LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer today asked me if they should spray a protective (Teflon) coating on ALL painted surfaces! Like the hood, trunk, doors, roof, etc......
Its supposed to be a Teflon coating that fills all the minute voids in the surface, and adds luster. Is this POSSIBLE? I know a lot about waxing, but I have no real idea about this process.
Does anyone else know much about it, or recommend it?
They also claimed they would spray a undercoating type of spray underneath the bottom. I'm OK with the undercoating, but just not sure about my beautiful Silver paint?
Anyone have any info on this stuff?

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
:eek:

I would stay away from that stuff.
Thats just my opinion.
But I feel constant cleaning and zaino!! :D is a good bet.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
As if they didn't make enough money selling a $33K car at full boat.

·
Registered
362 Posts
the GTO gets full rust protection at the factory, some kind of galvanisation fully body dip. So get the underbody done if you want, but I doubt you'd need the treatment on the paint

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
You don't need it unless you plan on driving it in a salt bath daily for 10 years!

All cars today are properly prepped and prepared from the factory to resist corrosion for 6 years/60,000 miles I believe.

This is just a scam for the dealer to make lots of cash on a couple of cans worth of $5.99 spray on goop, figuratively speaking.

·
Registered
529 Posts
What are all these posts about, my dealer says this or that or my dealer wants to do this or that? BS. Me customer, you dealer. You do what I say or you lose my sale. End of story. No fabric protection, no paint protection, no rust proof, no pin stripes, no dealer stickers, no market adjustment, no advertising fee, no processing fee, NO NOTHING! GOT IT!?

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
cvp33 said:
What are all these posts about, my dealer says this or that or my dealer wants to do this or that? BS. Me customer, you dealer. You do what I say or you lose my sale. End of story. No fabric protection, no paint protection, no rust proof, no pin stripes, no dealer stickers, no market adjustment, no advertising fee, no processing fee, NO NOTHING! GOT IT!?

MSRP for me thats it!!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cvp33 said:

Uhhhhhh Whats wrong with an undercoating in WI?
I don't plan on driving it in every snowstorm, but the hell if I am paying for this thing to sit in my garage for 8 months!

This post was meant to get me info on what this "CRAP" that they plan on spraying on cars really is, or what it does! I never once claimed I was going to pay them to do it, NOR pay then all of the other BS that you listed above. My dealer is Nothing more than a Network that i had to go through to Aquire my GTO. I don't get advice from my dealer, nor do i buy the extra crap that he tries to pass off onto me.

Enough venting for now, but i really hate when people assume that I am a Normal stupid customer just because I Simply post a question about an option that I need info on before I can make a decision. :mullet:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
You sure hit a nerve though. I will say that if I hadn't found this site and learned all this stuff I probably would have gone for the undercoating. Not now though.
:drink: :drink:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Rocket,

There are compounds that can fill in scratches in the clear coat, I am involved with one company with a unique product that does that, however I don't think it is the one your dealer is using, so I can't comment on it. The one I know isn't like a rubbing compound that removes more clear coat, or a wax that needs to be applied often. There should not be any scratches when you get the car new. The teflon would make it easier to clean, but you would also want to check the quality of the product to make sure it wouldn't yellow, or wear off quickly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i got the clear coat for my car inside and out and i must say that it is well worth it. the inside leather feels MUCH smoother now and the outside is basically scratch proof and is MUCH more shiny. its just one more layer of protection for our precious GTOs. Well worth it. You spent 33k on a car, wtf is $300 more to protect it? sounds kinds stupid to not do it.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I think the point is that much of the stuff they sell to supposedly help protect the cars is 'crap' that may oftentimes may actually hurt the car in the long run. One example of when it may hurt is when they have no real experience with the paint used and no recommendation from Pontiac to put any rustproofing on the car (from the website and the dealer information package posted here as well). In fact, it very well may void the warranty from Pontiac having the dealer put the rustproofing material on in the first place.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's just an UPSELL. Lemme guess, was it the F and I guy? I hate those guys. I've owned cars built since the 70's. Back in my day if you didn't wax monthly, you'd get pinholes which turned into raging body cancer. Only sandpaper and sweat would get it off. In fact I think the pin holes were probably there in the paint from the factory. In the terrible 80's paint was peeling from cars before they left Detroit. I kid you not. The company line was it was environmental fall out (acid rain), what a crock.
My newest car is a 2001 Saturn. I've waxed it once, maybe twice since new. Usually, a good washing with auto wash soap and it's show room shiny. I honestly can't see any difference after waxing. My older vehicle is a '97 Found On Road Dead. Waxed, maybe once every other summer, if I remember to do it. Absolutely ZERO rust, except for body damaged areas. (kids' gotta learn on something).
Save your cash for gas or taking the little woman out. If the dealer'll do it for free get a written Life time guarantee against paint damage.

·
Chief Poncho
3,032 Posts
Don't do it. With modern BC/CC paints they will shine forever if kept clean and waxed. That teflon is just a money maker for the dealer that is all.

Undercoating? on a 2004 Car. It's not 1960 anymore. Another waste of money. Keep the car clean, no problems.

don't waste your money and that crap.

·
Registered
118 Posts
if you look under your GTO you will see that it already has protective under coating the GM manual does not recommend any further rust proofing... call 18002Pontiac if you need more info... I did have permaplate on the paint, seats and interior fabric and mats... for regular interior maintenance formula 2001 has sun block protectant and does not yellow have used it for years!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got a protective rust proof underneath and a protective coating on the paint so i dont have to wax it for 5 years, is this what you guys are talking about. I dont see the big deal in getting it anyway????

·
Registered
45 Posts
Show me the money

PhantomGoat57 said:
I got a protective rust proof underneath and a protective coating on the paint so i dont have to wax it for 5 years, is this what you guys are talking about. I dont see the big deal in getting it anyway????
:eek: At $300 a pop, It's a big deal to some of us. If you've got $300 to throw away that's up to you. On a GTO or other car selling for MSRP or MSRP+, the dealer's already making a grand minimum. On the cheaper cars, like Sunfire, which the mfr needs to move to balance out his CAFE from selling GTOs, an added $300 for $12.89 worth of aerosol goop sprayed on by a pimple factory more than doubles his markup.
As for me and my wallet, I can buy a lot of Turtle wax ... aw heck I can splurge on McGuires, a shamois and rags for $300. Heck, I think I can even get a bucket and hose and one of them hand spray thingies for that much. AND spend a little money on the little woman. Besides, as seldom as today's paint needs waxing, you're cheating yourself out of 5 years of week-end quality time with the GTO. :D

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
for $300 I might have gone for it. And I even know better. My dealer wanted $1200 for undercoat, teflon paint, leather teflon and some other crap. When I balked at the price they dropped to $1000. Give me an F'n break. Then I remembered how much I liked washing my cars. I asked her if I could wax over the Teflon.. She said Hu? it's good for five years w/out waxing.

No Sale!

Now how do I care for my leather?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts