LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1021 - 1040 of 1049 Posts

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,021
Yea, been a while.

GTO needs a new suspension set up. She has had a bit of engine trouble over the past year or so which seems to be sorted apart from 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles or so. 109K on the clock.

Long and short is that it is time to assess the rebuild cost and decide if I spend the money on her or a down payment on a 3/4 series BMW.

·
Fake bacon lover
11,250 Posts
Wow, another one comes out of the wood work. And he still has a GTO!!

Howdy PJ.
Eh... Easy bey is negative on the rebuild. But... New cars be spendy. Unless we are talking a M4. Those things are niiiiiice. Very affordable too I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
Park it, buy a new ride, get back to it when you want to.

I was just telling someone how I got my SN the other day. Nice to see you still remember your login.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,738 Posts
Tap Tap Tap... Is this thing on?
Yea, been a while.

GTO needs a new suspension set up. She has had a bit of engine trouble over the past year or so which seems to be sorted apart from 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles or so. 109K on the clock.

Long and short is that it is time to assess the rebuild cost and decide if I spend the money on her or a down payment on a 3/4 series BMW.
Melonfarmer - I was thinking about you last week during the last few rounds of the whore off.

Good to see you drop by. Hope all is well.

either A) sell off part out, get something new.

or

B) fix up, keep - buy something new.

I was really going to keep mine - but I had been planning for the new DD purchase at that time.

also having had a 4 door car now for a few years - get a 4 door - they come in handy many times.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,026
Wow, another one comes out of the wood work. And he still has a GTO!!

Howdy PJ.
Eh... Easy bey is negative on the rebuild. But... New cars be spendy. Unless we are talking a M4. Those things are niiiiiice. Very affordable too I'm sure.
If I wasn't set on buying a house....

Park it, buy a new ride, get back to it when you want to.

I was just telling someone how I got my SN the other day. Nice to see you still remember your login.
Melonfarmer - I was thinking about you last week during the last few rounds of the whore off.

Good to see you drop by. Hope all is well.

either A) sell off part out, get something new.

or

B) fix up, keep - buy something new.

I was really going to keep mine - but I had been planning for the new DD purchase at that time.

also having had a 4 door car now for a few years - get a 4 door - they come in handy many times.
My dirty little secret is that I have 2000 528i w/ 200k on the clock as well. It is a truly excellent POS that I bought to give the GTO a rest. But I'm chasing problems with that as well. I have a coolant leak that I can not find. It's a great car to work on and it has given me the bug for a BMW. I'm kind of at a point where I want to stop working on cars for a year or four. So I'm thinking of trading in the GTO, selling the 528i and coming away with a 335xi in the 2012/13 vintage.

Then I drive the GTO and think that would be a mistake. :pimp:

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,738 Posts
uhm - get you a unmolested G8?

serious note - one of the flavors of 5 series bimmer has an issue with the rear of the block leaking coolant - I forget which one. I'm sure a dye test would hook that up.

there is something nice about a 4 door daily.

there's a part of me wanting to buy a new chevy SS - only because it's the last holden I can ever get my hands on. and the G8 has been awesome for me, as has the GTO.

I hate to say it but would you consider a ford fusion for your DD, beat on duties?

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,028
uhm - get you a unmolested G8?

serious note - one of the flavors of 5 series bimmer has an issue with the rear of the block leaking coolant - I forget which one. I'm sure a dye test would hook that up.

there is something nice about a 4 door daily.

there's a part of me wanting to buy a new chevy SS - only because it's the last holden I can ever get my hands on. and the G8 has been awesome for me, as has the GTO.

I hate to say it but would you consider a ford fusion for your DD, beat on duties?
SS is a great car. I've been trying to keep my spending under 35K and those are still @ 53K so she is out. I actually like the look of the Fusion and rented one for a few days. Not a bad car but not really inspiring. I have my eyes open for a low miles G8 manual but I haven't seen one come up yet.

Leak in the BMW is at the front of the block. I did the water pump and T-stat last fall, leak was still there, a bit anyway, so I need to trace it out. Got cold quick and I'm not a fan of working in the driveway under 40*F if I don't have to.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,738 Posts
indeed are you still in Mass?

the fuzion hybrid actually has my attention for some odd reason - I guess because size for size it's equal to a G8 (I know I was mildly shocked too) and it packs quite a lot of good for a DD. and looks great, handles very well.

Do you still do photography?

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,030
indeed are you still in Mass?

the fuzion hybrid actually has my attention for some odd reason - I guess because size for size it's equal to a G8 (I know I was mildly shocked too) and it packs quite a lot of good for a DD. and looks great, handles very well.

Do you still do photography?
I'm still in MA. The Fusion looks great. I was a bit obsessed with it for a while. And it was a good car to drive for a few days, really good in the snow as well. If I was just interested in going from point A to point B I'd probably have one. I'm still shaking my head on Ford's choice to put the Fusion front end on the Mustang though.

I haven't really shot a photo in ages. Every now and then I pull out the rig but it has been years. Part of that is the music scene here isn't what it was in Chicago and part of it is the damn cell phone is handy and shoots good snapshots. On the bike and kayak the cell phone is king.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,032 (Edited)
This place doesn't need me. It has done just fine with me only popping in once or twice a year. LOL

Especially the debate room. They never could handle a guy who believes in spending only what your budget allows, thinks that people who deny science or equal rights because it contradicts their religion should be kicked out of office and that corporations are not people. Hell, I sound like a demo these days but I hate them too. We are nothing to any of them but wallets in the matrix.

·
Slayed by Gagtoe
618,141 Posts
Are you a mod? Or an Admin?

·
Administrator
13,113 Posts
This place doesn't need me. It has done just fine with me only popping in once or twice a year. LOL

Especially the debate room. They never could handle a guy who believes in spending only what your budget allows, thinks that people who deny science or equal rights because it contradicts their religion should be kicked out of office and that corporations are not people. Hell, I sound like a demo these days but I hate them too. We are nothing to any of them but wallets in the matrix.
Feel the same way.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,035
Are you a mod? Or an Admin?
No. But I used to be the head admin years ago.

Every time I sign in there is a 3 or 4 month old pm asking for screen name change or thread moderation.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
9,738 Posts

I'll disagree - a good discussion needs viewpoints but such is life.

also you sound a little down with a rant like that.

but anyway - hope all continues to go well.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,038
I'll disagree - a good discussion needs viewpoints but such is life.

also you sound a little down with a rant like that.

but anyway - hope all continues to go well.
Actually I'm surprisingly happy these days. Feb sucked but I've taken a "That shit's in the past." attitude with just about everything.

With politics these days I do my best to ignore anything on the national stage and stick to local government. I still believe the local arena is still small enough for good people to do good work. I'm very happy with our Republican Mayor in Boston and Governor in MA. Both seem to be working towards a budgeted state/city economy while still putting civic and social issues front and center.

·
Registered
16,184 Posts
This is a bit of a social experiment.

If you post in this thread you are subject to being Banned.

I will randomly check this thread. If I see anyone posting here besides myself, I will pick someone and Ban them. It may be one day, it may be perm. Depends on my mood at the time.

Or not. Maybe I check it and just chuckle a bit at lemmings jumping off a cliff. Nobody is off limits either. Doric can get me back but I can still give him a vacation. :)
Bump.

1021 - 1040 of 1049 Posts