LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silver M6 with 245/45 BFGoodrich g-Force T/As. They say these tires are mere shrimps on the barbie of the LS1 V-8. With 275/40 rear run flats it would probably run faster down the drag strip and shprter in the stops.
0-60 in 5.3 seconds
0-140 in 28.9 seconds
fuel economy - city 16mpg and highway 28mpg.
Braking 70-0 - 185ft
3821 curb weight.
They said it has the best seats in any GM product "ever", put to the endurance test in a 29 hour non stop test drive.

THE VERDICT--
HIGHS: Corvette sound and power, Euro ride and handling, acceptable price.
LOWS: Iffy build quality, tiny trunk, styling that makes you say "So what?"
THE VERDICT: The Aussie GTO isn't perfect, but don't look a gift goat in the mouth.

I guess we will be the JUDGE!!!!!!!!:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
If those mileage claims are accurate then the combined is 23.15. It beats the gas guzzler tax!!!
:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Actually, I'd have to disagree on the tire thing. You do want a wide tire patch in back with which to plant it, but going to a 275 size tire also shortens the sidewall some.

As such with a 275, you can't get some wrinkle out of the tire on a hard launch like a 245 therefore abosorbing some of the power instead of instantly frying them like would happen with a shorter, stiffer sidewalled 275.

For instance, at the drag strip, I take off my 275/40/17 tires in favor of a 255/50/16 drag radial. I get the combination of some width for contact patch and a taller sidewall to help wrinkle and absorb the power.

Just more proof that those writing at C&D have never actually run at a drag strip where the timing equipment isn't attached to the car and having to learn what tire combo and pressure works best .

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
And iffy build quality???

Everything/everyone else that has reviewed it have raved about the quality and comments like it's the best GM has in any of their current cars is common.

Here, right from the R&T article a thread away.

Another pleasant surprise: This GTO possesses what may be the finest interior design and materials to grace a GM product.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'M still reading

It also says says that at least the GTO'S stiff, rattle free body soaks up shakes that would've had the old Camaro and Firebird shedding parts. Speaking of which, the GTO did shed one or two of it's own, including its battery tie-down and the wing-mounted center stop lamp, which fell off when of its plastic screws sheared.
Remember i am just quoting the article.;)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I know Mitch, just makes me wonder about these writers sometimes.

Funny thing is though, as I mentioned in that other thread, the F-Body community no matter how well the GTO is put together will complain about it and the death of their beloved part shedder. :(

·
Registered
524 Posts
One thing we have to remember though, with the lead time for all these mags ( maybe Autoweek excepted) is several months. They were driving that bunch of pre production cars, often with the small tires, traction control locked or jimmied with and who knows what sort of build. I agree everything we hear is great build quality on the real thing. Too bad they are not testing the real thing.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
True dat!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Might take me some time to get used to. I can sneak 6 people in the trunk of '67.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
All I'm concerned about are how many dead bodies I can put into mine. :D

J/K!!!!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
All I'm concerned about are how many dead bodies I can put into mine. :D

J/K!!!!
Only people from Chicago, New York City, and New Jersey care about that. Also explains the cement mixer thing.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Tails said:
Only people from Chicago, New York City, and New Jersey care about that. Also explains the cement mixer thing.

Funny coincidence that I've lived in all three then. :D

Well actually when I lived in Joisey it was NYC metro, it was the equivalent of living in Oak Park as a suburb of Chicago. I lived just across the river. Matter of fact, I was just in NYC last week for business. No, no one got fitted for CMNT shoes either. :D

·
...and former GTO owner.
841 Posts
"fuel economy - city 16mpg and highway 28mpg."

Is this the official released fuel economy estimates or just an estimate? Did they list the economy for the automatic?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I thought it was 18/26 mpg. Those are standard numbers for an LS1 with M6. Yes, I know the GTO weighs more, but even some F-Body's tipped the scales in the 3,700 - 3,900lb range too.

·
RIP Jack of Hearts & Tootsie
7,559 Posts
Tails said:
If those mileage claims are accurate then the combined is 23.15. It beats the gas guzzler tax!!!
Wrong Tails
Just read that the gas guzzler tax is still on it. As a matter of fact they raised the ante to 1300 bucks. Just tell me why the Corvette Auto doesn't have the gas guzzler tax?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Devil said:
Just tell me why the Corvette Auto doesn't have the gas guzzler tax?
Cuz the Vette A4 has significantly better mileage figures than the goat (18/26), due to gearing, weight, and aerodynamics. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
18 Participants
Goat Lover
LS1GTO.com Forums
LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more!
Full Forum Listing