LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Cosmos M6 - RIP PBM M6 -375hp
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is going to be a bit of a rant. Back in March, something went wrong in the rear end. At low speed and on power, I could feel the driveshaft vibrating. If I hit it harder, it would worsen. So, I automatically suspect it to be the guibo joint and the legendary bad coupler. Take car to the shop and take a look. He outsources the work to a driveshaft shop in St Louis. With the Corona mess going on, the shop was apparently closed. So, car goes back in the garage and we wait. After 4-5 weeks, the shop finally calls back and are open. Get car in to get the A/C fixed and finally get the driveshaft issue solved. Shop doesn't respond to messages or answer their phone and ends up having my driveshaft for 10 days! Finally gets driveshaft back to the shop and installed. I pick the car up, which I haven't been able to drive for almost 2 months now. Driveshaft work on the receipt, "Balanced driveshaft" and the labor combined for the A/C work.

Shockingly, I pick the car up and drive it home. Imagine my surprise 馃く that the vibration is still there!! Today it is finally dry enough to get under the car in my tiny garage and below is my "fine" coupler. The driveshaft shop had them and said they looked "fine". And yes, I know there is a lot of rust under the car :cry:. My baby was totaled a year and a half ago and I got this from Chicago. Wish other people took care of sh!t like I did on my last girl.

Attachments

1 of 40,757
Get your money back.
gtog8ta $89 each. There is also a bmw part that fits. I believe its called a flex disk.
I didn鈥檛 bother finding the right part because I had a bad u-joint and there is no replacement. Picked up a dss shaft from Kollarracing.

Sorry about the rust. I鈥檇 be bummed to end up with that. Mine has yet to see snow.

Registered
Okay, this is going to be a bit of a rant. Back in March, something went wrong in the rear end. At low speed and on power, I could feel the driveshaft vibrating. If I hit it harder, it would worsen. So, I automatically suspect it to be the guibo joint and the legendary bad coupler. Take car to the shop and take a look. He outsources the work to a driveshaft shop in St Louis. With the Corona mess going on, the shop was apparently closed. So, car goes back in the garage and we wait. After 4-5 weeks, the shop finally calls back and are open. Get car in to get the A/C fixed and finally get the driveshaft issue solved. Shop doesn't respond to messages or answer their phone and ends up having my driveshaft for 10 days! Finally gets driveshaft back to the shop and installed. I pick the car up, which I haven't been able to drive for almost 2 months now. Driveshaft work on the receipt, "Balanced driveshaft" and the labor combined for the A/C work.

Shockingly, I pick the car up and drive it home. Imagine my surprise 馃く that the vibration is still there!! Today it is finally dry enough to get under the car in my tiny garage and below is my "fine" coupler. The driveshaft shop had them and said they looked "fine". And yes, I know there is a lot of rust under the car :cry:. My baby was totaled a year and a half ago and I got this from Chicago. Wish other people took care of sh!t like I did on my last girl.
By the look of the fasteners (don't look like they've been cracked in a number of years) I'd say you shop sold you a wolf ticket, there is no way in hell a shaft can be balanced without taking it loose. Look at the carrier bearing, when they go south it viberates. I klooked at a buddies, shop told him he needs to drop a grand on new axles, said they were bent and vibersting. I setup an indicator, less than .005 run out, IOW perfect, Looked at the carrier, gone down to the outer shell and not a hell of a lot of it left either. The "Guy" Dx'ed it just by a ride, I wish my ass had that kind of resolution.

Seriously?

Registered
Did they a least replace the carrier bearing?

Like LS2-GTO mentioned earlier, some of the late 90s BMWs (M3, etc.) used the same "flex discs", but looking it up in O'reillys or similar they're very expensive.

You can find all the parts separately with a quick search on eBay for a much lower price (Rockauto is probably the better option knowing they list them now). I kept it simple with GTOG8TAs "driveshaft repair kit" with two new flex discs + the carrier bearing along with a few other things I needed to order from there. Still waiting on it, though, after ordering a week ago, assured everything was in stock...

Seriously?
Here are the rubber isolators...

Screenshot_20200628-103832_Chrome.jpg

And after a little google search, but not listed directly for the GTO on Rock Auto, the center bearing assembly...

Screenshot_20200628-104405_Chrome.jpg

If these are not correct, let me know and I will either delete these or replace with the correct parts and numbers. Looks like the gtog9ta kit is good bang for the buck right now.

Worthless reject member
hmmn. i was not aware of a difference between the 04 and 05/06 in terms of the carrier support.

i have replaced the one on my 04, but don't remember where i got it from. i will have to look back on my rockauto and summit orders, as well as gtog8ta emails... will get back to you.

EDIT:

seems i ordered the 2005/2006 part number back in 2017 (dorman 934-670), which fits in right around the time that i replaced the support in my 04. has worked fine for 3 years.

Seriously?
The only reason I ask about this stuff is because I have been out of the loop for so long and eventually I may need to replace it. I parked my 04 a while ago and it has been sitting covered on a battery tender for the most part over the last few years. Before I parked it I changed the oil, cleaned it inside and out, ran the old gas out, filled it with 8 gallons of 93 and dumped a can of Sea Foam in it. Also aired the tires up to like 45 lbs. It has been out a couple of times here and there but that is it.

I'm getting to the point where I want to drive it a little more and put some more money into it without over doing it. I am almost to top scale at my job and I have been paying down debt so I will have some play money to invest into it. I am the original owner and it has survived my life changes and events so I owe it to the car... I am glad this website is still going despite the low traffic. I don't do Facebook and I refuse to ever consider it so I am glad this site is still a valuable resource for us.

Registered
Pulled the driveshaft this weekend to swap out the carrier bearing and rubber donuts. GTOG8TA's kit with all three pieces together was only $199--if anyone else is looking at swapping these out, take a good look at the condition of the rubber disks before ordering. Mine were both in pretty good shape surprisingly.

Wicked if you're flush with cash and run into a drivetrain issue, get the DSS 1-piece carbon driveshaft. Way simpler design that flanges up directly on either end and gets rid of these problems. Going through all the trouble to swap out this $50 bearing makes me wish I'd spent the money.

Registered
Get your money back.
gtog8ta $89 each. There is also a bmw part that fits. I believe its called a flex disk.
I didn鈥檛 bother finding the right part because I had a bad u-joint and there is no replacement. Picked up a dss shaft from Kollarracing.

Sorry about the rust. I鈥檇 be bummed to end up with that. Mine has yet to see snow.
I tried the bmw one. It fit but isnt as thick/strong. I ripped a new one to pieces in a very short time.

Registered
I went with a DSS carbon shaft in my 650whp GTO but on my Dad's stock '06 I just replaced the carrier bearing and the guibos. Two complete opposite ends of the spectrum there that both fundamentally solve the same issue. So long as you have a decent sized hammer, a vice, and a chisel then there really isn't any reason to pay someone to R&R a stock driveshaft for our cars. As far as the guibos go though, GTOG8TA aren't the cheapest around but with them you at least get decent customer service and a quality product.

Seriously?
Well, I am not exactly flush with cash at the moment but since I will be pulling the driveshaft soon to do the slave cylinder, I will go over it and see if anything is worn. I will keep it all in perspective if and when it comes time to fix more crap.

Registered
I went with a DSS carbon shaft in my 650whp GTO but on my Dad's stock '06 I just replaced the carrier bearing and the guibos. Two complete opposite ends of the spectrum there that both fundamentally solve the same issue. So long as you have a decent sized hammer, a vice, and a chisel then there really isn't any reason to pay someone to R&R a stock driveshaft for our cars. As far as the guibos go though, GTOG8TA aren't the cheapest around but with them you at least get decent customer service and a quality product.
I didnt even have a vice when I did my carrier bearing. I did use one of these and a fairly big hammer.

WickedGoat - I'm with you - I dont use or ever plan to use, Facebook. There is such a wealth of knowledge here on this site, and it only makes sense to contribute and read whenever I can.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts