LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had trans rebuilt and added a 2500 stall converter. Still getting use to driving with a stall converter but it seems all traction is gone. What is a good tire to run for traction and I would be happy to get 6000 miles a year out of it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
2500 is a super baby stall. MT SS will last that long if not a lil longer, mine did.

Do NOT plan to drive in wet weather on a DR.

·
11.94 et @ 113.69 mph
525 Posts
What is it about a 2500 converter that you are having to get used to? I have a 3600 FTI converter and I can hardly tell it has a over stock converter. Now the traction issue I get. You can pretty much toss a coin as for which DR if you are just on the street. Personally I like the Mickey SS , Mickey Street R and Hoosier DR2. I know you didn't ask but I'll throw it in anyway . All 3 tires worked extremely well at the track. As for street milage I can not say as my car sees the track 95% over the street. Oh yeah and I wouldn't trust any of them in the rain. I was trying to outrun a on coming rain storm home from the track and was all kinds of sideways before I could hit the next exit off the freeway. Got on the side of the freeway and waited it out for almost an hour.

·
Is that FWD?
1,161 Posts
I have 3200 stall with heads, cam, etc Running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tire. They hook very good, I can barely spin them when they are warmed up. Mine is a summer only car though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The new nitto 555r2 was designed to hook like a nt05r but be wet weather friendly.

Looked again and I am running Nitto 555 G2 (no traction). The second set I have are Mickey Thompson ET street R and have not tried them since the rebuild, they hooked well before the stall converter but not sure how long they will last. Maybe something in between and ok too drive if wet? I live close to work only two miles or so.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Heres a link. Like I said before, they are aimed at hooking up as good as a NT05r and having wet weather capability. They came out not long ago and the price is pretty reasonable too

·
Yes my name is Holden
538 Posts
Greetings Guys; This is the result of us Car Nuts making more torque that the street tires can handle. I had exceeded 500 Lbs. Ft. at the fly wheel back around 2004 in my Bronze Brick. I went to MT drag radials, problem solved. But rain! Being a hobby car, wasn't a problem? Well 2016-17 (?) went over to Milwaukee for Car Craft Nat's & ran the Auto-X (yes w/ MT drag radials) @ 27 PSI. Well on the way home 80 miles it rained VERY hard as most cars were on the side of the road, not me. 60 years of being some what side ways was nothing new. Sure I had to slow down to 35 - 40 & constant wheel correction for a hour & a 1/2. Then the next day I wondered why my arms were tired? Oh numerus runs on the Auto- X & 1-1/2 hours of tense mussels in the rain. I should mention the MT's were brand new. Now on the GuTOo (less power, more weight) I had put Dunlop Direzza's UTQG 200 on & was pleasantly surprised how well they hooked. And in the rain they are Fantastic. So take a look at any summer ONLY tire with a UTQG 200 or under. You will be happy. This is a picture of me on the Dunlop's at Byron 2017, Ole' Bob.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heres a link. Like I said before, they are aimed at hooking up as good as a NT05r and having wet weather capability. They came out not long ago and the price is pretty reasonable too
you have these on yours

Thanks I will give them a try. I follow a lot of your post do you have these on yours?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
you have these on yours

Thanks I will give them a try. I follow a lot of your post do you have these on yours?
I don’t yet but I’ll need tires soon and that’s what I’m going with. I have nto5r’s and you can’t drive in the rain on them. You’ll hydro plane easily at 45mph. These new tires have a good tread design for water evacuation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don’t yet but I’ll need tires soon and that’s what I’m going with. I have nto5r’s and you can’t drive in the rain on them. You’ll hydro plane easily at 45mph

Thanks again. Before he moved to Maryland Miker did some work for me and he knew these cars. I put you in that same category.

·
GR-RRR!
6,250 Posts
So take a look at any summer ONLY tire with a UTQG 200 or under. You will be happy.
I'll say at the very least this statement is not universal. I have Bridgestone RE-11s on the GTO, bought them specifically to help with autocross. They are a great handling tire, but as a straight line tire, they suck ass. Okay with a moderate start, but try to really launch the car and all hope is lost. The best 60ft I could ever manage with them was a very high 2.2, most often it is a 2.3. Aired up or aired down, makes no difference. I couldn't even get good traction out of the hole at a well prepped track, seemed like they bite better on the street. But on the road course they were really pretty good given their size and the weight of the car.

For reference the RE-11s are rated at 200 but even that is PR, they were rated at 180 the year before and the only reason the rating changed was because the SCCA changed their street car tire limit to tires no lower than 200 and Bridgestone didn't change a thing, only the rating number molded into the sidewall.

·
Worthless reject member
43,817 Posts
with 460-480 whp and a 3150lb curb, my mickey thompsons sucked. the only good lauch i could get on the street was with the hitmaster. Even then, it would spin when it hit peak torque or on the 1-2 shift on some surfaces. Tuning with bags and the dual-adjustables in the back helped that, but it still happened.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Living in Florida, it's hard drive your car and not in the rain occasionally. I had bfg's on my 05 a4 and went to get some breakfast. We were doing 45-50 when the rain came. The rear end passed us shortly there after. We ended up in a ditch backwards.Don't drive drag radial's in the rain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
with 460-480 whp and a 3150lb curb, my mickey thompsons sucked. the only good lauch i could get on the street was with the hitmaster. Even then, it would spin when it hit peak torque or on the 1-2 shift on some surfaces. Tuning with bags and the dual-adjustables in the back helped that, but it still happened.
Have you tried the Viking duel adjustable shocks?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts