LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I've decided recently to open Pandora's box and redo all the rear end components on my 04A4. I'm finally in the final stretch, but also the most overwhelming for a newbie, rebuilding the diff. To my knowledge only GeForce1320 makes a complete kit for rebuilding/regearing the diff so I went with their rebuild kit, side adjusters, and some extra odds and ends. So my diff will have stock gears and lsd with all new bearings, seals, and fluid.

The first issue was taking out the sensors on the rear cover. I still can't get them loose and would love some feedback in how to do so for when they go bad.

Second, I snapped the two bolts that hold the little metal angle fellas(?) on.
Every other bolt came out super easy and the broken ones weren't an issue when it came to removing the cover.

Third was the side adjusters. I'm working with an old school hot rodder that has a private home shop that rebuilds old iron rear ends. He has years of experience and all the tools you'd ever need to rebuild a rear end, so you'd think. My passenger side came out pretty easily with a hit from the ol' air hammer. The driver side would only budge from soaking in an ATF and Acetone mix for awhile and repeated hits from an air hammer. We tried the oil filter tool trick and that thing just broke apart, even after welding. Obviously we were replacing them anyways so it wasn't crucial to save them.

So my diff guru dropped a ton of knowledge on me during the whole process. We're not done yet, but all we have left is reassembly.

The old bearings and new bearings should have the same numbers on the races if you're unsure.

So my main point aside from helping whoever may stumble here, is if you buy from GeForce, they don't send or sell a tool for the new adjusters only citing that you can use a "common spanner wrench". No spanner wrench we had would fit and I had to run out and buy another $30 tool.
They sell a shim kit for the pinion, but no longer sell the solid spacer for a no crush sleeve setup. I suppose those aren't mutually exclusive, but just why?

Not unhappy in the least bit, but it would be nice if they could chime in about it.

Edit: This eBay kit comes with everything GeForce's does plus a tool for $260 shipped. The only on paper difference is the larger bearing GeForce uses. Both are cnc billet steel.

·
GR-RRR!
5,374 Posts
As far as the speed sensors, you would have to break the cover to get them out. Unless you are changing the cover, just leave them in the cover.

·
Registered
142 Posts
"They sell a shim kit for the pinion, but no longer sell the solid spacer for a no crush sleeve setup. I suppose those aren't mutually exclusive, but just why?"

Really? I just bought a rebuild kit with the solid spacer from them a month ago. Based on your custom removal tool above, you shouldn't have any problem making a solid spacer.

·
Chief CAD monkey
748 Posts
Evarto,
You are having a lot of trouble with your diff build. Mine came apart without all that drama.
I have the GForce pinion spacer as well ordered just a few weeks ago. Maybe I got the last one. It is just very loose fitting piece of tubing (pipe?) if you can cut the ends nice and square.

Edit: The pinion shim kit listed on GeForce site is for pinion depth. My order was through Wretched for the pinion preload spacer kit that drop shipped from GForce.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As of right now, you can't order a pinion nut, solid spacer, or inner stub removal tool from GeForce, but you can from Wretched.co and it shows it drops from GeForce. Wish I would've know you could still get the solid spacer kit as you couldn't from GeForce directly when I ordered parts maybe a month ago.

The OE shim was fine so we just reused that for pinion depth and everything has a good pattern. Just waiting to go back into the car now (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts