LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So say I decide I want to paint my car burnt orange. IF I DO THIS, It will be to the point where all the interior will be out the car and sprayed. Engine bay. Everything. I won't leave a trace of red left. Do you guys think this would make the car worth less? Would I be better off yanking all my shit out and transferring to an orange car?

·
Registered
71 Posts
So say I decide I want to paint my car burnt orange. IF I DO THIS, It will be to the point where all the interior will be out the car and sprayed. Engine bay. Everything. I won't leave a trace of red left. Do you guys think this would make the car worth less? Would I be better off yanking all my shit out and transferring to an orange car?
That would be your choice but if you did it would not do anything to value of the car. It my go down a little bit but it would be your idea how you wanted to paint the car

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just more or less trying to get a feel for how other people feel about buy a car that has been color changed even though it would be done correctly
Yes and you can make the car have all new look to it that no one has ever seen. like flames or line or your own idea

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Living the dream!
4,785 Posts
I just think of it as if I were shopping for a silver GTO: Find one, vin says silver, but the car is red. I'd start asking questions. First thing to come to MY mind is a salvage that was pieced together.

Personally, I'd either look elsewhere or start talking about lowering the asking price.

In my opinion...Yes, it would depreciate the cost. But I guess it all depends on who's looking to buy it.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Other than what Hockeyman said, these cars have not gotten to the point where a color change will affect the selling price.

·
05 Looks, 04 Slow
1,174 Posts
Typically a GOOD QUALITY re-spray will increase value a bit. This is just based on the fact you won't have the scratched/clear coat issues anymore.

For a full color change, it MAY increase value for the fact it's pristine. It's not linear though. You would not get an increase equal to your spending. A GTO worth $8k is not going to be worth $13k just because the paint job was $5k, for example.

·
05 Looks, 04 Slow
1,174 Posts
What about a vinyl wrap. There is a guy in BR that quoted me around 1500
He wants to do everything, door jambs, engine bay, etc. Vinyl wraps don't address those areas. They also typically only last 3-5 years.

Advantage of a wrap is that its a bit more durable and doesn't really scratch. Disadvantage is needing it redone over time. The shops that I've talked to say it's great for a low price color change, if you're ok with seeing your OEM color when you open the door, hood, and trunk. Otherwise, a re-spray costs a similar amount.

·
05 Looks, 04 Slow
1,174 Posts
It may just be cheaper to demod the car a bit and sell it and get a different color. Be alot less trouble I think.
In terms of a full color change, yes it would be a lot less trouble and a lot cheaper to demod, sell, buy the color you want, and re-install mods.

A high quality paint job is almost the cost of a 04.

It won't hurt it any.
Yup, for a full color change you will likely be in the 5-10k range, depending on where you are and the quality.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just think of it as if I were shopping for a silver GTO: Find one, vin says silver, but the car is red. I'd start asking questions. First thing to come to MY mind is a salvage that was pieced together.
+1 to this, if the color of the car didn't match the tag, I'd run away. I was looking at a '67 GTO that I thought was Tyrol blue; not only was the car born Signet Gold, the blue was a shade from 1969.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
+1 to this, if the color of the car didn't match the tag, I'd run away. I was looking at a '67 GTO that I thought was Tyrol blue; not only was the car born Signet Gold, the blue was a shade from 1969.
Its a whole different story with the classics. Unless advertised as original, most have gone thru color changes to satisfy the owner. For resale most end up red or black.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Its a whole different story with the classics.
For some people, maybe. Some of us want the car the way it was originally, devoid of mods.

... most have gone thru color changes to satisfy the owner.
Which would be what's going on with the OP here, so not really a whole different story.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,062 Posts
Color changes don't bother me. Bad paint jobs will be very evident on close inspection. There is a big difference between a car getting repainted and resprayed. The latter's telltale signs being runs, overspray, poor tape jobs, etc.

·
05 Looks, 04 Slow
1,174 Posts
I think people are blowing up the paint not matching the vin issue a bit. The average buyer usually isn't too concerned about making sure the color matches the vin code.

If it was a "red flag," sure I'd ask questions, but I'd probably already have questions at that point. If the answer was as simple as "It was red, I decided I wanted it orange," that's pretty straight forward. If I really felt like the seller was hiding something, I'd probably be walking away well before asking about paint.

Now, if it was painted orange but still had red door jambs, trunk, and engine bay... that would just annoy the crap out of me.

·
Living the Dream
1,508 Posts
Color not matching a VIN won't affect anything for most buyers. I've been building, restoring and playing with cars for over 30 years and I've never seen a "proper" color change affect price in any negative way. We're not talking HEMI Cudas or 1969 COPO Camaros here. When you don't paint the jambs and under the hood doesn't match, that's when value goes down, because it's not a complete job.

I see paint INCREASE values all the time. The only problem is that when you go crazy custom, or an insane color, is that you cut down your potential number of buyers that see the same thing you do.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You could always document the whole process with pictures to prove that the color change was done out of "want" and not an afterthought while fixing potential damage from an accident. Plus it could prove the quality of the paint work at the same time. Just a thought...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
zech912
LS1GTO.com Forums
LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more!
Full Forum Listing