·
GR-RRR!
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #62

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
392 Posts
I would think so. If the plastic is smooth you have to scuff it up a bit and use a good adhesion promoter compatible with the paint you plan to use.
I've been meaning to paint them for a long time and even bought some paint once but then wasn't sure how to sand/prep and didn't end up doing it. I might as well give it a shot as the original gray is peeling off and looks pretty bad.

·
GR-RRR!
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Don't sand into the plastic itself. Just sand into the paint. Use very fine sandpaper and wet sanding works much better. Using an adhesion promoter is a really good idea on plastic.

·
Administrator
8,379 Posts
Don't sand into the plastic itself. Just sand into the paint. Use very fine sandpaper and wet sanding works much better. Using an adhesion promoter is a really good idea on plastic.
For the coil covers, which are notorious for the OEM paint flaking off, I'd sand as much of the original paint off as I could before repainting.

·
Registered
171 Posts
For the coil covers, which are notorious for the OEM paint flaking off, I'd sand as much of the original paint off as I could before repainting.
Good info, but what to do about the notoriously broken tabs that clip on to the fuel rails? $400+ for a new pair only to have the tabs break 10K miles in doesn't sit well. Anyone solved the tab issue?

·
Administrator
8,379 Posts
How often are you removing and replacing the coil pack covers? I've had (2) LS1 GTO's and (2) LS2 GTO's over the years (different retaining clips) and have never broken any clips/mounts removing and replacing them. That said the LS2 style is a much better design that doesn't use a piece of "C" shaped plastic to clip over the fuel rails, so I could see the 04's fatiguing there if you aren't careful. I've never seen/heard it be a common issue though.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts