LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
GTO FOREVER
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for some odd reason, my battery died again! I replaced the original with a brand new one from my local autoshop back in July i think.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had their battery go out from having something connected to the plug inside the middle storage compartment? I've had the Harmon/Kardon iDrive connected to it 24/7, so that's why i'm suspecting where it might had been draining. Anyone else have this happen?

I'll be taking it to the dealer for this, and the cruise control not being able to set anymore. The difference this time around is that the battery holds a charge when I get the battery charger hooked up to it (unlike the original one). Perhaps I should've gotten the optima red/top :bomb:
Help? thx!

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
HORTENSE said:
Well for some odd reason, my battery died again! I replaced the original with a brand new one from my local autoshop back in July i think.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had their battery go out from having something connected to the plug inside the middle storage compartment? I've had the Harmon/Kardon iDrive connected to it 24/7, so that's why i'm suspecting where it might had been draining. Anyone else have this happen?

disconnect it and see what happens. i have a mysterious drain as well but i think its whatever device controls the power output for accesories like the radio ect.

·
.. .. .. ..
1,025 Posts
My Drive+Play is connected to the center console plug 24/7 as well, and I've never had a problem with battery draining. FWIW, I'm running an Optima Red Top.

·
Administrator
9,493 Posts
The power outlet in the console is on the accessory power circuit and should not be powered once the car is off and locked. There may be a problem with the retained accessory power not shutting off as it's supposed to, in which case any devices connected to that socket would continue to draw current.
Many of us have replaced the OEM battery with a Red Top and it's a great upgrade. However a new battery won't solve your problem in this case.

·
GTO FOREVER
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks everyone for your replies. so far today i've had it unplugged and the car is operating normal. something i have noticed was that the engine started cranking slower for about a month (barely noticible) before it died, and after I had charged the battery up a bit yesterday, the engine turned faster on startup. i'll keep this updated.

·
Registered
366 Posts
During winter storage, mine lasts 3-4 weeks. Even on stock vehicles something is draining the batt. The alarm is probably miniscule. What else could it be?

·
Administrator
9,493 Posts
stevedelegard said:
During winter storage, mine lasts 3-4 weeks. Even on stock vehicles something is draining the batt. The alarm is probably miniscule. What else could it be?
3-4 weeks is probably about right. On any modern vehicle there will be some standby or "parasitic" drain. Between the alarm, radio, PCM/BCM and so on it's probably in the neighborhood of 50ma or so. That's just an approximate number, on the GTO it could be somewhat more or less, perhaps someone has actually measured it. In addition there is a certain amount of self-discharge that takes place within the battery itself.
So, it's not unreasonable to have the battery run down after a period of several weeks when the car has not been started. In the winter this will happen sooner if the car is outside or in an unheated garage since the battery loses some capacity as the temperature drops.
If you're going to be parking the car for an extended period, there are a few things you can do to help preserve the battery-
- Disconnect it, if there is no need to have the car powered for the alarm etc. This will eliminate the parasitic drain but not the self-discharge.
- Hook up a small maintenance charger. If the car is in a location with power you can get a small plug-in charger. If it's outside you can use a solar charger, which will be strong enough to make up for the discharge and drain. However since the lighter socket is switched, you'd need to find another place to connect the solar charger since most of them plug into the lighter.
- Get a better battery. The Optima batteries, which many of us have gotten to replace the OEM battery, have a much lower self-discharge rate and hold up better during storage. If you disconnect a fully-charged Optima before the winter and reconnect it in the spring, the car will probably start (although it's still not a bad idea to keep the battery on charge). A standard battery left alone for that long will probably be dead.

·
GTO FOREVER
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think i know what it is! For some reason, the vents have been blowing air, even though the car is off (and the key is out of the ignition!). unless this is normal... i NEVER noticed it doing that for the past 9 months i've had it.

i have the air turned down to 1, circulated the air, and the air is still flowing! It's not the AC fan, I already checked under the hood. where is this other fan? perhaps a blown fuse is causing this? i wont be able to take it to the dealer until weds... so i'm hoping this is something i can fix myself.

thoughts?

·
Administrator
9,493 Posts
There is no other fan. With the car off the vent fan should not be running. Can you hear the fan operating or do you just feel some air coming through the vent?

·
GTO FOREVER
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just the sound of air going through the vents...maybe a slight hum of what i think is an ultra-quiet fan. with my windows up, and all the vents closed (except for one), it blows pretty hard.

·
GTO FOREVER
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
day 2 at the dealership. they "can't find what's draining the battery" ... i miss my goat! :bomb:

·
GTO FOREVER
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update: they said a couple of bad resistors were causing the air / cruise control issues. they are waiting for the replacements to come from .australia.

but at least i can drive it! :turbonaug

1 - 12 of 12 Posts