LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
been beat by a Nana lately?
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope so. :angel: If not, please feel free to discontinue the reading of this thread. I don't want anyone to feel obligated, or to feel as though they are being asked to reach deeper than they're comfortable.

Still with me?

Okay then... A relief fund has been established for EMS workers affected by the hurricane. These are (for the most part) the dedicated, selfless individuals; paramedics, EMT's, first responders, that put their own safety aside to stay and do their jobs, even while being shot at, at times, all along knowing that they were probably in the same boat (no pun intended) as those they were rescuing and caring for. Some of you, I'm sure, are aware that I am a paramedic, and I am both humbled and heartbroken for these workers. As dedicated as I am to my career, I'm not sure I would have been able to do what they've done for the past week or more. The following email attachment was sent out to the 300 some employees of Medic here in Charlotte where I work:

Relief Effort for Rescue Personnel

Donation fund for EMS professionals in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and Florida: Money is being collected by NAEMT for EMS professionals who need help re-building their lives in the wake of the Hurricane Katrina. NAEMT urges anyone who is able to make a financial donation can send a check to the NAEMT EMS and Rescuer Relief Fund c/o the NAEMT Headquarters, PO Box 1400, Clinton, MS 39060-1400. Individual and corporate donations are welcomed and corporations are encouraged to match employee contributions. NAEMT has pledged to cover the operational costs of the fund, permitting all donations to the fund to be distributed in their entirety. The money collected will be made available to EMS professionals who need help re-building their lives in the wake of the Hurricane Katrina.

Again... please don't feel obligated. I know a lot of us have given, and then given some more. But if we don't help those who help us, then who will help us next time?

Thanks for your patience and attention and I respectfully ask that we not turn this into a thread about how shameful a few (I hope) public safety workers have acted in the wake of this disaster. If you don't want to give, that's cool. No one needs to know why.

Sincerely,
Lisa

1 - 1 of 1 Posts