LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had my GTO for a week and I have noticed that there is a slight lope at idle and also I have a feeling it runs a little off at low throttle.

My 2000 Z-28 did not have this shake and ran smooth at low throttle, so I am thinking cams may be different. Any thoughts ?

I have opened it up a few times and it seems the engine runs smooth at power.

Thanks.

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
yes. a little rumbly shaking is normal due to the cam. no worries.
Yep the shake/shimmy is normal.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
oh BTW. if you put the stick in neutral and rev the engine you can feel the stick pull itself to the right. kind of cool.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
I love this feeling at every stoplight. One of the many benefits of having an M6.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.
Yeah it is pretty cool, gotta love this car !!

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
Oh heck yeah... it shivers like a prom queen after the dance with her skirt hiked up around her... ummm... a lot. Yeah, thats the P.C. comment I meant... :D

However you think of it, it is cool as all hell. Makes me want a bigger cam to make it do it more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
do we have more cam than the early 345hp vettes? i had a 97 and a 99 and neither loped at idle-97 was a4 and 99 was m6. i would say that the GTO feels like it has restricted breathing compared to my vettes, but then i only have 400 miles on my GTO say it might loosen up some and of course the GTO is heavier-still a hell of a car for the rebated pricing. feels like a BMW(i've had 2,as well as a 600sl mercedes-talk about overpriced!) with american V8 power-one heck of a combo.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I love the way the car shakes sometimes - I even wish it were a bit louder at full throttle (within reason) it makes it seam like there's some kind of monster rumbling in the heart of the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Seismic Shake

The shake at idle is caused by a gimick Pontiac coined as Seismic exhaust. It is tuned to cause a slight shake at idle. I could live without it.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Yes.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
dsuperhawk said:
The shake at idle is caused by a gimick Pontiac coined as Seismic exhaust. It is tuned to cause a slight shake at idle. I could live without it.
Please find me a quote on that from Pontiac. I want to know how they are varing the timing at Idle to produce that shake. Last I checked these didn't have a V-Tec engine. If you can tell me how, I may have to have my tuner increase it for me..

·
Big Daddy Says
1,992 Posts
cam lope.... nothing better.....

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yes, Same here!!! My first experence(Being in Ca.) I thought having a pretty good shaker to wiggle the whole car!!! Then it was occurring to often... Then read the site of our LS1 Cam.. Cool... Cos

·
GM master tech
278 Posts
The exhaust doesn't cause the car to shake at idle...it is the cam :cool:

·
Big Daddy Says
1,992 Posts
desertgoat said:
:gr_jest:

Gotta love a smartazz!
no fun without em....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts