LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so 2021 whats the recommendation on coolant? probably having to drain and refill since i need to change the a/c compressor. stick with a dexcool compatible or flush and go with standard green?

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
10,258 Posts
If you're going to flush it every 2 years or so - I'd say you're OK with Green.

but I actually prefer the Dexcool so I still suggest that.

·
Worthless reject member
46,879 Posts
dexcool or prestone "all vehicles" (which happens to be green, and is an OAC extended life coolant like dexcool, although the additive package is different IIRC).

don't bother with the older silicate-based green crap.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I use the pink stuff. I didn't want the silicates and the asian stuff seems to protect aluminum a little better. If you're running an aluminum radiator, it's something to think about.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
1,221 Posts
I thought that Zerex looked familiar, as my wife's '09 Grand Caravan uses the same coolant.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,310 Posts
Every couple years something in my coolant system has needed repair and I've always refilled with Dexcool.
Water pump lasted ~165k miles, Cold Case radiator has been going for years, and there are no traces of coolant in my oil analysis samples.

I'm also still on my original heater core.... 🤐

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,478 Posts
I just use the Prestone "All Vehicles" coolant.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
10,258 Posts
Ford and Chrysler and a few other companies went to the Yellow coolant a few years ago on some engines. Ford it seems has gone back tot he pink/orange equivalent of Dexcool.

SOme countries are not mandating use of the Yellow HOAT coolant becasue they are wanting the phosphate to be removed. I'm mostly OK with that but honestly it doesn't protect the AL better, it's actually worse over all than the POAT.

while debated the reason the phosphate is in the coolant is to help keep the conversion coatings on the interior of the radiator and. Now there is some claim that the HOAT is better on plastics and hoses, and I Could sort of see that. but I have some coolant hoses still on my g8 that are 12 years old with 186K miles on them.

Regardless I think either of them are fine. I will keep using the pink stuff while I can as it is often still cheaper. that might not stay the case though.

·
1 of 40,757
6,617 Posts
Last fall I replaced my radiator with one of those ebay aluminum "G units".
Mid winter I woke up in a sweat not remembering if I put coolant in it or not.

Thankfully it was 50% yellow stuff and the freeze plugs are still where they're supposed to be.
I changed over to yellow when I replaced the water pump.

·
Registered
956 Posts

Thankfully it was 50% yellow stuff and the freeze plugs are still where they're supposed to be.
Glad to hear you CYA. Sometimes you have to do little things to prevent distraction+disaster.

I know when I get ready to do any oil change, then I put the 5QT jug on top of the intake or air cleaner of whatever I'm working on. Zero chance I'm going to get called away and forget to put oil in it after draining it.

·
Worthless reject member
46,879 Posts

You sound like a G Unit yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
so 2021 whats the recommendation on coolant? probably having to drain and refill since i need to change the a/c compressor. stick with a dexcool compatible or flush and go with standard green?
Stay with Dexcool, that’s what the car is made to use. For flushing the system there is a flush called Thoroflush and it’s made to clear out the stick Dexcool out of your system, it’s works really well. Then replace the thermostat afterwards or remove it to run the flush. I used the Orange Prestone Antifreeze and never had issues with it.

·
Freedom Fighter
834 Posts
I also use zerex asian.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I switched to that Prestone extended life stuff about 12 years ago. With that said, any antifreeze will work - the important thing is to do a full flush if you decide to switch as you don’t want to mix types, end up with a correct mix (I shoot for 50/50 to 60/40 antifreeze), just make sure it meets your climate area, and lastly recommended to use distilled water so you don’t get mineral deposits from tap water.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts