Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I did the drag bag install ....
Borrowed a friends camera, and finally got around to making this thread
Took alot of pictures, showing everything I did for the install
I know there are a few threads like this around, but I'd just like to share
I bought the LS1speed.com drag bags:
http://www.ls1speed.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000602

Alright so tools needed:
Screwdriver, Needle Nose Plyers, Sawzall, a can of whoop as$ and a few beverages

I strongly recomend using one of these:
LIFE SAVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok first step was to jack the car up:
Jack from the rear differential, then put some jackstands under the car.... can never be too safe when you are talking about cars and the possibility of crushing you

Next get the wheels off
as you can see in this next picture what you are going to want to do: you want to stick that red baggy into that spring

Then get your sawzall and cut the spring stopers
Bottom one highlighted

Top one highlighted

Ok now you have done the physically hard part, next you need to do the mentally hard part, kinda like a puzzle, fitting that red baggy into the spring
as shown here, it doesnt always want to go easily,my passenger side went right in, but my drivers side didnt...... when you do this make sure the parking brake is off, it lets the rear end drop a little further, which is good

Next connect your air line to an air source

Then inflate the bags, this pushes them all the way in there and lets you adjust them to they fit right: This picture

The only thing left to do is run your air lines, which i am going to save for a day at work when i can get it on the lift, and not have to be on my back under the car zip tying the air line.......

Right after i did this, i went to pep boys to buy a can of VHT black paint to paint the hubs, and the brake caliper paint set to paint the rotors, i know they look rusty and all, and I dont like that look

Overall easy install, maybe an hour and a half working by myself with no reason to hustle...... at one point scraped my finger, and that was about the worst of it

·
Hammer of Justice
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.... holy snap thats a cheap price on powerslots if its for a pair?

·
Hammer of Justice
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cant say on improvement yet, will be running air lines tommorow on a lift at work
ls1speed.com sells them, thats where i got them from, they are a sponsor on the left

·
Pshhhhhht!
2,366 Posts
HOLY CRAP DREDZ!!!! I WILL SO GET THEM NOW!!! You must help me with the install dude when I get my wheels. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE....I'll buy you beer :)

·
WTF?
1,173 Posts
how are you keeping pressure on the bags without the lines connected? You're not supposed to drive on them without pressure as it keeps the bags in the proper position. I would think you could cut or pinch the bag in the compressed spring.

Nice job doing it without removing the springs and nice write up.

·
New PB MPH - 127.54
2,376 Posts
Any update on the wheel hop? I just bought a set off a board member and wanting some feedback.

·
Hammer of Justice
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First time I have seen it done without removing the coils. Good job.
Yeah it can be done with out removing the springs, its just alittle more aggrivating on the fingers to get it in there, a third hand helps, but not necesary

·
Hammer of Justice
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HOLY CRAP DREDZ!!!! I WILL SO GET THEM NOW!!! You must help me with the install dude when I get my wheels. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE....I'll buy you beer :)
Coors Light works! Actually I would have helped with out the offer of beer, but that works too, we should do a group install, with dustnf from TMCA too, he has mentioned he wants them, maybe get slonlo350 or riceman or any of the other tallahassee goats too

·
Hammer of Justice
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how are you keeping pressure on the bags without the lines connected? You're not supposed to drive on them without pressure as it keeps the bags in the proper position. I would think you could cut or pinch the bag in the compressed spring.

Nice job doing it without removing the springs and nice write up.
air line is in there, just not with the hole drilled and the shrader valve mounted.....its kinda tucked out of the way under that plastic piece under the trunk..... gonna probably drill through the trunk and mount it in spare tire well, alhough i did like the mounted in gas filler idea, but that was just more work..... i also lack a garage so it wasnt a project i could stop in the middle of and go get something to eat, so thats why i havent mounted the airline yet

·
WTF?
1,173 Posts
air line is in there, just not with the hole drilled and the shrader valve mounted.....its kinda tucked out of the way under that plastic piece under the trunk..... gonna probably drill through the trunk and mount it in spare tire well, alhough i did like the mounted in gas filler idea, but that was just more work..... i also lack a garage so it wasnt a project i could stop in the middle of and go get something to eat, so thats why i havent mounted the airline yet

I mounted mine in the gas door. It takes probably 10-15 minutes more time, and it makes it sooooo much easier to check/add/relieve pressure.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
i think it would be better to route the air line down thru the hole in the bump stop you just cut. there is a passageway underneath it. that will keep the line from ever getting pinched on a large bump.
air bags did nothing for me. i broke my driveshaft AFTER i put bags on

·
New PB MPH - 127.54
2,376 Posts
i think it would be better to route the air line down thru the hole in the bump stop you just cut. there is a passageway underneath it. that will keep the line from ever getting pinched on a large bump.
How did you manage that? Not exactly the feedback I was looking for after just purchasing a set for myself. lol.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
i just put a cam in and was making pretty fair power. i had heated up DRs but still managed to break them loose, got bad wheel hop for a couple of seconds and that was that. i make it all of 10 ft before the shaft snapped

·
Hammer of Justice
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good idea.... another thing i was thinking was to put a piece of funoodle on the metal bump stop between the bags, so there was no chance of pinching the bag, just an idea

·
Pshhhhhht!
2,366 Posts
Coors Light works! Actually I would have helped with out the offer of beer, but that works too, we should do a group install, with dustnf from TMCA too, he has mentioned he wants them, maybe get slonlo350 or riceman or any of the other tallahassee goats too
Hey man, I am down! Oh BTW, I will be getting an X-pipe to go with the spintechs. The drone is just KILLING me and hopefully this x-pipe will tone it down some. I'll let you know.

·
Hammer of Justice
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey man, I am down! Oh BTW, I will be getting an X-pipe to go with the spintechs. The drone is just KILLING me and hopefully this x-pipe will tone it down some. I'll let you know.
My straight pipe doesnt drone at all...... no mufflers no resonators and suprisingly no drone..... best exhaust out there i think, we have to let each other hear each others

·
Pshhhhhht!
2,366 Posts
My straight pipe doesnt drone at all...... no mufflers no resonators and suprisingly no drone..... best exhaust out there i think, we have to let each other hear each others
Hmm...you got an 04 and I got an 05. Could it be the engine or exhaust placement? I know on 04's the exhaust splits then comes together. Whereas on mine it comes together than splits. ARHG!!! Im hijacking your thread, sorry. Definetely give me a heads up if we plan on doing the drag bag install. I may be at sonic's next tuesday. Are you going?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts