LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
CPO GTO
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered my D1 tuner kit :burnout: I have gotten a KB bust a pump,Upgraded injectors and A new harmonic balancer. I also have a tunner that is going to tune it for me. DO I need anything else for the install?

·
More Boost = More Fun!
1,461 Posts
I didn't need the boost-a-pump. Which pulley did you ask for.? I asked for 8psi and they sent a 4.5'' pulley which was only good for 6psi, plus they sent the wrong belt. They replaced it with a 4.13 pulley & correct belt, now I have 10psi and man what a ride.

·
dum dum dum dum dudum
6,217 Posts
^^^ Your running 10psi with just an upgraded pump? Thats awesome. What are you putting down to the wheels?

+1 for the springs. Might as well do a cam swap since your already taking the pulley off

Which harmonic balancer did you get? Fluidamper is the preferred one to make sure your belt lines up.

·
CPO GTO
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes i got the fluidamper balancer with a part number off a post here. I also asked for 8 PSI but I think I could live with 6 PSI for awhile. The dyno it is going to be tuned on gets most LS2's at about 340. any guess what it will make with the Kooks and the Procharger?

·
Old Guys Rule
3,076 Posts
Although expensive I would think about the 2 piece timing chain cover. Especially if you are not going to change cams at this time. Every time you pull the harmonic balancer you have to redrill for the index pin. A cheaper approach might be to take the balancer to a machine shop and have them drill it all the way through....that way you should be able to align the index pin your next go around.....

Or just change the cam now and be done with it!!!!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
b727pic said:
Every time you pull the harmonic balancer you have to redrill for the index pin. A cheaper approach might be to take the balancer to a machine shop and have them drill it all the way through....
is this a fuilddamper thing ?

·
Old Guys Rule
3,076 Posts
Jbss71 said:
is this a fuilddamper thing ?
No.....
OEM or aftermarket you still have to drill for the index pin. LSx cranks do not have drift keyways like earlier gen engines. As such ATI was concerned about the drag from the SC possibly causing the balancer to to rotate on the crank....

This is the tool ATI supplies. look closely you can see the drill is centered between the crank edge and the pulley.

OEM pulley with pin installed

This shot was after I installed the fluidampr, you can see the 1/2 hole where the previous drilling took place for the OEM balancer. What I am saying is, every time you pull the balancer you will have to go through this. As the depth of cut does not go all the way through the balancer, there is no way to align previous pin locations.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Heh- I pulled my balancer last night and reinstalled it using the same location- took 4-5 shots to get it right, I did not crank it all the way down, just started to get it snug and check it. It was not fun, but I did not want to drill another hole.
Joe

·
Old Guys Rule
3,076 Posts
kwiktsi said:
Heh- I pulled my balancer last night and reinstalled it using the same location- took 4-5 shots to get it right, I did not crank it all the way down, just started to get it snug and check it. It was not fun, but I did not want to drill another hole.
Joe
Well, I stand corrected.....looks like with a little patience and alot of luck it can be done.

·
Old Guys Rule
3,076 Posts
Exotic Performance Plus said:
Ron, your pic's are great! Bob
Thanks....

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
b727pic said:
Well, I stand corrected.....looks like with a little patience and alot of luck it can be done.
Heh- I think more luck than patience lol. If that thing comes off again, I am just drilling a new hole!!!
Joe

·
CPO GTO
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the balancer in today. It says its for a LS1 Transam. Hope its the right one and the part numbers match all the posts. Now if the super charger just comes in before I deploy it would Su*& to go 6 months knowing it was sitting there with the new found power.

·
Old Guys Rule
3,076 Posts
kwiktsi said:
Heh- I think more luck than patience lol. If that thing comes off again, I am just drilling a new hole!!!
Joe
LOl.....
My new Callies crank had a drift key, took the fluidampr to a machine shop and had a matching key way machined into it.....no more drilling for me!!!:patriot:

·
Old Guys Rule
3,076 Posts
CPO GTO said:
I got the balancer in today. It says its for a LS1 Transam. Hope its the right one and the part numbers match all the posts. Now if the super charger just comes in before I deploy it would Su*& to go 6 months knowing it was sitting there with the new found power.
Always fun when new parts start to show up..... Good luck with the install.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
b727pic said:
LOl.....
My new Callies crank had a drift key, took the fluidampr to a machine shop and had a matching key way machined into it.....no more drilling for me!!!:patriot:
Nice. If I pull my motor apart, that wouldn't be a bad idea to get the crank and balancer machined for a key. Either that, or at least get the groove in the balancer brought all the way to the back so that I can put the pin on the crank, then install the balancer. It would make life a hell of a lot easier!
Joe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts