LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dimensions of Blaupunkt stereo?/Eclipse avn2454 fit?

Hi;

Does anybody know all of the dimensions of the factory installed 04 gto blaupunkt head unit? I'm planning on installing an Eclipse Navigation system (avn2454) in its place (double din size) which requires 7" w, 4" h, and 7" d.

I'm new to this, so perhaps a better question than what is the measurement of the current factory head unit is, "will a new head unit measuring the above (again, 7w x 4hx 7d) fit in the location if I remove the current blaupunkt?

Hope the Eclipse will fit, I like that model quite a bit.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

purple gto driver for 4 days
:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 04 Blaukpunkt radio/cd unit itself is standard double din size, but the facia panel that they have put on it is not - its slightly bigger and not 'square'. The facia panel is 192mm width at the top, 180mm width at the bottom, with a height of 140mm.

So there is room to fit a double din unit. But - because of the position of the radio cage behind the dash, and the odd sized facia panel opening mentioned above - once you've fitted a standard double din sized unit, you will be left with a small gap at the top, approximately a 25mm gap at the bottom, and uneven gaps at the side. Also, the unit will sit too far back in the dash, so you have to space it forward slightly. A custom made facia surround is the only answer, as nobody seems to make a facia panel DIN adaptor for the Monaro/GTO.

I really wish they would not fit these cheap non-standard sized radios as standard that are a pain to replace. These type of radios should only be fitted to small/cheap city cars. When you're buying a car such as the Monaro/GTO, they should give you the option of having NO radio fittted and just a standard sized din space so you can fit your own system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks + Depth o.k?

PaulS said:
The 04 Blaukpunkt radio/cd unit itself is standard double din size, but the facia panel that they have put on it is not - its slightly bigger and not 'square'. The facia panel is 192mm width at the top, 180mm width at the bottom, with a height of 140mm.

So there is room to fit a double din unit. But - because of the position of the radio cage behind the dash, and the odd sized facia panel opening mentioned above - once you've fitted a standard double din sized unit, you will be left with a small gap at the top, approximately a 25mm gap at the bottom, and uneven gaps at the side. Also, the unit will sit too far back in the dash, so you have to space it forward slightly. A custom made facia surround is the only answer, as nobody seems to make a facia panel DIN adaptor for the Monaro/GTO.

I really wish they would not fit these cheap non-standard sized radios as standard that are a pain to replace. These type of radios should only be fitted to small/cheap city cars. When you're buying a car such as the Monaro/GTO, they should give you the option of having NO radio fittted and just a standard sized din space so you can fit your own system.

Thanks for your reply; I was happy to see somebody posted to this! Do you think the depth will be o.k.? That was a concern of one stereo place I brought it to; they were sure the height and width were fine, but said that sometimes GM factory units are not as deep as aftermarket.

Would the current radio cage accomodate 7" of depth? And if not, do you think there is room behind it, without hitting any electrical or other components if I were to have a custom piece made to hold it?

Thanks again...Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
christopherxy1 said:
Would the current radio cage accomodate 7" of depth? And if not, do you think there is room behind it, without hitting any electrical or other components if I were to have a custom piece made to hold it?

Thanks again...Chris
There should be enough room. The current radio cage / Blaukpunkt head unit, not including the odd shaped front panel, is 6.75" depth. The front panel has a depth of 0.5".

·
Registered
607 Posts
miscreant posted a pic on another thread (yesterday I think) of a kenwood 2-din HU, the ddx 7015 which is very similar to the avn2454. It doesn't look like you will have a problem and you can use the dimensions from that HU to compare to the eclipse. The stereo shoup should be able to fab a faceplate to cover the hole and shouldn't charge you much to do it. Most shops stock enough templates to have something they can cut on a little to fit.

I was looking at the avn 2454 line but my retailer steered me away. He says the hard drive version was discontinued due to a myriad of problems. One being false advertising on the hard drive. Aparantly they only store 8 gig of data, not 20. He stated that even if I got one, if I had any problems w/ it, I would be waiting a long time to have it fixed since they can't replace it and since it's discontinued.

Now, I know you might be thinking, but thats just some sales guy. I've know this shop for ~4 years now and have bought a lot through them and they have never mislead me or tried to steer me to something w/ more profit margin. I think he was being honest and believe he knows what he's talking about.

If you confirm differently, I'd love to know. I'm 4 days from writing a large check for a bunch of gear.

thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks...now im thinking, what should I do?!

josephra said:
miscreant posted a pic on another thread (yesterday I think) of a kenwood 2-din HU, the ddx 7015 which is very similar to the avn2454. It doesn't look like you will have a problem and you can use the dimensions from that HU to compare to the eclipse. The stereo shoup should be able to fab a faceplate to cover the hole and shouldn't charge you much to do it. Most shops stock enough templates to have something they can cut on a little to fit.

I was looking at the avn 2454 line but my retailer steered me away. He says the hard drive version was discontinued due to a myriad of problems. One being false advertising on the hard drive. Aparantly they only store 8 gig of data, not 20. He stated that even if I got one, if I had any problems w/ it, I would be waiting a long time to have it fixed since they can't replace it and since it's discontinued.

Now, I know you might be thinking, but thats just some sales guy. I've know this shop for ~4 years now and have bought a lot through them and they have never mislead me or tried to steer me to something w/ more profit margin. I think he was being honest and believe he knows what he's talking about.

If you confirm differently, I'd love to know. I'm 4 days from writing a large check for a bunch of gear.

thanks
Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize the 2454 was discontinued; it seems you can still order it from Eclipse, and dealers are selling it. hmmmm. I believe what you stated, just concerned, because I took my car to a very high end installer in northern california (they do shows cars, and many cars at 100k plus) and the guy stated that this has been a good nav unit for them. I guess I'll do a little more research.

Are you installing a nav system in your gto? What did you decide to go with?

Take Care, Chris

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
I put the DDX7015 touch screen in, and plan to add the KNA-DV4100 remote mounted NAV system which integrates to the DDX-7015 touch screen. Overall will cost me $1650 for both, about as much as other Nav systems as good as the Kenwood - but I get a double din system, and do not have my DVD slot used up with Nav disc in the head unit - So I can play movies and do nav at the same time...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where does the brains of the nav go?

miscreant said:
I put the DDX7015 touch screen in, and plan to add the KNA-DV4100 remote mounted NAV system which integrates to the DDX-7015 touch screen. Overall will cost me $1650 for both, about as much as other Nav systems as good as the Kenwood - but I get a double din system, and do not have my DVD slot used up with Nav disc in the head unit - So I can play movies and do nav at the same time...

thanks, so if I understand correctly, is there a seperate nav box that is mounted elsewhere? (trunk?) Or, is this like the eclipse where everything is contained in the head unit?

If navigation was your only concern, and playing cd's with am/fm, and money was no object, what system would you pic?

thanks again...Chris

·
Registered
607 Posts
yeah the kenwood system supports Sirius satellite, nav and the keg (mp3 player) in parallel. all of the components are seperate and would require external mounting.

The eclipse unit I referred to was specifically the one w/ the mp3 hd (2494). I don't believe the unit w/ only the nav system is discontinued. You can still buy the 2494 but its hard to fond (so i am told).

Personally, I chose kenwood's ddx7015 because i liked it's versatility; most other solutions I could find just would not do everything. I may hold off on the keg as phatbox is soon to release a new one w/ more interaction and better playlist's etc. note: phatbox makes the kenwood keg, kenwood just intigrates it under their branding into their excelon series. If i do get the keg now, it's only because you can buy up to 80 gig drives for it; which is attractive.

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
christopherxy1 said:
If navigation was your only concern, and playing cd's with am/fm, and money was no object, what system would you pic?
Sounds just like me.

The DDX7015 can do all of the following, AT THE SAME TIME:

Navigation
SIRIUS Sat radio
AM/FM
Play a DVD
Utilitize a CD Changer (through a pass through on the Sat radio receiver)
Play an external A/V input
Output it's A/V to another screen
Play audio through a Dolby Digital receiver as well

I couldn't find anything else that provided all that, didn't have to be opened and closed, and didn't cover the A/C system.

The KNA-DV4100 is remore located (anywhere, underseat, in trunk), and interfaces with the DDX7015 with it's own plugin, so it can operate while everything else does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts