LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask this because I've heard of people installing gears in Monaros and GTOs and only knock off about 3 tenths but gain about 3 mpn. That's alot just for a gear swapp. Now we know that gears don't add hp but they probably do free up some up like pulleys. Does anyone have any before and after scenerios?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
No.

Simply allows better "leverage" due to the gear being taller.

Sorta like a 10 speed bike. Start out the bike in second gear, then try it in 1st. Same power (you) but doe to the taller ratio sprocket, it makes better use of leverage therefore making it easier to start out

·
Ft. Drum is ghey
154 Posts
Also lower top speed and worse gas milage when crusing

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
SilverStreakGTO said:
Also lower top speed and worse gas milage when crusing
Yes but who of us in the US is going to care about the difference betweeen being able to go 135 and being able to go 168? And as far as MPG, as has been said many times, this is a GTO with a big honkin' V8. If you're looking for high MPG, you're looking in the wrong place.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
phobos512 said:
Yes but who of us in the US is going to care about the difference betweeen being able to go 135 and being able to go 168? And as far as MPG, as has been said many times, this is a GTO with a big honkin' V8. If you're looking for high MPG, you're looking in the wrong place.
i think he was just trying to point out the negatives of this particular mod. so that nobody is thinking "im gonna put a higher gear in my car which will make me faster, and i wont have to give up anything"

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
i think he was just trying to point out the negatives of this particular mod. so that nobody is thinking "im gonna put a higher gear in my car which will make me faster, and i wont have to give up anything"
And what I put up was simply the counterpoint. :)

·
Ft. Drum is ghey
154 Posts
Thanks, you are correct i was just stating down sides to it... Also harder to put traction to the ground w/o slick of course. More exhaust drone due to higher revs = more police attention... atleast thats how i see it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
SilverStreakGTO said:
Thanks, you are correct i was just stating down sides to it... Also harder to put traction to the ground w/o slick of course. More exhaust drone due to higher revs = more police attention... atleast thats how i see it.

Higher revs also = accelerated cylinder wear.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Usually anything bigger than 4.10's is too much gear for this motor. The sweet ratio would be about 3.90 and I think SLP has a set of 3.91's coming out.

If you want to go take this thing to the autobhan, I'd recommend something like a 2.73. :D Top speed is where the smaller gear gets better mechanical leverage.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
A quick change would be nice.
But as far as I know, money frees up horsepower best.

·
Ft. Drum is ghey
154 Posts
How about a 3.73 for an A4???

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
That's plenty of gear! Especially if you put in a high stall converter. If you were to do that, I'd almost say to leave the stock 3.46 in.

I would like a quick change ford 9" style like Mike mentioned, but they come at a price and I don't even think a unit to fit the IRS like that is available.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you have an M6, you dont need to worry about top speed with a gear change. with the A4 it would be more important. 3.91s should be perfect for most people.

maybe 3.73s for A4 guys that want to try and get a little better highway mileage

1 - 16 of 16 Posts