LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you with drag bags had done any autocrossing with them? I took a driving school and noted a lot of understeer (pushing). It is also well documented the wheel hop our cars suffer. Knowing that tightening the rear will decrease understeer (or increase oversteer depending on how you look at it), I was wondering if drag bags stiffening the rear springs would give a similar response as a stiffer rear sway bar? One potiential solution for two problems.

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
Should be similar but not the same as.

If you try it be sure to run two air hoses and two schrader valves. If you run both bags off one filler valve you will have installed a pro-roll-bar as opposed to the anti-roll-bar effect you want.

I would _imagine_ for Auto-X the worst you will do popping a bag is slaughter a few cones. Apexing on a fast road racing course losing a drag bag might get the car to roll all the way over, what we call an 'undesirable outcome' in the medical field. I suppose you could roll a car on an Auto-X course, dunno.

Be advised also the factory shocks are reasonably well matched to the sprigns, as in enough pressure in the dragbags may put the spring/shock unit out of balance on the rear axle, and also enough pressure in the bags will put the spring/bag combo on the rear axle out of balance with the springs on the front axle.

You might scroll down this section some, there was a thread started last night by someone unhappy with drag bags, you might be able to buy his cheap.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I have not tracked my car. But, I can tell you. I have set my bags up with seperate feeds. Each bag has it's own sorce, and pressure. Allows for better tuning, and keeps the air from switching bags while cornering. I think that it helps alot. While still using street tires, on the street. I have noticed a flater cornering, and an all out better ride. I am still running stock springs, and shocks. I have also changed the front and rear sway bars.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys. Looking for one solution to cure two ills. Setting the bags with a minimum of pressure (5 lbs) should make the care react as if it had stiffer springs in the year. Now, if that's good or bad, I guess we'll find out.

Michael

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
autoX isnt a place for bags (these kind atleast).good springs and good set of shocks are the better route

1 - 5 of 5 Posts