LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
9 Second Club
14,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 105 degree temperature last May I had the car tuned after replacing the valve springs and porting the Throttle Body. Best figures were 420/367. These results were with cats and on the stock rear end. In August I had the 3.91s put in and the car was dyno'd in about 90-95 degree temperature. It made 415/362 for a net loss of 5 and 5. However, I am certain that the temperature being a good deal cooler helped. Today I dyno'd and tuned her after removing the cats which had issues due to railroad track encounters had suffered compression of the element. Temperature was 85-90. She did 430/372 for a net gain of 15/10. Tests were on the same dyno. I wouldn't claim 15/10 for removing the cats as the cooler air is bound to have some effect. I think the results do confirm that 8-12 rwhp and 5-10 rwtq are pretty doable.

·
Administrator
20,427 Posts
seems very reasonable.
when I took my cats off, I did not do a before and after dyno, but it sure felt like a huge difference.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,959 Posts
Great comparision.

My only other question would be, "what kind of difference would a set of RandomTech Cats produce?"

·
9 Second Club
14,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Napalm said:
Great comparision.

My only other question would be, "what kind of difference would a set of RandomTech Cats produce?"
Someone else will have to jump in. I am going to offer an opinion that my kook's catted down pipes had the least restrictive looking elements in the cats. There appeared to be less than an inch or so depth to the element. The Thunder Mountain Cats were much more substantial and thicker elements. In both cases you could see through the filter element. I'm just guessing the Thunder Mountain Cats would cost more rwhp than the Kook's cats but that is just a guess. I have no idea where the Random Tech Cats would fit but I'd guess 5-15 rwhp and 5-10 rwtq would be a good ballpark on any of them.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,959 Posts
I think RandomTech is the version that comes on the Kook's pipes. They are a rather popular aftermarket Cat.

·
9 Second Club
14,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Attachments

·
"YELOJKT"
784 Posts
I noticed a slight power loss by putting the cats back on, but I'm willing to sacrifice a few horses for a car that is much more liveable on a daily basis (i.e. no fumes).

·
9 Second Club
14,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
BTW, there is a new BadA$$ GOAT in Texas and that is all I am saying!!!

Kooks use magnaflow cats. Stainless Works uses Random Tech cats.

HTH,
Bob
What about Thunder Racing?

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
wrp said:
BTW, there is a new BadA$$ GOAT in Texas and that is all I am saying!!!

That about Thunder Racing?
The basest goat in Texas resides in Houston.

·
9 Second Club
14,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Baaa said:
The basest goat in Texas resides in Houston.
Of that I have no doubt, however there is another bada$$ed one in Texas. It ain't in DFW or Houston either.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,959 Posts
For some reason I'm invisioning tumbleweed roling across a drag strip, somewhere out in the middle of nowhere, in Tx.

·
9 Second Club
14,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Napalm said:
For some reason I'm invisioning tumbleweed roling across a drag strip, somewhere out in the middle of nowhere, in Tx.
Do a search on the Texas Mile or BBORR....;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts