LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Hung Like a Republican
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, got my second oil change, since I got my GTO May 24th.

Got almost 6,000 miles on it.

I requested Mobil1 only, and they said they put Mobil1 in, but the total only came to $26.50.

I thought that sounded real cheap, and did some calling, checked on the part number of the oil, and found they didn't use synthetic oil.

They originally put in Oil Part #12345616

Now the dealer that changed it said that ALL Mobil1 is not ALL synthetic. I thought all Mobil1 WAS SYNTHETIC?? Am I wrong in this?

They also used 10w-30 and I wanted 5w-30. Manual of course calls for 5w-30.

Anyways, they drained all 6 quarts, and only charged the difference, $48.00.

They then said they put in Mobil1 Part #12345885

Needless to say I'm going to start buying my Mobil1 Synthetic and bringing it to the dealer. They charge almost $10.00 a quart!

Wal-Mart and Sams Club here I come!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Figured most of you would appreciate this information.

The dealer charges just under $10.00 for a quart of Mobil 1 oil. The cheapest I found it on the internet was $5.65 from GM Parts Direct.

Sams Club has Mobil 1 5w-30 AND 10w-30 for $4.48 a quart, with a total of 6. Thats $26.88 for 6 quarts!! That is friggen amazing!

Sams Club rules!

Anyone know of the cheapest place to get AC Delco oil filters and/or Mobil 1 oil filters in bulk or other?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st - I thought all Mobil1 WAS SYNTHETIC?? Am I wrong in this?? If you go to www.mobil1.com (or their product page - http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...Oils/Oils.aspx) you would swear by reading that ALL Mobil1 was synthetic. Cause they don't really list any NON-Synthetic sounding oil.

2nd - Is there a PLUS for going with a Mobil1 oil filter over the ACDelco, besides expense??

3rd - I assume 5-30 would be good for colder weather, and 10-30 would be could for hot weather?? The manual only recommends 5-30 though - it must like it! :yumyum:

·
Hung Like a Republican
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GTO_Scott said:
Why not do it yourself so you know what really goes in?
I would rather pay the $10 in labor. Plus I've never changed oil.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Do it yourself. Repalce the drain plug for a magnetic plug. Place a magnet under the oil filter and another under the tans. oil pan.

·
Top Gun
1,133 Posts
If you can't change your own oil you should probably just ride the bus...You belong nowhere near a car...

also, if you think the 10-30 was going to damage your car, you are just plain stupid...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Everything ok with you odie?
I don't know how to change oil either, neither do I have the time to figure it out. Eventhough i would like to know how.

It's like telling someone to go to an internet cafe to access the internet, because he can't jump the bios and therefore shouldn't have a computer...but this person might be the one who can diagnos an illness u have....so what if he can't freakin change oil.

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
changing oil is so easy......wusses

·
Speed Junkie
1,312 Posts
odie3283 said:
If you can't change your own oil you should probably just ride the bus...You belong nowhere near a car...

also, if you think the 10-30 was going to damage your car, you are just plain stupid...
That was real helpful...

·
www.norcalgoats.com
3,311 Posts
No offense, but if you are going to own a car like a GTO it would behoove you to learn a little about it and perform some of the maintenance yourself. Oil changes aren't rocket science. Roll your sleeves up, get in there and give it a shot. You'll be surprised how easy it is.

I don't mean to turn this thread into a bashing for those who bring their cars in for service, I just want to encourage those of you who might be intimidated to give it a shot. You'll be surprised how much more satisfying it is to do your own work - and you'll save yourself a few bucks you can put towards a set of Kooks headers or a Magnacharger in the process.

Pep talk over...now go buy a set of metric sockets ;)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

Chill out.

The guy was just asking Q's for help.
I own, and deserve a GTO - yet, I cannot change the oil.
Does that make me a retard, unworthy?

Although I bring the 7 qts, and request the half Q. returned to me for a topping off (not needed yet at 7k), the $10-$20 labor is worth it for me.

·
Sand Engineer
1,123 Posts
I suggest to anyone that doen't know anything about cars to learn something about them. I would hate to see someone get screwed over because they dont understand their car. If you want I can chage your wishshield washer pulley for ya....costs 150 bucks :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
You also might want to check your oil level just to make sure the person that worked on it can count. Sometimes they under fill, and in my case they over filled. Just giving you the heads up.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Dealers suck....you need education to be a service writer , but you don't need to be a mechanic . This is pretty representative of job requirements everywhere , unfortunately . Your ability to memorize and regurgitate is far more important than ability !

·
Reads Fine Print
147 Posts
Knowing how to change your oil is a good skill to have. Although I would have no problem doing it, I don't have any ramps/jacks...so I also take my car to a dealership for an oil change. Would I prefer to do it myself? Sure! But, that's not an option right now, and I don't feel like less of a "car guy" because I don't do it myself. Plus, it is nice to have those receipts from the dealership showing oil changes every 5k miles if you ever sell the car, or if you use a credit card that gives you cash bonuses for miles placed on the vehicle.

Having said that...you might be glad the dealership didn't put in M1. The last time I dropped off a car at a dealership without bringing my own oil and filter, it cost me around $80. Buy the oil yourself at Wal-Mart or an auto parts store, buy a good solid oil filter, and then take it to the dealership. When you get there, be sure and let them know you have your own oil and filter in the car. You'll get out much cheaper that way, and have the peace of mind that the right oil was used.

You can also attach one of those filterMAGs to the filter and leave a post-it attached for the tech. Same with a magnetic drain plug. If it's a trustworthy dealership, it'll get taken care of. If not...well then, do you really want to trust your car to them anyway? ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
I change my own for two reasons, neither of them financial.

1. I know it was done right when I do it myself. It seems like a lot of times the dealer gives the oil change to the worst tech in the place because it's a simple job. I don't want that guy near my car. He's the guy that will go "Hmm 6 quarts didn't fill it, I'll just throw in 7". That is if you're lucky and he doesn't just dump in 4 or 5 and figure that's enough.

2. It saves me time. I takes me a lot less time to crawl under there and change it myself than to drive to the dealer, sit around waiting for them to do it, then drive home.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts