LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
WANTED ALIVE!!!!
3,795 Posts
i think its time to upgrade for me. taking a turn uber slow or backing out of a parking spot i get a popping clunking sound and it feels like something is binding up. I guess its time to put the spare rear in and take this one out and investigate.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a clunking when slowly rolling away from a dead stop..I mean, extremely slow. It almost feels like the trans shifts (A4) and then the rear end catches up a second later. If I roll away with normal throttle or aggressive, nothing.

What do you think it is?

Also, has anyone experienced a noise almost like birds chirping? I thought it was my breaks, then I changed the diff fluid and it went away for a day..now it's back..
Did you ever solve this? I've got it now, but I've got an '04 M6.

The noises seem worse when it's cold, chirping birds goes away when warm. I thought it was an idler pulley but it only happens when I'm moving. I'm suspecting the driveshaft carrier bearing, since I've also got a minor vibration in the shifter at about 75mph in 6th.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Did you ever solve this? I've got it now, but I've got an '04 M6.

The noises seem worse when it's cold, chirping birds goes away when warm. I thought it was an idler pulley but it only happens when I'm moving. I'm suspecting the driveshaft carrier bearing, since I've also got a minor vibration in the shifter at about 75mph in 6th.
I've got both of those!! My vibration is very very minor while on the gas, but if I disengage the clutch the vibration is pretty pronounced. Doesn't do it until after about 70 though. I have another driveshaft that I want to try but it's at my parent's house 2 hours away. My chirping comes only when decelerating from about 40, while OFF the brakes, and without using any sort of engine braking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am experiencing the clunck when maneuvering when I first begin driving while the fluid is at ambient. The symptom goes away after the fluid heats up. I just had the fluid changed at the local shop who confirmed that they used 75W140 full synthetic Pensoil with an added friction modifier. Could it be that there isn't enough FM in there? Would that clunk indicate that there is too much or too little? I am no longer under warranty and I want to go to a dealer about as much as I want a root canal but it may come to that...

·
Tailgating nearby
274 Posts
I am experiencing the clunck when maneuvering when I first begin driving while the fluid is at ambient. The symptom goes away after the fluid heats up. I just had the fluid changed at the local shop who confirmed that they used 75W140 full synthetic Pensoil with an added friction modifier. Could it be that there isn't enough FM in there? Would that clunk indicate that there is too much or too little? I am no longer under warranty and I want to go to a dealer about as much as I want a root canal but it may come to that...
NewImpulse, I'm in the same boat; just noticed the 'clunck' a couple of weeks ago? Did you take yours to the dealer? What happened?

·
So it goes.
6,899 Posts
Sticky.

·
So it goes.
6,899 Posts
Bump to the front page.

Mods, please sticky:judge:

·
nothing witty today
1,255 Posts
my differential has a symphony of chirps, cluncks, knocks, and whines... but that all dosnt matter cuz im getting a eaton trutrac and 3.91 gears on thursday FACE:turbonaug

·
Colts fan
2,475 Posts
My diff is making noises on deceleration. Took it into the dealer this morning and a new diff is on its way. Thank gawd for warranty. Hoping this will also eliminate some of the clunking at low speeds.

·
midnight blue M6
178 Posts
I noticed my diff. started making noise around 30k, now at 37k acceleration or decel. same howl. I changed the fluid with valvoline synthetic and some fm. within 1500 of the fluid change I now have very loud clunks every time I let out the clutch when I shift.
Got under the car and grabbed an axle shaft and the pinion, turned back and forth to see if any play, there was very little, nothing unusual.
The tranny was in gear, rotated just the drive shaft.. geez it turned almost a quarter turn either direction and made a clanking noise at the tranny..
whats the deal with that?

·
Christian Goat
3,533 Posts
Try putting jacking the rear end up in the air and grab the tire and spin back and forth. That's the clunking sound you're hearing at low speeds. It's scary.

·
goat1964-2004
179 Posts
I installed a Harrop Diff cover along with Pedders 0 drop springs / shocks last month and have noticed allot of clunking from the back of the car only after I drive and get it warmed up. The car will make these noises when I go from reverse to drive (A4) or when I make really slow turns and go over a few bumps. I also tried the "figure 8's" trick in a parking lot and the posi clutches seem fine.

I have checked for broken welds, loose bolts, loose suspension components, shock mounts, and have added another 1 oz of type "F" friction modifier (total 4 oz) to my Torco fluid just to make sure.

Any suggestions ????

·
Registered
44 Posts
ever since i installed a hendrix 2 piece I have had a clunk as soon as I shift into R. and then when I shift in to D. and also when it down shifts hard.

·
Greg
100 Posts
I have a slight whine, like a bad bearing, whenever I accelerate the first couple of seconds of each gear. If I let off and the RPMs are low enough and I accelerate again it will make the noise again. It seems like it's coming from the transmission but I'm not 100% sure. Any ideas? I'm going to replacing the tranny fluid tomorrow night and I've already replaced the rear diff fluid. It was making this noise before and after I changed the rear diff fluid.

·
Hand Me Down Goat
471 Posts
Why do I have a bad feeling we are all in for new diffs...amazing, after all these years, GM just refuses to get it right. It's amazing they haven't gone bankru...oh wait, never mind.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I am having problem with driveline noise. a little background, about a year ago I had the 3rd gear sycro fixed and since then I would notice a little unusual vibration coming from trans, but nothing severe and not very often.

About a month ago I replaced the gear shift lever with LSS and found it to get a little noisery but still not dramatic enough to warrant investigation.

Last week I put new shocks on the back along with the differential bushings. Everything went smooth. Most of my driving is short jaunts so I never noticed anything, well yesteday I went for a longer trip and after about 10-15 miles of highway driving 65-70 mph, I started getting a progressively loaded hum and vibration that seem to go through the whole car driveline.

I noticed that when I applied the brakes as I was coming to a stop it would diminish.(my belief is that the brake being applier diminished the sound transfer)

After I let the car sit a while when I started again it would not make the noise but as soon as it appeared that things got up to operating temp the noise would return. done this several times. When first starting no issue, the longer I drive the sounds comes on.

I removed the diff bushing and found that 90% of the noise is gone but I am thinking this is just masking a problem that is there but the diff bushing brought it more to the fore front.

any suggestions.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My 04 GTO A4 has a whine from the rear also.

When I first got the car it sounded exactly like a Eaton supercharger. It was comical but I knew it wasn't a good noise. I made mostly short trips and it was cool out for the first few months.

In warm weather the rear whines really bad above 50mph, only when holding a constant speed or decelerating. Never makes the noise on accelleration. No clunks, no bangs, no crunch.

I changed the fluid and used some Redline, it was ALMOST silent for about 2 months. Now it's getting loud again...but no where NEAR as loud as before. I'm going to do another fluid change after the car comes back from the body shop and see what happens.

On some short 5-15 mile trips it'll never make a noise, other trips especially in warm temps it'll howl at me like a dying dog.

·
NRFD
9 Posts
Hey guys, sorry if this has been mentioned/asked before but I'm on the road and have to do this from my phone. Just noticed there is a whirring noise coming from driveline?? Its always there no matter what speed. Does get faster with speed. Any help would be awesome! Oh and its a 6 speed.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts