LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I disabled the "distortion limiter" on the radio this morning and the sound seems a lot more crisp on the stock speakers. Anyone else had a similar experience? In fact, does anyone know what the distortion limiter actually does?

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
The distortion limiter trys to determine when the signal leaving the amp distorts due to clipping. If it senses any signal that it feels is distorted, it will lower the volume.

Some of the "crispness" you are hearing may be clipping. Especially if you feel you are hearing it at higher volumes only.

If you listen to music that has inherant distortion, Heavy F*ckin' Metal for example, the distortion limiter will occasionally misinterpreted that distortion as bad and drop the volume.

As I do listen to Heavy F*ckn' Metal, I turned mine off. Be prepared for the radio to just shut off though.. When it happens, turn it off, give it a second or so and turn it back on. It over heated the sub amp and shut down.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I thought that it applied only to talk shows?

:drink::drink:

·
Registered
329 Posts
sxty8goats said:
The distortion limiter trys to determine when the signal leaving the amp distorts due to clipping. If it senses any signal that it feels is distorted, it will lower the volume.

Some of the "crispness" you are hearing may be clipping. Especially if you feel you are hearing it at higher volumes only.

If you listen to music that has inherant distortion, Heavy F*ckin' Metal for example, the distortion limiter will occasionally misinterpreted that distortion as bad and drop the volume.

As I do listen to Heavy F*ckn' Metal, I turned mine off. Be prepared for the radio to just shut off though.. When it happens, turn it off, give it a second or so and turn it back on. It over heated the sub amp and shut down.
Yeah, mine's cut a few times too after shutting off ADL. Kind of a pita though.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Be prepared for the radio to just shut off though.. When it happens, turn it off, give it a second or so and turn it back on. It over heated the sub amp and shut down.

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Would the radio shut off if you took out all the stock speakers and added your own with a sub?

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Maybe.

Most likely as it is an over-heat sensor. You will get better sound and likely it will be louder as well because the aftermarket speakers tend to be more efficiant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts