LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you start your car, and put your foot on the brake to shift it into gear, does your car make a _very_ loud, audible "click" sound each time you depress the brake pedal? It's like someone is pressing one of those annoying clickers

Went to test-drive my car today since the dealer claims to have resolved the issues (note that the car has spent more time in the dealer's garage than in mine). Noted how loud this was - I certainly don't remember this noise, or at least not being as loud as it is now. Bear in mind the dealership had taken the dash apart and messed with the transmission mounts.

Just got a call from the dealer stating that this is "normal" since they looked at another GTO on the lot, and it makes the same noise. I'm headed over there shortly to go verify that this is the case.

Now more than ever, I think my car's problems are dealer-induced...

*sigh*

Thanks, in advance, for any info you can provide,

--Robert

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
nada

·
Registered
392 Posts
Robert, Mine does make a little noise nothing loud!!! I can tell that something(parts) are being moved(press brake pedal) to release and allow the shift shaft to move... Nothing serious to my ears. There must be no other noise... I have 2600mi. I've done a lot of shifts.... Cos :secret:

·
Step into the Torque
190 Posts
makes a slight noise that happens when the shift lever is unlocked. you know, the safety feature thing that keeps the car locked in park until you hit the brake. barely noticeable though.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
I noticed it one day in the garage on a rare occasion I didn't have my stereo going. It's just the park/brake interlock, I wouldn't worry about it. 5,600mi here.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
It's probably the brake light switch or something.

I had a LR discovery that clicked like crazy every time the brake was pushed, it was the brake light switch.

·
Registered
370 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Robert it sounds like its your shift interlock clicking :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got busy at work and haven't gone to pick up the car yet.

The car sat outside last night (the horrors!) in 40 degree weather... the coldest the Goat's been. I wonder if it's the brake light switch (I'm not even trying to shift the car), and if the reason I'm hearing it now, when I know I didn't before, is due to the colder temps. Guess I'll find out tomorrow, assuming the car makes it home with me tonight and stays in the garage...

Of course, the fact that they had my dash apart again, and were messing with the transmission mounts, makes me extremely nervous/jumpy. This dealership has a real track record of introducing additional problems to the car (paint chips/damage, steering wheel not reassembled correctly, clunk in front end (stabilizer bar/control arms), et. al. Holeshot, I'd stay away from Greenfield Pontiac if I were you...

--Robert

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
RobertHammen said:
I got busy at work and haven't gone to pick up the car yet.

The car sat outside last night (the horrors!) in 40 degree weather... the coldest the Goat's been. I wonder if it's the brake light switch (I'm not even trying to shift the car), and if the reason I'm hearing it now, when I know I didn't before, is due to the colder temps. Guess I'll find out tomorrow, assuming the car makes it home with me tonight and stays in the garage...

Of course, the fact that they had my dash apart again, and were messing with the transmission mounts, makes me extremely nervous/jumpy. This dealership has a real track record of introducing additional problems to the car (paint chips/damage, steering wheel not reassembled correctly, clunk in front end (stabilizer bar/control arms), et. al. Holeshot, I'd stay away from Greenfield Pontiac if I were you...

--Robert
Not a problem Robert
I've been ASE certified in service and parts for years.
I do all my own repairs except for certain warranty issues

·
Is that a FWD car?
29 Posts
RobertHammen said:
When you start your car, and put your foot on the brake to shift it into gear, does your car make a _very_ loud, audible "click" sound each time you depress the brake pedal? It's like someone is pressing one of those annoying clickers

Went to test-drive my car today since the dealer claims to have resolved the issues (note that the car has spent more time in the dealer's garage than in mine). Noted how loud this was - I certainly don't remember this noise, or at least not being as loud as it is now. Bear in mind the dealership had taken the dash apart and messed with the transmission mounts.

Just got a call from the dealer stating that this is "normal" since they looked at another GTO on the lot, and it makes the same noise. I'm headed over there shortly to go verify that this is the case.

Now more than ever, I think my car's problems are dealer-induced...

*sigh*

Thanks, in advance, for any info you can provide,

--Robert

I've had this happen to me before as well! Only a few times that I can remember...2 or 3...but yeah, I'd depress the brake petal and I'd hear a really loud click from the tranny. It seems rare though....no idea what it is or why. I mean I guess its the shift lock, but why sometimes its really loud I have no clue...0

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did get the car back and the dealer was right, another GTO on the lot made the same noise. It was around 40-45 degrees out when I picked the car up - coldest it's been. I did note that it wasn't the brake switch, but definitely was related to the shift interlock.

Since getting the car back, and garaging the car nightly, I haven't heard the noise. Daytime temps have been in the mid-to-upper 50's, so I think the clicking may have either been temperature-related, or something that needed a little time to settle down after the dash/tranny were touched by the dealer...

--Robert

1 - 13 of 13 Posts