LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought the car it would shake any time I was above about 50 MPH. I brought it in and they said three of the tires were out of balance so they took care of that and said htey load tested the tires. They said they all passed. The car drove smooth on the way home, but the next morning the shake was back. About the time I started getting PO'd about it, it was gone. Now every morning when I take off for work and sometimes after work, the steering wheel will shake for about the first five miles or so. I'm just wondering if anyone else with the original BFG's has a shake in their car like this. I'm assuming the tires are getting flat spotted from setting. Is this typical or should I be trying to get the tires replaced?

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
T.Vick said:
When I bought the car it would shake any time I was above about 50 MPH. I brought it in and they said three of the tires were out of balance so they took care of that and said htey load tested the tires. They said they all passed. The car drove smooth on the way home, but the next morning the shake was back. About the time I started getting PO'd about it, it was gone. Now every morning when I take off for work and sometimes after work, the steering wheel will shake for about the first five miles or so. I'm just wondering if anyone else with the original BFG's has a shake in their car like this. I'm assuming the tires are getting flat spotted from setting. Is this typical or should I be trying to get the tires replaced?
I think there has been a thread on this.....and it is common I think. Mine does it too for a few minutes after startup.

·
Registered
835 Posts
mine does too, and I've even got aftermarket wheels and tires. It did it with stock and now it does it with bfgoodrich potenza s03 poleposition tires too. I wonder if it isn't something to do with the suspension?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I think most tires do it to some degree. The GTO just seems to communicate this exceptionally well to the driver. In the 60's, my Dad had a set of nylon bias ply tires on a trailer. For the first half hour, it felt like the trailer was going over speed bumps.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I posted about this before. I firmly believe they develop flat spots just like you describe. Knowing that you shouldn't need to get PO'd any more.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Would this be a reason for over inflation during shipment?

·
J.A.F. User
61 Posts
Mister Mike hit on the basic reason for the out of balance syndrome when cold:

mistermike said:
I think most tires do it to some degree. The GTO just seems to communicate this exceptionally well to the driver. In the 60's, my Dad had a set of nylon bias ply tires on a trailer. For the first half hour, it felt like the trailer was going over speed bumps.
Like all performance, speed rated tires, the BFG's have nylon in them. Reason for this is unlike other belt materials, nylon contracts when it heats up. This keeps the carcass from forming areas would cause internal chafing due to the expansion, that would then cause the rubber to loosen from the belts and blowouts. Nylon likes to flatspot. Back in the "Old Days", they made some tires with a rayon carcass that did not flatspot and rode smoother. All cars with tires having at least one nylon belt experience cold tire shake. The stiffer the tire carcass, the more you will feel the clod flatspot. Plus - some cars just do a better job of transmitting the feel to the driver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts