LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have this on there car? Does it really work, it's only 60 bucks. Just wondering if it was worth the work. Any insight would be helpful.

I am sick of the one wheel wonder I want:gears: I thought the diff was gone but dealer says its fine :bs:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
try changing your fluid first. that seems to cure it for a lot of people. im not detering you from the spring tuning kit, but just giving you some info.

·
Walk Soft & Carry Big Stick!
506 Posts
I had the spring kit installed when the gears went into my centersection. I went with the +.060 endplates. In 2K+ miles since, yet to spin one wheel only. In a curve, if the wheels begin to spin, the rearend is coming around! (Lots-O-Fun!) Not sure how cost effective it would be to have kit installed into a rearend that is still in the car, without doing the gears. With my situation, it would have been dumb not to do it! All I can testify to is that the kit works damn good!

·
da slow kid of the bunch
3,885 Posts
Yes it's worth it. IF you are getting a one wheel peel you have just increased your chances of a busted half shaft 10 fold. Why you ask, because now the ONE shaft thats working is carring the weight/load of the whole car. how long to yo utink it will last like that ?

Spend a little money now or a lot more money later, it's your choice.

·
= Ol Dirty Ed
3,280 Posts
Im interested as well Im gonnna change the fluid maybe I'll get the kit installed as well.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Smitty said:
I had the spring kit installed when the gears went into my centersection. I went with the +.060 endplates. In 2K+ miles since, yet to spin one wheel only. In a curve, if the wheels begin to spin, the rearend is coming around! (Lots-O-Fun!) Not sure how cost effective it would be to have kit installed into a rearend that is still in the car, without doing the gears. With my situation, it would have been dumb not to do it! All I can testify to is that the kit works damn good!
This is what my car did when new. I miss that. Got 3.91's comming, with install kit. Will be installing the tuning kit too. I hope this works. BTW, I am using another center section I bought a while ago. Want to make it strong, and will not install it in my car till it is complete.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
I like mine, they definately improve the 2 wheel feel in the back, no more 1 wheelers.

Make sure to run Torco with Type F modifier. I have straight Royal Purple in mine and theres not enough modifier in it stock. I had Torco w/Type F modifier in it before it got drained last and there were no issues. I Am sure anything with the proper amount of modifier in it will work but just make sure to not go overboard on it or not enough.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,676 Posts
DiffTechnics said:
I think people just get chatter.... no harm done to diff though!
Rather have chatter than have it slipping like crazy because of the additive.

BTW, I'm running RP and I have no chatter :)

·
Born Again Goat
1,555 Posts
Black Devil said:
Want to make it strong, and will not install it in my car till it is complete.
What exactly are you doing to make the diff/LSD stronger? The tuning kit and gear change? Or are you using a 2005 center section?

·
Walk Soft & Carry Big Stick!
506 Posts
Pulse_GTO said:
how much Type F modifier do you use, anyone have a ratio?
After a bit of trial and error, I arrived at my current set-up of 4oz Torco Type F added to damn near 3quarts of Torco RGO 85/140 fluid. I'm running the Harrop cover, which is supposed to bring fluid capacity to 2.5 quarts (stock is 1.7qts), but like I said, damn near all three bottles went in before it began to overflow the fill hole. The rearend is quiet as a mouse, locks up tight, and really puts the power to the ground with the 3.91's.

So, if you figure 4oz to 3 quarts, then 2oz to 1.5 quarts or a little over 2oz in a stock rearend - to answer the question above.

F.Y.I., the Friction Modifier comes in little 4oz bottles.

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Here my question though, how hard would it be to add just the spring tuning kit and not change the gears? if the pinion is messed with, and (sorry for the lack of technical terms, but) the adjustments on each side of the pinion, shouldnt you be able to remove the pinion and LSD, install the pring tuning kit, and put everything back in and not worry about the pinion angle being different?

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
GoatChs said:
What exactly are you doing to make the diff/LSD stronger? The tuning kit and gear change? Or are you using a 2005 center section?
I have a 2005 unit with about 7k miles on it. Sold the stubs, and want to use the spring kit to stiffen the LSD unit, and add 3.91's. I don't think I need a KAAZ yet. When I get enough to merrit that pruchase, I will buy one. Untill then, just want a better and stronger rear. I am getting one legger slike crasy, and it is driving me nuts.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
s/c'd cav said:
1st vid sure looked alot like a 95-99 eclipse that left the gto way behind

2nd vid looked like a C6 , and nothing but ricer fly by's

neither showed the purpose of the spring kit for the lsd
You are right. But, I liked watching him hit the 7k rpm limit. :drink:

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts
ok i think i saw the vette in the first 1 on windows media , i was at work and it opened in real player , the eclipse took off , then the vette shot by when the camera vibrated , so it looked like the eclipse became winner

but with out someone behind you and taping , its hard to prove it was a 1 wheel peel , and is the cause of you loosing that 1 , im not saying it didnt happen , just hard to show with the camera in the car

1 - 20 of 26 Posts