LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
DANG!
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think DiabloSport means when they say their tunes...ie: the 91 Octane tune...is for Mildly Modified Vehicles? To me intake and exhaust are mild modifications, heads and cam are not. But I keep seeing people saying that the 91 tune is to lean for a car with headers.

Inputs please.

Thanks

·
3,256 Posts
No problem, I had a hypertech programmer a few years ago, so while I'm not completely new to the tuning, but I am new to the Diablo as well. Hopefully I'll be able to see noticeable gains eventually. As it stands though, my Dyno numbers aren't that impressive with the Diablo tuning.

·
DANG!
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TXGTOU said:
No problem, I had a hypertech programmer a few years ago, so while I'm not completely new to the tuning, but I am new to the Diablo as well. Hopefully I'll be able to see noticeable gains eventually. As it stands though, my Dyno numbers aren't that impressive with the Diablo tuning.
I think they need to be be tweaked a little...I'm just not real sure how to do it yet.:confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can use the data logging function and monitor the two Long Term Fuel Trim parameters, Oxygen Sensor 1 Bank 1, Oxygen Sensor 1 Bank 2, Spark Advance, Maximum Knock Total Spark Retard, and Total Knock Spark Retard parameters.

You need to do this during a 3rd gear wide open throttle run from around 3000-6500 RPM(if you can find a safe spot to do this and comfortable that no cops are around on that stretch of road). 4th gear would be better, IMO, but I can't imagine finding a perfect place and opportunity to do this.

Once you do this, playback the data log and post the numbers and some people will give advice on adjustments. Granted no dyno is being used but this still can potentially help. Good luck.

·
DANG!
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did the pull and here is what I came up with (the run was a total of 03:10.5):

Long Term Fuel Trim parameters: There are 3 on here so I list them top to bottom.
1. Started at 3 and jumped to 15 and then to 38 counts
2. Stayed at 1.56% the whole time
3. Started at 0.00% and then jumped to 0.78% right at the end

Maximum Knock Total Spark Retard: 3.34 to 2.99 to 2.02 to 2.37 to 3.51 to 2.28 then drop off to 0.00 when I let off.

Oxygen Sensor: I can't scroll the screen to see what's what so I'll list them in order they way they show on the screen top to bottom.
1. started at 0.89V, dropped to 0.88V, dropped to 0.86V
2. started at 0.89V, dropped to 0.88V, stayed at 0.88V
3. started at 0.88V, stayed at 0.88V, dropped to 0.86V
4. started at 0.92V, dropped to 0.91V, stayed at 0.91V, up to 0.92V
They all dropped off when I let off 1. 0.00V,2. 0.55V,3. 0.00V,and 4. 0.35V

Spark Advance: Started at 5.00 to 20.00 to 19.50 to 21.00 to 22.00 to 20.00 and dropped off to 5.00 when I let off

Hopefully someone is smart on this stuff because I'm learning right now and I don't know what it all means yet.:confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
When selecting parameters to montitor, highlight a parameter, press the right directional button and the parameter name will scroll to the left so you can see the whole description. I would make adjustments on the Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 and Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 by setting it to -1. Ideally you want them to zero out at WOT, although your current readings are ok, imo. Also you want average LTFT readings of 0 to slightly negative when cruising at 55MPH in 4th gear for manual tranny cars and 3rd gear with automatic cars.

I then would then set the Power Enrichment 2-3.8K parameter to +3 and set the Power Enrichment 4-7K parameter to 5. The idea is to add to the power enrichment to get your o2 values higher. Granted this is not as accurate as a wide band o2 unit but you still can get an ok estimate to make sure you are not running excessively lean. For a start I would shoot for o2 readings at .90-.91. to be on the safe side. Only monitor o2 readings 1 and 3 which are before the cats. If making this adjustment gives you values higher than .91 it won't hurt your car. You can always reduce the adjustment. Even a few .89 readings are probably ok. If you see any .88 or lower readings at certain RPMs then add more PE.

There is another parameter that must be monitored and that is "Total Knock Spark Retard." The idea is to have this parameter to remain at 0. Sometimes it will spike a lower rpm when you first get on it but ideally you want to see only 0 values at wide open throttle. Based on your "Maximum Knock Spark Retard" values starting high, slighlty lowering and then increasing again I'm sure the "Total Knock Spark Retard values were high as well.

It's just trial and error. Right now it looks like you are running too lean, particulary from around 4-6K RPM. If you are getting excessive knock even with ideal o2 readings set then you are better off reducing your spark advance. There are quite a few old posts you can search to get other peoples trial and error on Predator tuning or tuning in general.

What tune are you running? Do you have an intake and exhaust on your car? I have the same problem with the o2 readings getting more lean at high RPM.

·
DANG!
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rfopt said:
What tune are you running? Do you have an intake and exhaust on your car? I have the same problem with the o2 readings getting more lean at high RPM.
Thanks for the inputs. The 91 octane canned tune is in the car right now. I have a K&N CAI on the car as well as a set of SLP LTs, resonator removed and a set of Magnaflow 14211s.

·
DANG!
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rfopt said:
When selecting parameters to montitor, highlight a parameter, press the right directional button and the parameter name will scroll to the left so you can see the whole description. I would make adjustments on the Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 and Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 by setting it to -1. Ideally you want them to zero out at WOT, although your current readings are ok, imo. Also you want average LTFT readings of 0 to slightly negative when cruising at 55MPH in 4th gear for manual tranny cars and 3rd gear with automatic cars.
Where do you make the adjustments on the LTFT??? I found the Power Enrichment 2-3.8K and 4-7K.

·
DANG!
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
rfopt said:
Sorry about that. The LTFT adjustment is made by going to "Injector Calibration" and choose "Injector Slope".
LOL I figured it out. I did a few tweaks and got the knock down to 0%, but the LTFT started at -1.56% jumped to 0% at WOT and then dropped off to -1.56% again when I left off. It looks like it's going lean on the deceleration. I didn't catch it on the way up. I bumped up the 4-7 PE up to 6...is that cool?

·
3,256 Posts
CraigFFB, let me know if the engine blows up so I'll know if I want to try what you are trying! :p :D

·
DANG!
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TXGTOU said:
CraigFFB, let me know if the engine blows up so I'll know if I want to try what you are trying! :p :D
Thanks allot Bro.:slap: It actually seems to doing very well. This car is crazy with no TM and the little bit of tinkering I've done so far. The BFGs are screaming for mercy!!:eek: I'm glad people are willing to help out...because other than that I had no ideal what was up. I'm catching on though.:D

·
3,256 Posts
Well, I finally had time to mess with this thing, and did some live data recording. I can't find anywhere on the Diablosport website that has the download for the windows data viewer. I guess from what I've been reading, that's somewhat typical of Diablosport not to have what they advertise on the packaging. Anyone know where I can read this data from my Diablosport? How are you coming along Craig? Engine still in one piece? :p

·
DANG!
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TXGTOU said:
Well, I finally had time to mess with this thing, and did some live data recording. I can't find anywhere on the Diablosport website that has the download for the windows data viewer. I guess from what I've been reading, that's somewhat typical of Diablosport not to have what they advertise on the packaging. Anyone know where I can read this data from my Diablosport? How are you coming along Craig? Engine still in one piece? :p
Yep...mine's just about dialed in. As far as the viewer, it's not ready yet but should be very soon. I just read the screen for now. I have a plug that I can use in the house. There are really only a few parameters that you need to read to see what's going on. If you need any help let me know.

·
3,256 Posts
yer just a bunch of teases over there at diablosport aren't ya'll? :p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts