LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i went to pick up my car at the dealer the car was in the showroom under bright lights and i could see lots of swirls on some parts of the body. The car looked as if it had been whashed with a scotch brite,my sales guy said "that can be buffed out",my car is phantom black so i really hope it can be buffed out.You would think they would be smart enough not to put swirls on the car by whashing/drying them with a towel.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Mine had a few light scratches in the back that were buffed out. No swirl marks that I could see.

·
297kW User
1,928 Posts
Swirls occur with washing/drying with normal towels, rubbing hard will make it worse. If it's not bad it can be buffed out, otherwise a body shop will have to wet sand the finish to remove it.

It'd be smart to request dealers do not wash your car prior to delivery.

·
297kW User
1,928 Posts
pontiac04GTO said:
You would think they would wash it right, though? Dont you? They are the people who deal with cars on a dail basis.
Ha ha no.

I've never been to a dealership that properly washes a car. They all (and I do mean all, from Kia to BMW dealers) hose and soap them off, then quicky dry them with any old towels they have.

It results in swirl, water spotting, stuff like that, but most of the time it can be remedied with a proper detailing by yourself or a professional.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Swirls

RemoteControlD said:
When i went to pick up my car at the dealer the car was in the showroom under bright lights and i could see lots of swirls on some parts of the body. The car looked as if it had been whashed with a scotch brite,my sales guy said "that can be buffed out",my car is phantom black so i really hope it can be buffed out.You would think they would be smart enough not to put swirls on the car by whashing/drying them with a towel.
Let's think about this... The guy washing the car at the dealership is about 15yrs old, thinking he's gonna get one of these mean machines when he gets his license (yeah, right! @ $5.50/hour?) and how he's gonna get a date this weekend all at the same time (yet another pipe dream). With that much distraction and inattention, you're lucky he didn't scratch it with his belt buckle! When you go to pick up a car and something isn't right and the salesman says, "It'll buff out", your best reply: "Great, call me when it's done THEN I'll take delivery!" It's neither YOUR car, nor YOUR problem until the tail lights clear the curb.

·
Registered
45 Posts
How Dry I Am

yourguyry said:
what is the best way to dry your car then... if not to use a tipical towel??
. Take a full size chamois by two adjacent corners. Lay it flat on the car and drag it across to rake the wet off. Repeat across the entire car.
:cool:
. If you really want to avoid mineral spots from standard tap water, final rinse with Distilled or Deionized water. Less than a dollar per gallon at WallyWorld. Work from the top down. How you get the DI water on the car is up to you. Maybe buy a new, standard garden sprayer. Make sure it's absolutely clean. Wash it out real well. There is always a oily mold release film on the plastic ones. Then make sure it's only used for final rinse on your car.

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Mr. Clean

AmesGTO said:
I'm going to try the Mr. Clean product this weekend and see how that does. I'm hoping it works well for a red car.
I got one of those last week. Washed the car Friday afternoon. No drying off and no spots!!! I'm impressed. The down side is that the Mr. Clean starter kit will not last as long as they say on the instructions. No way. But it does what it says. And that is on a black car.

Diggs

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mr. Clean?

Diggs said:
I got one of those last week. Washed the car Friday afternoon. No drying off and no spots!!! I'm impressed. The down side is that the Mr. Clean starter kit will not last as long as they say on the instructions. No way. But it does what it says. And that is on a black car.

Diggs
What's this "Mr. Clean" deal?
:confused:

·
2,432 Posts
They have a car wash kit. You hook a device on the end of your garden hose and it has different settings for wash and rinse. The soap has something in it to make the car shead water better. The rinse has a water filter; so the end result is you wash your car with this and you don't dry it when you are done. In theory no water spots.

Wal-mart here in town has a huge display for it. I saw ads for it at Target and several auto parts stores also.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought the Mr. Clean product also (for my silver Caprice). The soap aspect of the product STINKS in my opinion. I am used to having a bucket and spraying a little soap solution onto a door panel results in nearly dry wash mitt action. Not good. I even used up the entire "starter soap." The spot-free portion (thanks to the Pur water filter) worked PERFECTLY, even on all glass surfaces (as long as you flushed the soap and rinse water off with the filtered water).

So my plan next time I wash the car is to use a regular bucket and wash mitt with regular car wash soap, then final rinse with the spot-free setting. Not to mention, the literature/documentation is hilarious! Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My suggestion, blue oval style... jk, I detail here and there.

On a black car you will ALWAYS have to be sensitive when washing and caring for your paint. I would suggest when washing use one of the soft had gloves, I would use two, one for the lower body, one for the upper body. Start with the upper of the car and work your way down.

- Use a plastic squigee and use a chamois to dry, not towels

- For your car and the "swirls" I would use 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, it wets the paint and fills the swirls

- Finish off with a paste carnuba wax

If scratches are deeper then you would need a buffer and I would suggst 3M Finesse It II after a wash and before the glaze.

Good luck, make sure she's pretty when she's in my mirror!

;0)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts