LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of pulling my powertrain and driveline out to do some refreshing and check a leak on the back side of of the engine. I have a set of 3.90 Richmond gears and bearing rebuild kit that I was going to do at the same time while I have everything apart. I have never cracked open the differential on the car and am somewhat scared to see what the fluid looks like in there. I drove the car most of the summer with no whines, slips, or mishaps from the rear just wanting to do some maintenance while I have the cover off and installing new ring and pinion. I am contemplating the Trutrac diff and wondering if it is worth the investment or should I just stick with the stock diff? I don't plan to track the car, maybe once or twice to see what it will do, but it will mostly be a dedicated nice weather cruiser. Any experience or opinions on the trutrac is welcome.

·
Premium Member
36,103 Posts
if your LSD isn't giving you issues, why fix what isn't broken?

The stock gears are perfect for cruising.

If you really want to run 3.90's, I would have a diff rebuilt on the side and then swap the two diffs, if i were you. there are plenty of used ones out there. send it to the "banned one." in fact, you might want to wander over on ls1tech.com and talk to him. he has a lot of knowledge on these rear ends.

·
My other car has wings
425 Posts
^^
Just swapped in my spare diff with 390's yesterday and plan to keep my stock 346 diff intact as a backup. I went with the motive gears and a KAAZ LSD unit. So far so good.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you really want to run 3.90's, I would have a diff rebuilt on the side and then swap the two diffs, if i were you. there are plenty of used ones out there. send it to the "banned one." in fact, you might want to wander over on ls1tech.com and talk to him. he has a lot of knowledge on these rear ends.
who is this you speak of? PM me if necessary

·
My other car has wings
425 Posts
PM sent....

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had a kaaz in my first GTO and loved it. With this GTO I found a great deal on a rebuilt diff with a spool in it so I went with that. Got the 05 diff with spool and brand new level 2 gforce stubs shipped to my door for less than the cost of the Kaaz alone. I now have my stock low mileage diff in a crate if I need to ship it out for rebuild and am considering doing that because the spool is a pain driving around town or in parking lots. If someone could send me a PM with the info I seek for a diff builder that would be great...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I spoke of noone. I was never in this thread. My account got hacked and my roomate started posting rando stuff.

I don't even own a GTO.
did you forget to take your meds? or bumped your head?

·
Registered
43 Posts
From what I hear, truetrac has some issues with stubs fitting little too loose. KAAZ and Wavetrac are much better units, but also more expensive. I opted for Wavetrac. Reason for changing it to start with, is that I race autocross with this car. Original diff was working just fine for street driving.

My advice for street use is to stick with what you have, including gears. If it's all working and no leaks, there is no real reason to mess with it. Just change oil.

If you have to have it done, contact someone that really knows these diffs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts