LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rear Seat Delete Builder
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home from LA last night Im about a mile or two from my off ramp. A
V12 mercedes coupe(cl600) 97-98 ish.-old style.He was trying to get me to play. I finally obliged him, we were both going 70 and hit it Ran the cars up to 130 and we were dead even. A few minutes later we did it again and same thing-dead even. He gave me thumbs up as he exited to the 23 north. I looked up those pigs. 375 or so HP and weighs in at 4600 pounds.
:gears:

·
Acta Non Verba
1,023 Posts
Dude I would figure you should beat that thing! It baffles me how early-mid 90's 12 cylinder engines make NO power relatively speaking...I don't get it. Why even put the thing in there?? Just to say it has a v12? I messed around with a (I'm guessing) early 90's jaguar coupe XJ12 and it was an embarassment. Same thing with Bimer 850's (and I like those) They make like what 300 hp from a gigantic engine??? Even old lambos...makes no sense.

I do like the CL's you're talking about, very very sleek and simple good looks to it.

·
= Ol Dirty Ed
3,280 Posts
+1 to being baffled giant engines no power. Not even enough power to make up for all the extra weight from those 4 extra cylinders.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
BostonF4$ said:
Dude I would figure you should beat that thing! It baffles me how early-mid 90's 12 cylinder engines make NO power relatively speaking...I don't get it. Why even put the thing in there?? Just to say it has a v12? I messed around with a (I'm guessing) early 90's jaguar coupe XJ12 and it was an embarassment. Same thing with Bimer 850's (and I like those) They make like what 300 hp from a gigantic engine??? Even old lambos...makes no sense.

I do like the CL's you're talking about, very very sleek and simple good looks to it.

back then the hp wars weren't on as hard as they are right now, 375hp was more than enough.

·
Resident SVT Defender
906 Posts
Aren't they all pretty small displacemant for a V12? Something like 1.8L, or so. :) I think the CL600 was 5.5 to 6L and 350 to 400hp. Sound familier?

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
GEMELLI said:
Aren't they all pretty small displacemant for a V12? Something like 1.8L, or so. :) I think the CL600 was 5.5 to 6L and 350 to 400hp. Sound familier?

european car companies dont just slap cubes on their motors a la "give it more cubes for more hp, durrrrrrrrr" They squeeze the most out of the least, example: the 3.2 litre in the m3, 333hp of goodness. Well, sometimes its the least out of the most though, like with those v12's, but that just gives room for expansion. The same v12 they use in the 7 series's ended up with double the hp in the mclaren f1 though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts