LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to the track (motorsports ranch-houston) this weekend and beat the hella my new gears and kaaz. really pleased with the way the kaaz puts the power down - much better control of the beast now. anyway next morning i see oil that had dripped on the garage floor beneath the diff area - not a lot - maybe a couple of ounces max. so i jack er up for a thorough inspection and see (and smell) gear oil on the underbody around the differential area. I checked the level in the diff and its full - make even a bit over-full. Im thinking that the oil was forced out from the diff vent tube - and generally got splattered about the undercarriage. I think the vent tube comes out the top of the diff and just gets routed into the diff mount on the chassis (where the diff mounts bolts to the chassis) - and is permiitted to leak down / out. kind of a crappy system i think. anybody else had this happen ?

·
god of the sea people
229 Posts
well mine's in the dealer right now for a diff overhaul. the pinion and cover seal were both leaking, the rear tranny seal was leaking, and they were going to check the axle seals also. it was one-legging too.. i'm surprised they even covered it, considering i have 13k and the rear tires are almost done and don't match the front..... fronts to the rear, rears to the trash... thats what i get for being the only drifter here... i need some wheels for my adventures... so i don't tear up my stock tires, and it looks good for the dealer

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jontall said:
If there are no leaks; it's from the vent tube.
i cannot see any evidence that its leaking from the axle seals, the cover, or the pinion seal.

·
keep it simple
2,098 Posts
I had oil blow out the vent tube one time and it never did it again. The hose is pushed into the cross member that holds the rear mount.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
simpleGTO said:
The hose is pushed into the cross member that holds the rear mount.
yeah..what is the point in that ?? cause there is nothing to prevent it from leaking out any/everywhere. like i said..crappy design imo
i think ill install one of the home depot inline filters / catch can things and see if i can measure how much actually comes out from the vent - and when.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts