for more money you can get EASE -- but the interface isn't as slick as EFI Live.

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brains said:
The absolute BEST I have used is EFI Live (www.efilive.com). Its written specifically for LS1 powered vehicles, and is by far the easiest to use and easiest to understand the data you get back. I've gone through a LOT of the scan tools available, and for anything with an LS1 or LS1-derived motor, EFI Live is the top. It will read a lot of other vehicles, but it is definitely targeted to the LS1 world. It will also use the AutoTap cable if you already own one ;)

If you want the top scan tool for all 96-current vehicles, for more money you can get EASE -- but the interface isn't as slick as EFI Live.
That's what I was considering. Any opinion on the standard version vs. the Pro version with bi-directional controls?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Getting BiDi controls is nice if you need 'em, or fun to play with if not. You can use the controls to hold a certain gear in an auto, lock/unlock the converter in an auto, turn the fans on and off, etc. There's also the crankshaft position relearn procedure, which you should do if you ever swap the motor in the car. You can also do a cylinder balance test, which will identify if you have any cylinders measuring down on power.

BUT its not 100% necessary. Whether or not you need those extra features is really up to you :)

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably WAY overkill for my ability. :) I guess I'll plan on the autotap with efilive and see what that does. Thanks for the help.

Brains... as in Snake Pliskin?

·
'MPULSIV'
595 Posts
LS1M Scantool...http://www.ls1m.com/

This is what a lot of the GP guys use. I've seen and used one but don't own one yet. If/when they upgrade software you can download the updates from the site I believe.

Not sure if this is what you are interested in but might be worth a look.....

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided to bite the bullet and have ordered the AutoTap with EFIlive from Tbyrne. Thanks for the inputs. I appreciate the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts