LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pissin' in the wind.
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called around today and couldn't find any shops that would bleed/replace my brake fluid with DOT 5 that I have purchased from Summit. Everyone seems to only put the DOT 3 in that their specific shop sells. I guess that this is due to liablility reasons, plus from what I understand the DOT 5 stuff doesn't last as long. I guess that I can understand their stand on this with all the sue happy people in this world.

Does anyone know of a place preferably a "major chain" that will change this stuff out with the good stuff? I really don't feel like doing it myself. I guess I really don't need the high temp stuff for street use. I have SS brake lines and Hawk ceramics. Any thoughts on whether I should just take this stuff back and use the DOT 3 stuff?

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
DOT 5 Silicone Brake Fluid would eat the rubber components of you system.
One of the big advantages of DOT 5 silicone fluid is it has a higher boiling point than DOT 4, boiling at 500 degrees F. Silicone brake fluid and Glycol-based fluids should not be mixed. The complete system needs to be disassembled and cleaned before filling it with silicone fluid.

You can use DOT 5.1
Non-silicone based synthetic brake fluids. Sometimes referred to as DOT 5.1, it is compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake fluids. This fluid is advertised as "synthetic" but has much the same characteristics as DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids. This biggest advantage is its higher boiling point of over 500 degrees F, similar to silicone-based fluids. As long as the container says it is compatible with DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluids, you can mix it or top up the brake system with this synthetic fluid.

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
In adition to all the foregoing that is correct AFAIK, the factory brake fluid in the 2004s is a 'super DOT 4'. Not sure about 2005s, check the book that is supposed to be in your glovebox.

Stepping down to DOT 3 fluid might not make any difference on a light street duty car, but you might as well run a motor oil that doesn't meet the specs in your owner's manual as well.

·
Pissin' in the wind.
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. In retrospect, I think that they said that they can only fill it with what the manufact. recommends or what is on the cap. That should be sufficient I guess or at least I'll try it.:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
You can use this with your GTO and it is a superb brake fluid if you track you car and drive it daily.

Motul RBF600 Factory Line DOT 4 Racing Brake Fluid

1 - 5 of 5 Posts