LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GTO keeps killing its "GOOD" battery every 5-7 days that it is not run. So i take it to GM and they said that i should just pull th efuses to the instrument cluster and the radio everytime I park it for more than 2 days! Are they on crack?????? I know they all draw a little, but does this sound like a realistic solution to a problem?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OH BTW for you fraudulent people out there.........when you pull the fuse to the Instrument cluster your car DOES NOT add miles when you drive it. Yet the Digital speedo works, all the averageMpg etc.....works. Cruise works.....
everything BUT the speedometer, tach, fuel and temp gauge.

Maybe someone will pull this fuse before taking a nice long road trip! Enjoy!

Back to my problem stated above please! :)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
That's an old trick to avoid mileage! ;)

Sounds like I'd be searching for another Pontiac dealer to find the problem! If this is their solution anyway. I realize that there are not a plethora of them in Green Bay though, but still.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Just bring it back 4 times for the same problem (in Wisconsin anyway) and then return it on the lemon law. Let them (Pontiac, not the dealer) know you are going to do this and I think they will try a little harder to fix it.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
cjlannoy said:
Just bring it back 4 times for the same problem (in Wisconsin anyway) and then return it on the lemon law. Let them (Pontiac, not the dealer) know you are going to do this and I think they will try a little harder to fix it.

Hell yeah.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the lemon law exists, but I'd rather just have the problem fixed.
My sister is a Lawyer, so it would be easy.

I just don't think that this is the FIX for my problem.
HOW LONG HAS ANYONE ELSE PARKED THEIR GTO FOR.....and it STARTED after sitting?????????? Mine is dead in less than a week and the bettery has already been changed. I think there is more going on than they care to look into! :mad:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CMNTMXR57 said:
That's an old trick to avoid mileage! ;)

Sounds like I'd be searching for another Pontiac dealer to find the problem! If this is their solution anyway. I realize that there are not a plethora of them in Green Bay though, but still.

No kidding Pontiac dealers are like 40 miles apart. I have hit Broadway in Pulaski, and I can't really try Broadway in GB (because its the same damn people) I'm considering Bergstron in Appleton. i guess I'll give them 1 more try when they install the dampners in my suspension and re charge my A/C!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
speed_demon_freak said:
I think mine sat for about 2 weeks when it was snowing. Even now I let the car sit for 5-6 days without starting it.

Does it STRUGGLE to start, or just crank as usual?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Rocket said:
HOW LONG HAS ANYONE ELSE PARKED THEIR GTO FOR.....and it STARTED after sitting?????????? Mine is dead in less than a week and the bettery has already been changed. I think there is more going on than they care to look into! :mad:
Mine will sit for weeks on end. Matter of fact, last Thursday was the last time mine was started. And I am constantly opening the door to get get sh*t I left in it that I need in another vehicle, like my hands free mic for my phone.

It sucks to have so few dealers to choose from!

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Yeah, mine sits five days a week, usually, and I have no trouble starting it on Friday nights. Pulling fuses everytime you park it for "more than 2 days" is NOT a "fix", it's a bandaid, just as you said. That solution is UNACCEPTABLE and you should definitely let your dealer AND Pontiac know that you won't accept that idea. Good luck!

·
2,432 Posts
Mine has been sitting for 2.5 weeks and last night I got in it to change CD's. Everything seemed fine. Headlights came on radio was all good. I would expect the Optima to handle the car for several months easy.

I think I've posted this elsewhere before, just get an Optima and be done :) At some point your time is worth money also.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Optima's are the shiznit!

However, they are a costly solution (at $150+) to something the dealer should be/have fixed under warranty. Besides, the root problem hasn't been fixed anyway, so this Optima would have a shortened life too!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Find another dealer. It can't be that hard to trace a current drain. I've gone several weeks with out a problem starting the car. ...and I didn't know about the fuse/odometer trick!

·
2,432 Posts
There might not be a current drain. These cars suck a lot more juice in a sleep state than any other car I've had. If he has a weak battery like I had (bulging and leaking acid) it just won't hold up. I think a good factory battery in one of these cars can only do about a month. I could see a weak battery only going a week.

Mine would start the car and work fine, but 30 mins of using the radio would kill it. I switched to the Optima and I'm all good for playing the radio several hours without a problem.

I'd switch to the Optima and see what happens. They have a good warranty. I saw a red top at the local Autozone for $100. I don't know if it was on sale that day or what. I know I paid more for mine.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
It seems like the knee-jerk reaction of some SMs is to reject everything, while others are much more cooperative. Perhaps someone who has worked for a GM service dept. can shed some light on it. It would seem that, if they are going to be reimbursed by GM, why fight the customer?

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Parked

Rocket said:
I know the lemon law exists, but I'd rather just have the problem fixed.
My sister is a Lawyer, so it would be easy.

Rocket, mine was parked in the driveway for 5 days unstarted when it rained 9 inches here over that period of time. No problems starting it afterwards. It sounded strong on turning the key and lit right up.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
mistermike said:
It seems like the knee-jerk reaction of some SMs is to reject everything, while others are much more cooperative. Perhaps someone who has worked for a GM service dept. can shed some light on it. It would seem that, if they are going to be reimbursed by GM, why fight the customer?
I have, I have...although it was a Chevy dealer.

Service departments get bonuses paid out based on which dealers in a particular region have a lower overall warranty bill from GM. Tracing any electrical problem isn't as simple as replacing a window switch and generally involves a large amount of technician time that they have to bill GM, subsequently affecting their bonus. There is more involved, but that's the Cliff's Notes version. If you were on the edge of losing or having your bonus cut significantly and a guy came in with a nagging electrical problem or motor replacement and you had a way to wiggle out of it, what would you do? It is a interesting predicament!!

And Ames, while yes these cars do have a bit more drain than others, it still isn't enough to drain the battery in a few hours. The system from the get go, when all working properly should be sufficient to support itself. THat battery, with a properly operating system should last 5 years (at least) just as the little Cavalier next to it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts