LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the drag bags last night...The rear of the car is 1-2 inches higher than before...don't know if I like that. Anyone else with this???

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
How many PSI do you have in the bags. When I take mine to the track and put 7/8lbs in it I do get the stink bug look. Not very noticeable unless you know what to look for. On the street with 4/5lbs I look stock.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now I have 8 pds in them. I ran the bags with seperate lines instead of one single line that the kit comes with.

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
tafc550 said:
Right now I have 8 pds in them. I ran the bags with seperate lines instead of one single line that the kit comes with.
I ran my with the single line but it shouldn't matter as long as your running the same in both of yours. If I remember correctly the recommended lowest PSI is 5lbs. I would lower mine to 5 and take another look. I've had to let all the air out of mine work (Push down manually a few times) the suspension and then refill to get the stock look.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ironmancan said:
I ran my with the single line but it shouldn't matter as long as your running the same in both of yours. If I remember correctly the recommended lowest PSI is 5lbs. I would lower mine to 5 and take another look. I've had to let all the air out of mine work (Push down manually a few times) the suspension and then refill to get the stock look.
Ok I'll try that. I just dropped them to 5 and didn't notice much of a difference, so I'll try deflating them.

·
Just a Re-engineered Cavalier
3,830 Posts
I did mine, and the ride hight is maybe a 1/4" higher than before, and I have about 7-8 in them now.

·
That ain't no cake
2,665 Posts
I just got mine from J--- and the instructions say they are for a Mazda van? They are made by air lift. They measure 5 1/4" dia. and 4 1/4" long. Anyone have measurments or part#'s of the ones they have.

·
Need To Drive More
1,475 Posts
bluhaven said:
They are made by air lift.
Yes, thats what mine said but there were from BMR. Your dimensions seem correct.

Also, I run 10lbs on the street/22lbs at the track and the car has the stink bug look but I get 1.7 60' times.

I just want to go fast.

·
That ain't no cake
2,665 Posts
LFSADRG said:
Yes, thats what mine said but there were from BMR. Your dimensions seem correct.

Also, I run 10lbs on the street/22lbs at the track and the car has the stink bug look but I get 1.7 60' times.

I just want to go fast.
On the instructions that came with the bags it says to locate the stem between the 2nd and 3rd coil is that what you did?

·
Just a Re-engineered Cavalier
3,830 Posts
LFSADRG said:

I just want to go fast.
What mods do you have and what trans? Those are killer 60' times. I am also trying to gauge what I should start with at the track. I was thinking 15-17psi and work it around from there.

·
B
64 Posts
How many lbs of air would you need to keep the wheel from rubbing? I do not plan on any drag racing just want to ride and carry the occasional back seat passenger with relative confidence.
Also,what are the dimensions of the bags? My friends own a Mustang shop.They have a set of bags on the shelf for about 40 bucks.

·
Need To Drive More
1,475 Posts
bluhaven said:
On the instructions that came with the bags it says to locate the stem between the 2nd and 3rd coil is that what you did?
The stems on my bags are on the bottom. The reason for cutting the lower bump stop. They are BMR bags but say AirLift on them.

greg'sgoat said:
What mods do you have and what trans? Those are killer 60' times. I am also trying to gauge what I should start with at the track. I was thinking 15-17psi and work it around from there.
60' time was 1.749. The others were consistent less a hundred thousandths. Trans is stock with only the GMM Ripshift which does nothing for 60' times. The rear suspension has the Koni adjustables set at full firm, air bags at 22lbs, slp sway bar set on the firm notch with the poly end link bushings, and BFG DR's. Just installed the Pedders crossmember bushings and the differential bushing. Purchased items from My First GTO(Frank). Havent been to the track with those installed yet. Burn out in 2nd gear, pump the clutch pedal 10 times to cycle the fluid, stage then launch at 4k. Tips were courtesy from D-GTO, thanks.

Other mods are SW LT 1 3/4" headers coated by Bob at Precision Motorsports, SW 3" exhaust, LPE intake, P/P TB by MyGoatBites, ported intake by CHarris, and a Predator 91 octane tune. Pretty simple. Air in/Air out and the suspension to get the power down.

BIZZY said:
How many lbs of air would you need to keep the wheel from rubbing? I do not plan on any drag racing just want to ride and carry the occasional back seat passenger with relative confidence.
Also,what are the dimensions of the bags? My friends own a Mustang shop.They have a set of bags on the shelf for about 40 bucks.
I found that anything under 10lbs that the 275/40 17 tires rubbed when going around corners, especially the passenger side. I keep mine at 10lbs for every day use and the ride is fine. Odd thing about these bags is that they ARE THE SAME as what I have in my 72 LeMans. If you can score the $40 bags then go for it.

(picture from Summit racing)

Also check out Fred Beans for the Saturn Vue bags. They come with two shrader valves instead of one.

·
The Jolly Roger
277 Posts
just ordered my drag bags and a set of rear zero drop kings springs. think that will stiffen it up some? sure hope so...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Air bags

Air Lift has been making bags since the 60's. I have them on my 67 GTO. In fact one had a hole from rubbing against the spring (many years of use) and they replaced it for free. I have an extra one and will check the dimensions. I suspect most of the vendors get them from Air Lift and just resell them.

I would be interested in knowing the Air Lift part # as these "GTO" bags may fit quite a few other vehicles and be much cheaper from Summit or Air Lift.

MarkC

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got my bags from Speed Inc. and they came with 2 valves. In the package was a tag that said Air Lift #33304. I installed the bags last night and got my Nitto DR's installed today. i took a ton of pictures if anyone is interested. With 5psi on each bag the car raised about a 1/4-1/2 inch. It matches the front perfectly on mine. I'm very happy. I went over some railroad tracks and took a couple of descent corners with no rubbing. My 64 also has a set of Air Lift bags that I installed back in the late 80's.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts