LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
GOT Boost???
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after reading months worth of questions about detailing. I figured it would be a good idea to start a thread where everyone could add there tips.
I'll start.:turbonaug

1) Use Painters tap to mask off the rubber and plastic from wax.
2) Lift hood and place newspaper between hood and wiper plastic area. Leave enough covered that you can close hood and still have everything covered.
3)Canned air (to clean out those hard to reach areas)
4)
5)
6)

·
Show me your Headers
324 Posts
Q-Tips work well for the tight corners of the spokes on 17s, wax inside the wheel to make brakedust clean-up easier.
Armourall inside wheeel wells.
Silicone blade for drying the car, then lint-free microfiber towels.

·
Administrator
9,486 Posts
FYI you can't make your thread titles bold by using tags. They will appear in bold when there are new posts in the thread that you haven't read, once you read them and refresh the page the title changes from bold to regular text.

·
All Motor 11 Second Club
1,347 Posts
Distilled water in a spray bottle has many uses....

Its pure and has surfactant characteristics.

Removes water spots easily.
Removes bugs.
Its an excellent safe lite cleaner for just about anything... Windows, leather, dash, etc.

I keep a bottle in the car at all times.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Seeing Double

Use two buckets (one for soap water and one for rinsing the wash mitt) and use two wash mitts (one for the top half of the car and one for the bottom half - roughly mid-door down.)

And use liquid laundry detergent to wash your mitts. Powder detergent might leave residue that would scratch the car.

Use Waffle-Weave Microfiber towels to dry and use the pat-dry method. Lay the towel flat on the car and pat it dry. Don't drag anything around on your car.

·
Smashing the Pumpkin....
86 Posts
Use Tire foam for sparkling up the engine bay...just spray it on and whip down and it will look better than new...And if you want an excellent leather conditioner kit...go with leatherique its widely used by the bmw crowd.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here's one.

After being frustrated with how much the dashboard absorbs protectant, it was hard to get it to a nice matte finish that I wanted without it looking splotchy.

Now, I spray the protectant (Meguiars Natural Shine) on my hands, massage it into the dash to get it in the cracks, then use a deep pile microfiber to follow it. The microfiber picks up everything that's not needed for that perfect matte finish, and applying it with your hands gets the protectant down in the texture of the dash.

Snowman

·
Registered
70 Posts
If paint looks blotchy after a wax, i.e. used to much on a few spots. It can help if you take water hose and mist over car and redry. It will help blend and even out wax or polish.

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,498 Posts
Take a micro fiber towel, fold it corner to corner, making a triangle. Wrap it around the side mirror, with the 90 degree point on the bottom, pointing away from the car. Tie the two 45 degree tips together in the skinny area of the mirror. Leave them on over night so nothing drips out onto the car.

·
1 of 262
10,335 Posts
I clay bar my car using Zaino Z-8 as a lubricant with excellent results. I use S100 Total Cycle Cleaner to clean under the hood followed by S100 Corrosion Protectant.

·
The ORIGINAL Robofuzz
1,463 Posts
"Swiffer" type dusting pads (the ones without chemicals in them) are great for dusting the dash, etc.

I also just bought some In & Out Spray from Adams Polishes that I intend to test on exterior plastic trim and possibly fuel rail covers, etc.

·
Nobdy
195 Posts
Leaf blower:
use the leaf blower to get the majority of the water off your bar before drying. Use it especially on the wheels, grill, mirrors and window sills. With the leaf blower you will not have to bow tie your mirrors as previously suggested

Air Compressor:
It is messy, and kicks up a lot of dust, but if your detailing inside anyway, why not. Use a compressor and sir gun, works great for getting into air vents, that corner between the rear deck and glass and all those other spots you cant reach with a vacuum hose.

Compressed Wool Felt:
A nice thick, heavy piece of compressed wool felt is the perfect tool for detailing factory 17's. You can cut it on an angle, so you can reach into the corners and is stiff enough you can actually do some scrubbing with it. Throw away you Q-tips and do this. I got mine from http://www.mcmaster.com

·
Nobdy
195 Posts
also wax/Zaino/Tropicare/whatever your wheels. You do all the other painted surfaces. They stay cleaner longer and are easier to clean next time

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,498 Posts
Not all of us have a driveway to wash their cars, or leafblowers or air compressors. I do the micro fiber bow tie on my mirrors for the drive home from the DIY car wash. :cool:

·
Registered
764 Posts
All great tips and a great thread!

My suggestion: After cleaning the engine bay, I use this stuff on all plastic pieces and hoses. It's not greasy or oily and doesn't attract dust what-so-ever and leaves a nice finish!

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
A California Brush is a must for any car enthusiast.

If you dress your tires, let them dry completely before driving off. Otherwise you'll get that oily deposit on your quarter panels.

After waxing/polishing use a detail spray (your choice) to finish it off.

Most of my other tricks have been mentioned already........

ROK

1 - 20 of 40 Posts