LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago my radio came on by itself so the dealer ordered a replacement unit. New unit was installed and I went home. Found I could not persuade it to accept a CD. Back to the dealer, who called in for another radio. Was told none were available so we reinstalled the original and the new replacement was returned. A couple days later dealer called, seems another radio arrived FedEx. They put it in today - and checked its operation. Of course it was another one which would not take a CD, so home I came with the original radio back in the hole. The service manager called GM and read them the riot act but they can't explain anything. They were going to go after the "rebuilder".

What the h*** is going on with these replacement radios??? If you hit the "load" button it makes a series of noises then displays "mech error". (The radio part works fine) We all looked for an install procedure that was being missed but none could be found. Is anybody here more familiar with these things than GM seems to be? It's getting to be a real pain running back to the dealer so often for what should have been a simple swap.

Service mgr wants me to call GM customer service and ream. I'd love to but I've been on hold for over 30 minutes and I can't stand that recording about the owners website any longer AAAUUUUGGHHHH! :eek2:

·
Registered
113 Posts
CoolBlu04 said:
Some time ago my radio came on by itself so the dealer ordered a replacement unit. New unit was installed and I went home. Found I could not persuade it to accept a CD. Back to the dealer, who called in for another radio. Was told none were available so we reinstalled the original and the new replacement was returned. A couple days later dealer called, seems another radio arrived FedEx. They put it in today - and checked its operation. Of course it was another one which would not take a CD, so home I came with the original radio back in the hole. The service manager called GM and read them the riot act but they can't explain anything. They were going to go after the "rebuilder".

What the h*** is going on with these replacement radios??? If you hit the "load" button it makes a series of noises then displays "mech error". (The radio part works fine) We all looked for an install procedure that was being missed but none could be found. Is anybody here more familiar with these things than GM seems to be? It's getting to be a real pain running back to the dealer so often for what should have been a simple swap.

Service mgr wants me to call GM customer service and ream. I'd love to but I've been on hold for over 30 minutes and I can't stand that recording about the owners website any longer AAAUUUUGGHHHH! :eek2:
Strangely enough mine did the mech error the very first time on mine too. Hit eject even though nothing was in the drive and then second and subsequent loads have been successful. I speculated at the time that it may be some kind of parking mechanism for shipping, but that is a guess at best.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
straegen said:
Strangely enough mine did the mech error the very first time on mine too. Hit eject even though nothing was in the drive and then second and subsequent loads have been successful. I speculated at the time that it may be some kind of parking mechanism for shipping, but that is a guess at best.
Yes, we tried the "eject" to no avail. I too figured it was a shipping protection immobilizer but we surely cannot find anything and GM seems to be clueless.

·
Registered
607 Posts
If i counted correctly you have had a total of 3 decks in the car not work? If your state has a lemon law, you might try to see if it would cover the radio. A stretch but worth a look. Then, maybe you could argue the inconvenience of 3 failures and ask for cash to install a comparable aftermarket HU; assuming you'd be interested in the aftermarket.

and yes, you can make the steering wheel controls work w/ the aftermarket.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
josephra said:
If i counted correctly you have had a total of 3 decks in the car not work? If your state has a lemon law, you might try to see if it would cover the radio. A stretch but worth a look. Then, maybe you could argue the inconvenience of 3 failures and ask for cash to install a comparable aftermarket HU; assuming you'd be interested in the aftermarket.

and yes, you can make the steering wheel controls work w/ the aftermarket.
joseph,

Yup, 3 decks, but just the two replacements had defective CD (JUST two? I guess that should be plenty!) Thanks for the idea about the lemon law, never would have thought of that. I'll toss it at the svc mgr. It sure seems like we must be missing something, although for the life of me I have no clue what it would be. They even tried procedures with the scan tool. No help. If the CD didn't work, next step said "replace radio". Duh!

·
New Owner, with a WEG
137 Posts
Third radio's a charm

My CD player died with the CD Mech error within the first month. After a month, the dealer got me a replacement radio (I'm skipping the whole dealer-bashing... Look in the other thread I started if you are interested). I got 4 CDs into the replacement deck, before it too locked up. The dealer ordered me a third radio. After a couple of days with the second deck, it failed altogether (no clock, lights, nothing). This week, I got the third radio in, and it works fine.

Interestingly enough, when they sent my CDs back from the repair shop they sent *7* cds. 6 were mine, and the 7th was the GTO CD. I had complained when I got the car that I didn't get the CD... Unfortunately, the CD was actually cracked in a couple of places. The rest of them had scratches where they were removed from the deck.

Anyway, just make them keep replacing the deck... eventually they'll get one that works. Pretty sad that we need more than 1 replacement radio, though.

Oh, for my troubles/hassles regarding this issue, the Service Manager arranged with GM for me to get free tire rotations, and oil changes for a couple of years. Better than nothing, I suppose...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

I must apologize, I thought I had posted the final outcome. Tech was on the phone with GM and I said "Why not ask about these two black things taped into the top of these radios? There is no mention of them anywhere we have looked but I want to make sure they are not shipping immobilizers." The way this was neatly done made them appear as if they were meant to stay put. We believed them to be some sort of anti-vibration bumpers.

GM's answer: "Oh! They have to come out!" Well thank you GM for not giving anyone a clue about them either with a "Remove Before Installation" sticker on the radio or a mention in the setup instructions! :sneaky:

So after all this BS I now have a working CD again. I assume there was nothing wrong with any of the previous replacement units they sent. All we would have had tto do was remove those two plug-like things that looked like they were part of the unit. The car is stored for winter so I can't say how long the deck will work as I have not even used it other than the test at the dealer (we only put in one CD). Oh well, if there's another problem, at least the tech can now have the unit in and out quickly. He has had lots of practice. :rolleyes:

Happy New Year everybody!!

·
1st Time Goat Owner
138 Posts
What is the GTO CD you're referring to?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts