LS1GTO Forums banner

Dial-Up is ****

775 views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  OrangeCrushM6 
#1 ·
So I was in Pensacola this weekend staying at a beachside hotel and of course my laptop came along and of course another hotel with no broadband.....Best I could do was a 28.8 connection.....So I was having withdrawals and could barely read any posts......and now I finally got caught up reading all 150+ posts and seeing some of the Hi-res pics.......
dial up should be banned for good........ :punch:

#2 ·
There are some hotels that now offer broadband. On my El Paso trip, I found one in Vicksburg and planned my whole trip around staying overnight there on the way out and back. Just bring along an ethernet cable. My first night, on the way out, it took me a while to figure out how to configure it, but smooth sailing on the way back.

But in a couple of years even your Motel 6's will have broadband.

Padre

#3 ·
Best I could do was a 28.8 connection
Welcome to my world :p I used to have a nice 1meg cable connection, then I moved out into the country and 28.8 is on a good day.

#4 ·
ArlingtonGoat said:
Welcome to my world :p I used to have a nice 1meg cable connection, then I moved out into the country and 28.8 is on a good day.
oh man no way......once you go cable you can never go back......I'd rather shoot myself.... :barf:

#7 ·
I have dial up here. Unable to get broadband atm.

I have 50.6... Slooowwwwwwww

:(

#9 ·
ArlingtonGoat said:
I hear ya!!

But this is the view from my deck
ok so that is very nice!!!!!!! I can see why now.....but still DIAL UP!!!!! ouch

#14 ·
Yellow Jacket M6 said:
I see a lot of power lines in that last pick. The newest broadband is going to
be through electrical lines. That's right, you'll get broadband from your
electrical outlets. Testing is being done in a few areas now. This should
take off like hotcakes once it goes bigtime. :)
Anything that i have seen reviewed that goes through electrical outlets is generally crappy. Satellite has made tremendous jumps in quality. It potentially has the highest download time and it used to use dial-up for uploading.With DirectTv and other sat companies poping up signals are much better ( i can find out even more as far as latency and improving signals, my friends a sat communications expert for the Army although now he can't get a job after 6 years). Yeah satillite is still a little on the long ping side so gamming will just be lag hell. But they also said Cable was supposed to be laggyl. There are many forms of DSL, the most common relies on you being close to HQ, but in your area you may have the other forms of DSL available. Check dslreports.com

#16 ·
My cable was never laggy. There were servers I would jump on in the 20's. Satellite however is a big no no for gaming the latencies are way too high. Best deal I can get is straight from Hughes for a 500k (at best) connection would be $600 for the equipment and $59.95 a month (this does not include install).

I have a nice 3 meg DSL connection at my office and just do all my DL'ing here and burn a CD. Gotta love CDRW's. I just cant justify the price (both monthly and equipment) for a 500k connection and screaming high latencies.

I'll just keep begging my cable company to start internet service. I think it's been long enough to send another e-mail ;)

#18 ·
White Rider said:
I love my dial up, yesterday I went to a friends house and used his broadband and It scared me.

I love dial up.

Adam
:sneaky: :sneaky: :drink: :drink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.